Hotswapping samples (global or per track)

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
goose3000

Hotswapping samples (global or per track)

Post by goose3000 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:40 pm

As it stands, working in audio has some limitations when it comes to replacing samples. Here's a classic scenario to first understand what I'm referring to.

I work mostly in audio, drums included. When you've laid out a full project of samples with kicks, snares, percs and fx, you've sort of locked yourself with those choices. To switch any of those samples to a new kick, or a new snare, you have to manually replace every single one. The current work around for this is to right click within the WAV editor and select Manage Sample File > Hotswap to another sound.

This does work, however the limitations of it are as followed-
  • Cycling through samples is disengaged when clicking off the browser for any reason
  • The swapped samples will be the same length as the original [this should be a choice]
  • Swapping any sample is global. It replaces every instance of that sample instead of per track [Problematic when you've duplicated a track for layering and want to only change the layers version]
Heres a quick mockup of how I'd see this being incorporated;

I've opted to label it as "Replace Settings" as this particular verbiage assumes you want to customize what settings of the sample will be replaced. The mockup of second menu [the replace settings themselves] gives 3 options.
  • Hotswapping the sample Per Track, or Globally. Globally would replace that particular sample in every instance its found in the project. This is the default action of Live 11 currently.
  • Adjust Length: This means the exact length of the original sample will be retained to the replacement. 'Start' and 'End' refer to the points of the original sample. In other words, the crop of the original.
  • Apply Fade to: This will allow you to retain the fades if any, on the start and/or end of the original sample.

More control is better sometimes ! Enjoy and please comment and upvote if you feel this could be useful to you.