Improved install packs: concurrent installs

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
svennirusl

Improved install packs: concurrent installs

Post by svennirusl » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:17 pm

Intro:
When I've pressed Install in the Packs window, the install window locks up Ableton. The user (me) has to wait while an install finishes, and then press one button, and then keep waiting.

Feature:
I'd like to be able to press the other install buttons, and walk away, so I don't have to needlessly babysit Ableton.

Possible designs:

1: Easy way
No UI design changes. Just unlock the install buttons.
If this feature is missing beause it can't be designed, that'd be the workaround.

2: Slightly more work (but probably better)

Build an "Installing" window which calls and presents the current Installing window, with options below to add to an install queue.

Here's a crude photoshop mockup, I wasn't quite clear on the minutae of the design language etc...

Reasons

I have ADHD. Pretty hefty ADHD too. Anything that disrupts a workflow sends me off somewhere, and it takes us longer to get back to things. The particular pattern here is very draining, having to just stare at a window for lots of minutes (if you're doing a fresh install), just waiting for the opportunity to click a button.

So this is, well, kind of an accessability issue. Or at least accessability adjacent. It's not as serious a hurdle as some, but I do hope you take it seriously.

Thanks,
S.