Unlock essential sampler automations: sample source, start, end, loop points

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
chigaco

Unlock essential sampler automations: sample source, start, end, loop points

Post by chigaco » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:07 pm

So one of my favourite ways of using Ableton is to just jam on the sampler and record the audio or resample onto another track. I do a lot of my best sound design like that and sometimes when the feeling is right, I focus on the performance of the jam in a way that results in fully-formed experimental pieces. This kind of process is one of the most exciting aspects of Ableton for me.

Now, the problem I often find myself in (and frustratingly so) is that I sometimes end up with little to no possibilities of easily editing my performance at the root. Often, I have to stick to the audio recording and do as much as I can with that, never being able to go back to changing the midi notes, or changing the effect chain, the filters, parameters, etc etc. The reason for that is because Ableton DOES NOT record any of the following automations:

- Sample source: if I hot-swap a sample during my jam, the previous sample is lost and non-editable, only the last sample that was loaded when saving the project is accessible, unless I deliberately manage my layers in a non-destructive way, photoshop style. Easier said than done when you're jamming alone or with friends!

- Start, end and loop points: If I move the playhead on the sample waveform, create a loop, or do any manipulation in the source material parameters, none of those changes are recorded.

I just think it would be SO GOOD if those automations were implented someday. I dare say, my whole music practice would be transformed! Just imagine the collection of presets one could build, and perform again and again for live sets...

Please! :mrgreen: :!: