logic look

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
abel

logic look

Post by abel » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:34 am

dont know if this has been posted yet...I was actually ready to give up on logic audio completely until i just couldnt get over the Live look and unmodular GUI. Some "easier on the eyes" skins would be great. The mixer should be more 3D and i should be able tear the clip section or browser section onto my other monitor and resize it how I may. The flat look, shady colors, and blending fonts are hard to read and uncustomisable. Though some may feel that this is a kind of nit pick, in logic the easy format and modular scenes make me feel way more organized (even if i am not) which can help immensly when trying to mix a complex song.

thanks
abel

Poster

Post by Poster » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:23 am

please not..
logic has one of the most ugly designed interface I've seen..

Peropaal

Post by Peropaal » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:28 pm

Poster wrote:please not..
logic has one of the most ugly designed interface I've seen..
I dont agree, I found Logic to be quite easy on the eyes. I really liked the design, compared to Cubase sx, which I really found... but I digress.

I refer to the latest windows version, the state of the osx version I dont know anything about, I will have a look.

But in Live, the graphics are there, I guess you could change them.. and the Skin-files should be possible to hack.
sigs are out of fashion

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:04 am

I don't think the Live interface should be changed too much, but one thing I would find helpful:

Please give audio tracks and audio/au/vst instrument tracks a slightly different colour/shade - so you can discern between them easier, esp. when playing live with a controller box.

R.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:04 pm

The flat GUI of Live is, in my opinion, by far one of the best GUI designs in a software like this ever. It has long been one of the most common GUI burdens of audio software to force everything into a "hardware-like" semi-3D look -- very much because of software designers striving to give potential users a convincing and familiar impression of their products during the gradual transition into using more and more software tools in the industry. This involves also trying to maintain a certain coolness factor of hardware units in software form.

I hope these leading motives of audio software GUI design are starting to decrease and more functionally designed environments, like the one seen in Ableton Live, will be more common.

Living_Fiction

Post by Living_Fiction » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:52 am

Nokatus wrote:The flat GUI of Live is, in my opinion, by far one of the best GUI designs in a software like this ever. It has long been one of the most common GUI burdens of audio software to force everything into a "hardware-like" semi-3D look -- very much because of software designers striving to give potential users a convincing and familiar impression of their products during the gradual transition into using more and more software tools in the industry. This involves also trying to maintain a certain coolness factor of hardware units in software form.

I hope these leading motives of audio software GUI design are starting to decrease and more functionally designed environments, like the one seen in Ableton Live, will be more common.
Word. I couldn't agree more.

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:23 am

live's unmodular flat two screen GUI is a godsend. Finally I don't have a modal GUI.

milfbait

Post by milfbait » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:38 am

I love Logic's look.

When I first saw Live, I thought it looked horrible, but now I love it. Beauty is only skin deep, its whats on this inside that counts. 8)

davy

Post by davy » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:56 am

Ableton Live has without doubt one of the best user interfaces in software land (= audio + other). It's clear, simple, just two screens or so, no space gets wasted... etc. etc. etc.

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:52 pm

Live’s interface is great!!!

I believe Live’s interface is created with 4 bit graphics (16 colors) and this is properly because of memory savings… Skin/more colors will most likely render Live slower…

Sincerely, it’s easy to adapt Live’s interface…

melocoton

Post by melocoton » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:31 am

I love the look and flat colors of Live's interface. We really should be allowed to undock the various windows though and move them around over multiple monitors. There's no excuse for not being able to see the mixer and the arrange view at the same time or not being able to make the midi piano roll fullscreen while you edit midi info. This wouldn't take anything away from the existing interface design because the windows would default to the location they're in now and you wouldn't have to move them if you didn't want to. But it would allow for greater flexibility for people who would take advantage of it.

siddhu

Re: logic look

Post by siddhu » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:37 am

abel wrote:dont know if this has been posted yet...I was actually ready to give up on logic audio completely until i just couldnt get over the Live look and unmodular GUI. Some "easier on the eyes" skins would be great. The mixer should be more 3D and i should be able tear the clip section or browser section onto my other monitor and resize it how I may. The flat look, shady colors, and blending fonts are hard to read and uncustomisable. Though some may feel that this is a kind of nit pick, in logic the easy format and modular scenes make me feel way more organized (even if i am not) which can help immensly when trying to mix a complex song.

thanks
abel

So use Logic.

Liveès interface is refreshingly easy to use and modern compared to all that fake console stuff.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:13 am

siddhu wrote:So use Logic.

Liveès interface is refreshingly easy to use and modern compared to all that fake console stuff.
Disagree completely. First off, the GUI isn't the application, while I too also think Logic is easier on the eyes, and better in some ways, Logic does not have a Session View, so for what I do, Logic is my second in command nowadays. This doesn't mean that Logic isn't totally ahead of Live in some ways, icons for tracks in the Arrange is a big time saver IMO, and the MIDI editing is better.

Live looks like something made in Max/MSP...still...... I wouldn't call that modern, more like about 15 years old.

The thing that would solve it for me would be user definable skins, what are there? maybe 4 colors to the whole app? How hard would it be to allow for our own color selection?

Personally I don't mind 3D, Reason is a good looking app to me, Sonar and Live are the worst IMO.

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:28 am

Machinesworking wrote:
Live looks like something made in Max/MSP...still...... I wouldn't call that modern, more like about 15 years old.
Well, this exactly is modern about Ableton -- as every other product tries to emulate shiny real-looking surfaces complete with shadows and other gimmicks... not realising that these software products will never rival the real thing let alone come close (in terms of user experience/immediate access)...

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:21 am

Live is different to logic or cubase and good 4 live...
why be the same as logic when it can be what it is?
Logic isnt that good u should get off its d***
:)