Support for linux?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
can't think of any good names

Support for linux?

Post by can't think of any good names » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:48 pm

I know linux has very little use compared to apple and windows, but seeing how it is far more modular, is free, and is becoming far more popular (the only reason I'm still using windows now is because ableton doesn't support linux, and you need to buy apple's own computers to install osx), I feel this would be worthwhile. Plus the more applications are supported on linux, the more the customer base for these operating systems will grow.

Also idk the ins and outs of software development, but seeing as it's a unix-based system, I'd naively suspect it would be far easier to develop support for linux than it would have been for windows.

Anyway, I just want to say something because I think it's a shame. I wonder what would need to happen to rally support; I know I'd be willing to pledge a donation in hopes of this happening, and if enough people did the same there wouldn't be any resistance. I'm really fed up with windows lol...

jonljacobi

Re: Support for linux?

Post by jonljacobi » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:15 pm

+1 but I'm not holding my breath. Too much extra work for not very much profit. If and when that changes, I'm sure you'll see version of Live for Linux.'

can't think of any good names

Post by can't think of any good names » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:43 am

jonljacobi wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:15 pm
+1 but I'm not holding my breath. Too much extra work for not very much profit. If and when that changes, I'm sure you'll see version of Live for Linux.'
Yeah rip. Really sucks how linux isn't more supported. It's just way better. I suppose that's what happens when you don't have any greedy capitalists colonizing all the resources for you...

I would probably pay double just to get it on linux haha

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:48 pm

I went looking to see why Linux is kind of the red-headed stepchild. There's a real issue with compatibility within Linux distros, as well as breaking user space. I.e., changing code that breaks programs people have written. I don't pretend to know everything but there's a thread on KVR that I started to find out.
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 7&t=574461

There are a bunch of links to various discussions on the subject

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:31 am

jonljacobi wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:48 pm
I went looking to see why Linux is kind of the red-headed stepchild. There's a real issue with compatibility within Linux distros, as well as breaking user space. I.e., changing code that breaks programs people have written. I don't pretend to know everything but there's a thread on KVR that I started to find out.
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 7&t=574461

There are a bunch of links to various discussions on the subject
Most of the issue is Linux is not a simple OS to pilot if you are not a bit of a nerd already. Not to say it isn't very capable or that average Joe cannot learn it but simple things most users on mac/win take for granted can be painful to figure out for the uneducated when you need to mess with command lines and such. For all these reasons, the fact the userbase would be probably less than 1% in numbers and that most people out there in the production realm aren't all that clued up on the inner workings of systems, nor interested to learn make it a tough ask for little actual benefit. Has nothing to do with greedy capitalist fat cats (the cliché war cry of almost every Linux user), it's a basic run of numbers, the work just is not worth the investment unless you have a real guru on the team that wants to make it happen.

One can certainly dream, but reality suggests it probably wont happen any time soon.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:32 am

I think financially, it doesn't make sense. But it probably doesn't for the DAWS (Tracktion, Bitwig, etc.) that do. But the development tools you use make it easier or harder. I also think that Live, with all its included/proprietary FX and instruments could avoid the plug-in issue altogether and be relatively easy to port.

It just comes down to will and desire. If those aren't there, then it will be a long, possible forever wait.

But I did find it fascinating how splintered the Linux universe actually is. I also didn't realize that the kernel isn't the exemplar of efficiency at this point.