M1 IPad Pro version

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Flowingglower

M1 IPad Pro version

Post by Flowingglower » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:30 pm

I know this has been raised before, but i wanted to flag this topic again. specifically as we now have M1 CPUs on MacBooks, as well as M1 SOCs in the iPad Pro’s AND Live now is in the final stages of being delivered as a M1 native application.

How bout releasing it for the iPad, as well? I assume there wouldn’t be a need for bigger additional changes for the iPad.
with the Magic Keyboard/Trackpad case one could just use it as on the MacBook.

Would be a total dream come true for me, as i looove iPad Pro’s.

jonahj

Re: M1 IPad Pro version

Post by jonahj » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:52 pm

+1

This would be amazing. I'm hoping the 11.1 M1 compatible beta will open the door for this feature.

atomic_afro

Post by atomic_afro » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:33 pm

I strongly suspect why we don't see Reason, Ableton, full Cubase, et al. on iPad even after M1 Pros exist are for two main reasons:

1. Apple's terrible 30% cut. The only known way around this for companies like Adobe which are most analogous to Ableton, Steinberg, and Reason Studios is with subscriptions that you purchase outside of the app store. So get ready to pay for yet more expensive services on a monthly/annual basis. If I was to take a guess, Reason will be the first to crack into iOS sometime in 2022 or 2023 as they already have a subscription model.
2. Stability of CoreAudio/Auv3 on iPad. As folks like Dylan Paris have pointed out multiple times, there is something "off" about the stability of iPad music ecosystem when using multiple Auv3s in a host. Now it remains to be seen if it's something fundamental that Apple needs to fix, or it's a function of how most Auv3 plugins and hosts on iPad are made by very small teams that don't have the bandwidth to properly bug bash the way the majors do. I will say it's conspicuous how Logic Pro X and MainStage are not on iPad yet, so there may be something more fundamental going on. As I'm not an iOS developer I can't say for sure.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:46 pm

I think it's just a cost issue more than anything. People don't seem to be willing to pay the same prices as desktop software for the same functionality on an iPad. Even though it adds to development and support costs immensely.

Look at how cheap you can get Fabfilter or Eventide iOS apps compared to the desktop versions. Would you really pay $700 for Ableton Suite on an iPad if you were a new user? Not even sure how cross-platform cross-grade deals would work, but still....
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:00 am

Sure it would be nice if the upcoming Apple Silicon version would run on an iPad, but TBH there are solutions which are available now which are preferable.

Firstly Live on iPad is already possible to try out. Get your laptop, and use either Sidecar, or Duet Display ( what I use) and you can put Live on your iPad right now, and prod at it. I think you'll notice the interface isn't satisfactory.

Live's interface wasn't designed for touch. I use Live on a Windows Touch laptop ( zenbook flip) and made my own interface in M4L which is finger sized and suited to my purpose (mix recalls, send resetting, etc)

Also, for completeness - I made the same interface on the iPad in TouchOSC (and Lemur) and that sends OSC from the iPad to the M4L device mentioned above so they communicate wirelessly - and I can record not only snapshots on both, but also clips of the automation.

I suggest that this sort of thing is the kind of interface people might enjoy on an iPad for Live, rather than trying to hit an i/o dropdown 10 px high. People probably want a device relevant port which adds functionality (ie it's differently useful) , not a 1-to-1 copy.

So the UI and functionality would need a deep re-think to justify Ableton's dev cost, and Ableton are a big monolith now, they aren't the young risk takers.
I think this a space for a new developer to step in with a product with clip launching, and some other killer feature which is out of left-field. A young developer happy to take $35 for their app. That's where innovation comes from. Ableton aren't really innovators any more. No offence meant, but they are not that kind of company.