Arrangement Transport - Midi - Bug?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
yoshisakan

Arrangement Transport - Midi - Bug?

Post by yoshisakan » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:19 am

Hey All,

I am running into some issues with Transport location when triggering via Midi. I would appreciate any insight you all may have into this.

Arrangement Insert Marker - "Arrangement playback begins from the insert marker. You can set it to any position in the Arrangement by clicking there."

This feature works when using the space bar or clicking play, but when a midi device is sending transport, playback does not start from the Arrangement Marker. It starts either at the very beginning of the arrangement, or approximately the middle of a selected loop.

Arrangement Position - "In playback, this displays the current Arrangement position as bars-beats-sixteeths. Drag vertically or click and type in numbers to set the arrangement position."

If I manually set the Arrangement Position, then click play from my midi device. Playback begins either from the very beginning of the arrangement, or somewhere after the set Arrangement Position, but never AT the Arrangement Position.

Setup:
Windows 10, Ableton Live 11 Trial.
I am using an Elektron Rytm to send transport with Overbridge - Sync/Transport disabled in the VST - and Midi sync enabled in Ableton settings. In this configuration the clock is stable and midi transport actions are received.

I would submit this as a bug but I can't open tech cases with a Trial, however I am not going to buy the product if I can't figure out how to resolve this.

Tarekith

Re: Arrangement Transport - Midi - Bug?

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:26 pm

I believe that’s just a limitation with the MIDI spec, which only supports start and stop messages and not resume.

yoshisakan

Re: Arrangement Transport - Midi - Bug?

Post by yoshisakan » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:37 pm

Does that mean there are no midi controllers that can resume? I don't remember it working this way in Logic.