G4 Altivec support

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
os

Post by os » Wed Feb 26, 2003 5:03 pm

At the recent Sounds Expo in London, most software (including Live and Cubase SX) was being demoed in Mac OS X. (Obviously there were exceptions e.g. Cakewalk!)
Having said that, my own experience of gigs shows a nearer 50/50 mix.

twelve

Re: would pay too...

Post by twelve » Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:04 am

yon wrote:
SUB wrote:I also would pay for a major update that consists of some performance optimisations for g4. in case ableton is still wondering whether to do it or not - how many pros did you see doing a performance on a win-based laptop?
At the sonic lights festival in amsterdam this weekend, in the main space it looked like roughly 50/50 to me, give or take 10 percent, among those making sound with computers.

yon / ableton
50/50 is a lot of users either way. i'd pay 100 from the friday paycheck, absolutely.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:16 am

"This should shut up the PC users who gripe about Mac users asking for Altivec support, for example. "

To be fair I haven't heard any PC users griping about any software getting Altivec support and not getting the same treatment in SSE/SSE2. But then spending so much cash on something that runs like a pig tends to numb the senses maybe? ;)

datagroove

Post by datagroove » Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:24 am

bidding for features.. I love it! (and hate it at the same time)

at the risk of ableton thinking we are joking and not taking this request seriously by offering to pay for this feauture i say-

give it to us for free in the next update as it should be or at least in a near future update..

In return we will continue to tell our friends (mac users) that they should get Live. I do this anyway NOW.. but i would do it more if i knew Ableton truly cared about our performce needs- ("our" as in Macintosh users)

datagroove

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:17 pm

While reading this thread and was quite amazed at some of the reather dumb statements. I really should comment on all of them, but I think just the first one will do.

Claudek Wrote
I'd almost be willing to pay a $50.00 upgrade fee..(even though it should be included now) I really think it is retarded that this intelligent program is still coded for computers' cpu of 3-4 years ago (besides the OSX version..)PLEASE GIVE US ALTIVEC SUPPORT!Back to top
And may I remind you that its a CPU that is currently outperforming motorolaCPU left right and center. What exactly is retarted in that??

Anyway, I am a MAC user, I have seen and heard all the "my cpu is faster than yours". For years MAC users would never admit their shortcomings on the processor front. Now that day has gone and MAC users includiny myself freely admit that we have slower computers. But instead of looking across the water to even look, we still have this built in "Never a PC" ideology that has us all Happily paying a lot more, for a lot less than we ever did.

What exactly are we loyal to. I read in this thread quotes like "I could never use another program now because Live is so damn good", or in other threads I have read "I dont use any other software, I simply use Live now"

I have to wonder why Mac users are such a loyal bunch. It seems to me we are loyal to an 'operating system'........this is now looking ridiculous to me, especually if many users are only using Live. What difference would it make if you used Live in a faster, cheaper, and more powerful windows machine. When I think about it, I am neither loyal to Windows or MAC. I use them both. But every six year its becoming quite clear to me how much gap there is between PC and Mac speeds. and that gap is getting bigger.

If I didnt have so much software tied up in to a MAC, I am certain I would have switched to PC by now. I cant do this, until I can switch some of my software to windows platform. (not all companies allow you to do this btw)

What, I'm saying is that I would be loyal to my needs, and in particular the software I use and how much power is needed to run it properly. Way down the line would be operating system software.

Make no mistake, apple arn't our friends. Neither is Microsoft. They simply want you to buy their stuff and will tell you almost anything to make sure you do. Nothing wrong with that I say. But I have taken the blinkers off and realised that Apple arn't the little genuises operating from a garage these days. They are a pretty large money making corporation that needs Your Money just like every other large company out there.

As for Altivec support then. Yes I would love to be able to run more tracks, eq, and FX.

Woluld I be willing to pay for it?...............Definitely not, because quite frankly I'm not that stupid, or loyal to any operating system or computer. Ableton would be slated if they did do this. It would in one fell swoop alienate every potential Mac user who looks at Live only to find out he has to pay for an extra $50-$100 more than his windows cousin. Remember you lot know what it can do the dude in the shop doesnt really know, so he just thinks he is paying over the odds. I actually wouldnt pay more, and neither should you. What we should be willing to do is perhaps re-evaluate our loyalty to a computer manufacturer. Lets face it. The software is there, but our Computers arn't.

And this comes from a Dual 1gig owner who can clearly see that his p3 1.4 is clearly a far superior machine when running live. Butg what machine do I use in the studio/??.........Yep the slower MAC, wheres the P3, in the office running office, internet, and gaming duties (games for speed btw).

So I do have to wonder why I am so loyal to an Apple Mac

:!:

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:25 pm

and may I also say, that apart form the spelling and grammar mistakes I think you get the picture

In my defense however I have just had something that makes my eyes go 8O :D :D

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:27 pm

At first, I, too, thought, "Well, I pay as much for my copy as a Windows user, so I feel I should be getting better performance than I am getting now." In fact I was pretty livid about getting this point across on more than one occasion.

But pragmatically, if Live needs to hire developers to add these [i]desperately[/i] needed improvements, then money needs to come from somewhere to make it worth their time and effort.

Paying for features you want (and on the hand, not having to pay for features you don't want) may be one solution to this serious problem.

It certainly may go a long way to "sweetening the pot" and getting things moving forward. Some of us have thousands invested in software that runs on Apple hardware -- this may mean that loyalty is almost necessary to keep a machine useful beyond its years.

If Apple's next hardware line is Altivec-enhanced, then I want my tools there, too. Also, a number of instruments and effects are now VSTi and AU-based.

If that means paying a little extra to get support for these features will encourage Ableton to move forward, then so be it.

-Alex

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 05, 2003 5:05 am

Anonymous wrote:While reading this thread and was quite amazed at some of the reather dumb statements. I really should comment on all of them, but I think just the first one will do.

Claudek Wrote
I'd almost be willing to pay a $50.00 upgrade fee..(even though it should be included now) I really think it is retarded that this intelligent program is still coded for computers' cpu of 3-4 years ago (besides the OSX version..)PLEASE GIVE US ALTIVEC SUPPORT!Back to top
And may I remind you that its a CPU that is currently outperforming motorolaCPU left right and center. What exactly is retarted in that??

Anyway, I am a MAC user, I have seen and heard all the "my cpu is faster than yours". For years MAC users would never admit their shortcomings on the processor front. Now that day has gone and MAC users includiny myself freely admit that we have slower computers. But instead of looking across the water to even look, we still have this built in "Never a PC" ideology that has us all Happily paying a lot more, for a lot less than we ever did.

What exactly are we loyal to. I read in this thread quotes like "I could never use another program now because Live is so damn good", or in other threads I have read "I dont use any other software, I simply use Live now"

I have to wonder why Mac users are such a loyal bunch. It seems to me we are loyal to an 'operating system'........this is now looking ridiculous to me, especually if many users are only using Live. What difference would it make if you used Live in a faster, cheaper, and more powerful windows machine. When I think about it, I am neither loyal to Windows or MAC. I use them both. But every six year its becoming quite clear to me how much gap there is between PC and Mac speeds. and that gap is getting bigger.

If I didnt have so much software tied up in to a MAC, I am certain I would have switched to PC by now. I cant do this, until I can switch some of my software to windows platform. (not all companies allow you to do this btw)

What, I'm saying is that I would be loyal to my needs, and in particular the software I use and how much power is needed to run it properly. Way down the line would be operating system software.

Make no mistake, apple arn't our friends. Neither is Microsoft. They simply want you to buy their stuff and will tell you almost anything to make sure you do. Nothing wrong with that I say. But I have taken the blinkers off and realised that Apple arn't the little genuises operating from a garage these days. They are a pretty large money making corporation that needs Your Money just like every other large company out there.

As for Altivec support then. Yes I would love to be able to run more tracks, eq, and FX.

Woluld I be willing to pay for it?...............Definitely not, because quite frankly I'm not that stupid, or loyal to any operating system or computer. Ableton would be slated if they did do this. It would in one fell swoop alienate every potential Mac user who looks at Live only to find out he has to pay for an extra $50-$100 more than his windows cousin. Remember you lot know what it can do the dude in the shop doesnt really know, so he just thinks he is paying over the odds. I actually wouldnt pay more, and neither should you. What we should be willing to do is perhaps re-evaluate our loyalty to a computer manufacturer. Lets face it. The software is there, but our Computers arn't.

And this comes from a Dual 1gig owner who can clearly see that his p3 1.4 is clearly a far superior machine when running live. Butg what machine do I use in the studio/??.........Yep the slower MAC, wheres the P3, in the office running office, internet, and gaming duties (games for speed btw).

So I do have to wonder why I am so loyal to an Apple Mac

:!:
i think it would be smarter to pay 50 to 100 dollars more then buy a whole new system.

os

Post by os » Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:27 am

Alex Reynolds wrote:If Apple's next hardware line is Altivec-enhanced, then I want my tools there, too.
If the IBM 970 lives up to expectations and appears in new Macs, we could even be back to the heady days of Macs outperforming PCs, even without Altivec.

Who knows, really. The only sensible thing you can do is go for a computer system that you feel happy using, and that doesn't give you grief. For me, that's a Mac. For others, a PC. Whatever.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:09 pm

But pragmatically, if Live needs to hire developers to add these desperately needed improvements, then money needs to come from somewhere to make it worth their time and effort.
Then respectfully I suggest that Ableton have bitten off more than they can chew. I completely realise they are a small company but in the ´Real World´meaning in the store.....That wont make a differenc to the dude that stands there looking at the MAC and WIN version only to see that the MAC version is more expensive.

Also, to my knowledge I am not aware of any software (music) pitched at a higher price for MAC´s. Of course I could be wrong, but I have yet to see it. Now for a small software company to go out on a limb and do something which would definitely damage their reputation would be a very dangerous move imo.

While I to have a lot of software tied up in the MAC, I think its time for me to re-evaluate my position regarding OS or computer loyalty.

I live in Europe, and I have been to many cities across Europe as well as in the states. Everwhere I go in the states I see Apple MAc stores...No Problem. In Europe Apple is definitely Niche. EG, In London, to my knowledge there was 2 Apple MAc stores and one was a store within a store. Basically getting a hold of MAC stuff is far more difficult than PC stuff.

US musicains have this beleif that Apple are just as popular in Europe as PC. Well, I see PC stores at every street corner. In london, Tottenham Court road is where all the computer stores are. There must be at least 100 stores in that particular street. There isnt a single MAC store there and buying MAC peripherals is also not easy. The city I now live in (large) has 1 MAC store. Everything is expensive.....

If the IBM 970 lives up to expectations and appears in new Macs, we could even be back to the heady days of Macs outperforming PCs, even without Altivec.

The heydays???, you mean when PC´s were still using 486 processors. As far as I can tell since the Pentium 1 Windows has not had a problem keeping up, in fact they have been consistently faster and its obvious right now.

Again that brings me back to this ´Loyalty Thing´ which I am personally re-evaluating.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:48 pm

i think it would be smarter to pay 50 to 100 dollars more then buy a whole new system

Would it?. Im not so sure.

I paid 3,189.17 USD for my dual 1gig machine. If I sold it now I guess I would get at least half of what I paid for it. OK, not something I particulrarly wish to do at the moment. However, lets say that in 2 years time when my machine is obviously obsolete and I´m looking to upgrade. How much would I get 500, 600, 700??. I dont know for certain. But when I do sell it I will have a choice, To either go with Apple again and pay far more than I would with a PC, and more than likely end up with a noisy (its actually amazing how noisy my machine is) slow, and expensive machine compared to my PC cousins.. I know that for the money I sell my MAC even now, I could go out and but a faster PC The longer I wait the more difficult it will be to sell my MAC at a good price. Will I do it?....Probably not until I can port some of my other software. Would I do it if I only used Live.....You Bet In a second.

I also have a G4 Titanium Powerbook 500mz. I paid a serious amount of money for this machine because it looked cool. But I also bought the APple MAc company line "Mghz is irrelevant salesman talk" Now, nearly 2 years later I see if for what it really is. A fancy looking but expensive Donkey. Compared to my friends Pentium 3, 1 gig Toshiba laptop my machine doesnt stand a chance. His machine was easily over 1500usd cheaper than mine. I didnt even get a CD writer with mine. :roll:

Do you ever feel like your being conned??

Still, I dont want this top be a Mac vs PC. All Im saying is that if you guys are determined to be loyal to a brand that is always more expensive and for the moment consistently slower, and have the privelage of paying more for the very same software as your Windows cousins then thats fine by me. Just dont complain when every plugin and software company foolow the same line and end up charging you more for Altivec enhanced software Make no mistake if Ableton or any other company did this and there was little or no resistence then the flood gates would open I can guarantee that. Very soon a $300 app is going to cost you $400. Each MAC plugin will be $50 more. Add that to your machine and a MAC user to do exactly the same as a windows user could easily find they are paying $1500 more to do the same thing (however the speed wont be the same, your MAc will still be slower as a windows user)

Not possible???? Then why are the very same PT´s plugins THREE times as expensive as native ones. This could be YOU next...

Brand Loyalty...... :?

Novacosmic

a not-irrelevant diversion from making music

Post by Novacosmic » Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:57 pm

To add my own two sheckels to the discussion, I recently bought an 800 mHz Ti Book G4 with 1 gig of ram, primarily to use Final Cut Pro (which is an incredible piece of software). My father has a Toshiba laptop, and whenever I have to sit down and look at that ugly monitor for a while, I can't wait to be back on my Ti Book.

My father uses the laptop for business, but his desktop is his primary machine. As a result, the laptop is only used for a few hours per week, but that has not saved him from problems with almost every component of the system (the CD-Rom drive is flimsy and temperamental, and it gets hot fast).

For me, the big selling point of the Ti Book was it's stability and raw beauty. Strangers marvel at it. I have kept it running for days on end without it overheating, and in six months of regular use, have never had a crash in Final Cut Pro, working with files that are several gigs in size, performing all kinds of real time edits. If this machine can do this for video files, which are at least as processor-intensive as audio files, it should be able to do the same for Live. Which brings us back to Ableton's programming (needs Altivec support), and CoreAudio, which is are both still in their infancy. Give it some time and we'll have much better performance on our current machines ... no need to fantasize about the new line of Mac processors.

Apple isn't going away. They are hiring the best audio programmers in the world today, and know full well that in order to maintain the customer loyalty that they enjoy, they have to deliver better performance. The entire philosophy of Apple is not just a marketing ploy. This is a company with the artist in mind, and they have backed that up in the fields they have aimed to conquer (i.e. graphics design and video), with a holistic approach that sees the big picture the same way that artists see it.

Slower processors are a handicap that has caused accelerated development in other areas (hardware stability, ergonomics, style, an incredible operating system in OS X, technical support, AppleCare, etc.) that will remain once the chips are up to par. When that day comes, I will be an even happier Mac user.

Today's Mac is a Lamborghini missing the horsepower. PCs are like muscle cars; ugly but fast. Good for drag racing, but if you want to cruise around in style (and pick up more chicks), then you need the designer model.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:18 pm

If you Mac people still believe that a Mac is inherently more stable than a W2K/XP based system you are living in dreamland still. If you want a stable PC system here is what you do, it really is simple...

Don't install apps that are buggy or they will crash (no really, and it's the same on the Mac suprisingly)

Don't install plugins that haven't been written properly or they will lead to instability (no really, and it's the same on the Mac suprisingly)

Don't use anything that has flaky drivers (It's not Bills fault if some companies can't code decent drivers. However, many can and it's easy to find out who if need be)

Buy a laptop based around decent components Dell, Sony, Fujitsu-Siemens and spend the money you just saved on a holiday to the Greek islands or somewhere and make some music.

W2K/XP are VERY stable, no seriously. If you install something buggy (the initial Live v2 release for example) the SURE there will be problems but it aint the OS crashing, it's the app!! Remove immediately and use something that works!!!

If using Live is the main reason for using a laptop then quite honestly it doesn't take much working out, when you actually base your decision on facts and not rhetoric or coolness factor, that a free lobotomy should be included in the free price of your Mac purchase :D

A W2K/XP based laptop will only crash if it is running on crap hardware (fair enough) or has buggy applications or plugins (fair enough) or you have biought dubious hardware who's drivers at v8.45.324.3456.6786 STILL don't seem to be working properly!

A little bit of homework is all that's required for a solid system. Oh, you ould of course get a Mac lappie with OSX where everything runs perfectly and all the apps are debugged and it's all sweetness and light. You're not going to find many buggy VST plugins in OSX to use with Live to be honest, in fact you aren't going to find many at all!! So that solves THAT problem!!!

Let's cut the crap. Macs and OSX are nice tools BUT they are expensive and they AIN'T more solid than a well setup W2K/XP system and that's the plain simple truth.

That laptop mentioned that had a god awful screen, guess what? It's solvable by buying one that doesn't!! Toshiba wasn't the only option.

A nice "entry level" PC laptop with decent hardware is the Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D. 2.4Ghz cpu, 512MB of fast memory, 15" screen (nice by the way), 40GB hard drive, etc etc. It'll be smoking anything Apple bring out for the next 18 months if not longer.

Altivec Shmaltivec!

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:01 pm

For me, the big selling point of the Ti Book was it's stability and raw beauty.
Your whole post was like a company brouchure for Apple. "Macs are the Ferrari etc etc" thats a laugh....Seen any Sony Viao models lately??

Anyway, your quote is pretty mcuh why I bought mine. Just dont complain about lack of CPU which admittedly you didnt. So you are obviously in to how it looks rather than can it do the job.

Well, I´m sorry I dont care what it looks like (not that I couldnt get a very nice looking PC these days). What I care about is having the right tools to get the job done. In this case I dont feel that my MAC is now up to the job and I´m a little tired of having smoke blown up my ass from a computer company quite frankly.

Please explain "Altivec optimization"

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:44 am

First I must apologize for my poor technical knowledge. It's just that I am more driven by music than by computer gear.
I use a PB 867, 768 MB Ram. Bought it because it seemed to be pretty tough build and allows me to play in real time (low latencies) even with the build in audio, which is pretty practical in "live" situations. :-)
I never faced boaders in real life so far, but when I read your post I had to try how many tracks I can use (considered the tape style recording is new I am sure I will be in situations where I want to use many tracks).
After 14, 15 tracks and the use of 1 first class reverb crackles appeared in my audio out. Quit annoying, considered live's possibility to record unlimited tracks.
I do not want to join the group of religious pc-user allways affronting "stupid" mac users, but I really became nervous.
I tried the same with my PC - similar result

Is it live's time stretching engine that starins the cpu that much?
How can I optimize my system to get better results?