Arrangement Window - Fine unless you've got real work to do.

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
webslave

Arrangement Window - Fine unless you've got real work to do.

Post by webslave » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:24 pm

I feel the interface for the arrangement window needs to be rethought.

Here's the task that showed me how bad the current one is. Load in a complete set of drum kit files, discover work out their BPM and get them in synch (odd start points of files although all the same take).

First off zooming right in and moving around quickly is next to impossible. The overview bar just gets too fiddly and the drag bar at the bottom just moves things too slow. I'm longing for a scroll bar here!

Secondly if you need to match by the wave forms on several tracks there's no easy way to do this. You expand the view of one track then another (which is a pain if it's the bottom track as you have to shrink the one above first). Why not allow to zoom in and out the same way you can zoom horizontally.

So what I want to see is - SCRUB - it works for video editing and works very very well in the latest version of sound forge. I don't care if I can't hear it just let me move around using a scrub like feature.

Vertical zoom in and out - make wave forms easy to zoom in on for multiple tracks.

Easier placement of locations - when playing a track the 'set' appears to put it in a semi-random location. I'd like to put markers on individual tracks as well.

Oh and some kind of group feature is very much missing. Maybe I've missed it but if you have a drum track you want to move the selection tool is very hit an miss.

The effects chain - file window and other aspects of the program are great - but you can see why others use this with protools, but it's self the arrange window is really tricky to use in anger.

Oh whilst I'm here - import for Protools and Acid files please!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:48 pm

I'd quite like a way to minimize the chanel info strips on the right of the arrangement view. I pity anyone with a narrow monitor - even with the browser minimized it takes up a lot of space and is not always needed.