Playhead visibility

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
baseinstinct

Playhead visibility

Post by baseinstinct » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:14 pm

Regardless of resolution or colour scheme, playhead should be clearly visible, I think. A glance should let you clearly know if playhead is in the view, if it is moving or if it is outside the view.

If you hear playback, it might be from external sources after all.

At present playhead too much resembles the grid lines. It should be blinking quickly black and white, and too quickly to distract.

jonljacobi

Re: Playhead visibility

Post by jonljacobi » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:08 pm

I never have this issue. Maybe use page redraw instead of scroll?

Rootxp

Post by Rootxp » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:37 pm

The thing where i would absolutely agree with is: SESSION VIEW PLAYHEAD visibility.
Because at the moment, there is NONE, haha.

Compare that to Bitwig. There's a playhead in each clip.

I'm not saying: get rid of the little cake-diagram in the middle of the Track. It's also a valid way of seeing the playhead. But hell, why on earth is there no View of Clip-Progress-Status WITHIN the ACTUAL Clips?
If you need another beautiful example of how it could look, google for Touchable Pro and Yeco OSC. Both were really nice Touchinterfaces, both show Clip-Playprogress where it actually happens: in the clip.

Concerning the Arrangement Playhead: You really could experiment with choosing a high-contrast Theme (also make a custom one at Ableton Themes webpage). It's not that un-visible then :)

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:13 pm

I hear what you guys say. it might be that my contrast is insufficent, although I would not adjust the whole screen to this single line :D
However, it might be the skin that I use the same colour for the playhead vertical grid lines or simply.

Good points on session view.