Keep default shortcuts regardless of language?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Dugrok

Keep default shortcuts regardless of language?

Post by Dugrok » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:10 pm

Hi everyone,

My apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere.

I'm running into an issue where certain shortcuts do not work properly when using a language other than English as an input language on the keyboard on Mac OS. I suspect this not to be exclusive to my keyboard layout, as evidenced in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=233756.

My default (and ideally only) keyboard layout is Canadian French [Français canadien - CSA], but when using it Ableton doesn't register keyboard shortcuts to CMD + OPT + L, or CMD + OPT + I. It does register some others though (CMD + OPT + B works to hide and show the browser). Long story short, it's a pain to switch back and forth between input languages and defeats the purpose of these shortcuts in the first place (hiding and showing elements of the UI instantly and without having to mouse over to them).

This is the case even after Ableton has been switched into French (which I honestly don't really care for; I speak English perfectly fine and I'd rather have Ableton set in the language that I'll be googling info for: English).

Would it be possible to have an option for Ableton disregard the input language, or, to remap default shortcuts natively?
Last edited by Dugrok on Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
| 14" 2021 64 GB M1 Max MBP , OS 12.4 | 15" 2015 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 MBP, OS 11.6 | UAD Twin and x6 | Ableton Live 11 Suite v11.2

Tarekith

Re: Keep default shortcuts regardless of language?

Post by Tarekith » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:50 pm

I'll make sure this gets passed on, might be a bug.

Dugrok

Post by Dugrok » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:44 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:50 pm
I'll make sure this gets passed on, might be a bug.
Thank you so much!
| 14" 2021 64 GB M1 Max MBP , OS 12.4 | 15" 2015 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 MBP, OS 11.6 | UAD Twin and x6 | Ableton Live 11 Suite v11.2

Dugrok

Post by Dugrok » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:13 pm

In case anyone is stumbling onto this thread, I did get in touch with tech support who confirmed this is a known bug on some languages.

Here's what they responded:
Hello there,

I am Riccardo from the Tech Support Team. Thanks for contacting us. I am sorry to hear about your issue.
We are aware of a bug where specific keyboard shortcuts don't work well when certain languages are set as "Input Source". A workaround is to set the Input Source to English.

At the moment, I am unable to give a specific date for when this might be addressed. Therefore, I must ask you for your understanding and patience. I have added another point to the field story to bring it further up in the queue.

I'm very sorry that I don't have better news for you at the moment.

However, I have attached your case to the report, and we will let you know if/when the bug is fixed in the next update.
It really is too bad. Switching my input language isn't a great solution, as many important keys get remapped in the process and that makes naming tracks, or going back and forth to other apps (songwriting notes, scripts, etc) cumbersome.

Really hoping for a fix soon as this is a pretty significant irritant for my workflow.