Scroll Wheel Zoom - For the love of GOD! Please.............

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
toeman

Re: Scroll Wheel Zoom - For the love of GOD! Please.............

Post by toeman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:36 pm

/signed

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:20 am

So, 7 years later.......still no zoom on mouse wheel.

Bump :x

Using the autohotkey work-around. Works pretty well.

login

Post by login » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:00 pm

Support for mouse with horizontal navigation wheel too!

sach160

Post by sach160 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:15 am

It's all I want from live 9. Literally - if there was nothing else new in live 9 but this, I'd be happy. That's how much I need this, or think I need it or well... just plain want it. It would be really easy to implement as well.

quandry

Post by quandry » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:49 pm

sach160 wrote:It's all I want from live 9. Literally - if there was nothing else new in live 9 but this, I'd be happy. That's how much I need this, or think I need it or well... just plain want it. It would be really easy to implement as well.
+1
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

mr.adl

Post by mr.adl » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:35 pm

Seriously: if they didn´t implement it now they just don´t bother to do so ever. :evil:

quandry

Post by quandry » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:06 pm

Funken--these are all useful workarounds, but they are just that--workarounds! I think we all "get" the prescribed zooming methods you describe, but feel these are not as good as scroll wheel zoom--I will never be convinced otherwise--scrollwheel zoom is the fastest/best workflow for me, hands-down.

Most other DAW and video editing software have mouse scroll wheel zoom--it is by far the most common/easy/quick way to scroll way in and out of an arrangement. I've got a multi-button mouse, and have the buttons above and below the scroll wheel assigned to the "+" and "-" keys for zooming, and it's workable, but still not as good as the scroll wheel zoom that is like the industry standard....

c'mon Abletons, it's ridiculous that I/we've been clamoring for this since V2--is it really that hard to implement this?!?
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

nutterwithbutter

Post by nutterwithbutter » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:01 am

We are talking about using the scroll wheel to ZOOM - which is more important than scroll in my opinion, especially when you are stuck on one monitor.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:04 pm

funken wrote: For people too dumb to click on a link where it's easy to read here is a rough paste
Have you considered hiring someone to deal with public relations? :lol:

nutterwithbutter

Post by nutterwithbutter » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:33 pm

Thanks for the info -

As a work around, I already have configured the + and - keys to pads on a novation automap controller (automap allows you to send hotkeys) however, there are no shortcuts to zoom in vertically in arrange view - it kills workflow.

I know it sounds minor but if you are doing any serious editing, forced on one monitor, you need to zoom in and out regularly.

If you want to zoom in both horizontally and vertically the workflow is this:

move your mouse and drag the one pixel indicating the lane boundary vertically taller
either move your mouse to the dedicated areas for zooming or move your hands off the mouse to your keyboard / midi controllers to zoom horizontally

then you have to do it all again to zoom back out

-in most other DAWs - you don't even need to move your mouse anywhere, just hit a keyboard modifier and mouse wheel to zoom in vertically, hit another keyboard modifier and use mousewheel to zoom horizontally, you don't have to be a mouse ninja to align up to the single pixel lane to zoom vertically.

funken wrote:.... There is no vertical zoom in Arrange, but you can fold all tracks by alt clicking the fold button of the ....

vido

Post by vido » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:31 am

I agree we need vertical zoom in arrangement. Thanks for good tips on your site funken!
Collab with Jeremy Blake of Red Means Recording:

Blake and Axe; "All The Light I Do Not See"
Spotify: https://goo.gl/MR8Wjr
Tidal: https://goo.gl/s35W33
Google Play: https://goo.gl/HQ1g7E
Amazon: https://goo.gl/cx5dUL

Not the usual stuff.

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:01 pm

but pls let us the choice to do other stuff with the mouse wheel. i don't like a wheel too zoom for example(I know this from other daws). I would like to change values from knobs instead..

so give us a choice please.

nutterwithbutter

Post by nutterwithbutter » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:03 pm

agreed - user assignable hot keys/mousewheel

jcloth

Post by jcloth » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:21 am

+1

alt+scroll for zoom (as well as bounce in place) are why I use Logic instead of Ableton

quandry

Post by quandry » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:07 pm

Can the Ableton's pretty pretty please chime in here and let us know what's up with this feature request that's been on the table for the better part of a decade?!?!