G4 Altivec support

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
claudek

G4 Altivec support

Post by claudek » Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:40 pm

I would love to see a G4 Optimized version of Live

Re: G4 Altivec support

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:04 am

Yes, this issue has been beaten to death; yes, it will probably take a deceptively large amount of work to implement. However, I can't help chiming in here and saying that please, please optimize this wonderful program for Altivec. Why am I going on about this? If I'm not satisfied, I can go and spend my time and money elsewhere, right? No, I can't do that because Live is so good that I and other Mac users willingly put up with the performance disadvantage so that we can use this wonderful tool that comes from a company still small enough that the CEO takes the time and effort to post on this board. We've put our money where our mouths are, and are right behind you, Ableton.

Optimize for Altivec and you have to optimize for Pentium and Athlon too, right? Not necesarily. Pentiums and Athlons can rely on brute megahertz to get the work done (witness the performance tests results). All us obviously disadvantaged Mac users (we admit it, everybody can see it) need a little more help than PC users do. It's true, you can never have enough performance, but I think PC users wouldn't begrudge their currently handicapped (by Motorola) Mac brethren getting a leg up.

Again, I'm sorry for bringing this up again, and I usually keep my peace, but seeing Claudek's post is all the encouragement I needed :lol:
claudek wrote:I would love to see a G4 Optimized version of Live

muser

Re: G4 Altivec support

Post by muser » Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:06 am

Whoops forgot to sign in above

datagroove

Post by datagroove » Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:35 am

every mac user of live wants this.. ASAP.. and i think its badly needed because the interface is everything in a pro audio app and it suffers because of the cpu drain. Live's interface is great if your not pushing the software cpu to high.. but on a mac that is easy to do- so what happens when your above 50% -> well the interface becomes sluggish and thus one of the most important criteria for any great software app is jeopardized.. (the interface).

I cant work with more then 10 tracks playing at a time, 2 sends and 2 inserts on a 667 tibook and that’s pretty lame considering I can bring those same 10 audio files and 4 vst's in logic (g4 optimized) and it runs below 30% (granted its not doing the tempo stretching)

all the same.. Please bring on the g4 optimization- pretty please!!

Its kind of funny how you have to put a disclaimer as to why its badly needed. (They know.. about the performance on a mac)

datagroove

claudek

I'd pay 50.00 for it

Post by claudek » Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:34 pm

I'd almost be willing to pay a $50.00 upgrade fee..(even though it should be included now) I really think it is retarded that this intelligent program is still coded for computers' cpu of 3-4 years ago (besides the OSX version..)PLEASE GIVE US ALTIVEC SUPPORT!

muser

Re: I'd pay 50.00 for it

Post by muser » Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:04 pm

I'd pay for it too.

claudek

So

Post by claudek » Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:19 pm

So if we all pay $50.00 per user.. by all the Mac users, I'm sure your programmers may be anxious to get working on it..
It really is rediculous that this program is not optmized as it would not matter if one was on a G3 Powerbook,Ibook or g4 Titanium..I now realize why my G4 1000 is not that better with live than my G4 400..as it is not
optimized..

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:27 pm

Hmm, interesting idea - so now we don't just specify what new features we want, we bid for them as well. Ok then, if it's $50 for Altivec support, I bid $60 for midi clips.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:05 pm

$100.00 for altivec support.

Novacosmic

upping the anti

Post by Novacosmic » Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:15 pm

I'd pay $300 for Altivec, VSTi, Midi, and dual monitor support.

Actually, I would spring $600 for a competitive upgrade of SX if Live could slave to it in OSX. And that is mostly because of CPU drain and the need to run VST instruments.

FrankH

Live Pro?

Post by FrankH » Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:40 pm

Maybe it's time to create lets say "Live PRO"? Like Platinum in Logic Audio. If you realy want to pay for State-Of-The-Art features, don't get me wrong Live is very State-Of-The-Art.

I can also imagine that this is just NOT what Abletons CEO want to happen.

Just a brainwave, anyway... :?

Live is good and will be better.

Peace,
f

claudek

I'm down

Post by claudek » Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:14 pm

I would go for a Live Platinum..
Midi out,VST support, Altivec support, a few crazy matrix style sequencers.. I'd go all Live and say goodbye to Logic as I think Live sounds better and easier more to the point futuristic way to work with sound..
BUT G4 ALTIVEC SUPPORT !!

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:23 am

I'd definitely pay more for a copy of Live that had Altivec and VSTi/AudioUnit support. Let's say $100 for the lot.

Perhaps Ableton could make Live 'modular' and we pay for extra function modules we want.

Start with a Core base module and build functionality around it. Something similar to Improvision's Openlab.

This would be fair to people who don't want to pay for development of functions they don't need.

This should shut up the PC users who gripe about Mac users asking for Altivec support, for example.

-Alex

SUB

would pay too...

Post by SUB » Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:20 am

I also would pay for a major update that consists of some performance optimisations for g4. in case ableton is still wondering whether to do it or not - how many pros did you see doing a performance on a win-based laptop? just go to the clubs and see what happens. of course the vaios and dells do emerge more often these days, but mac os is still the most recommended plattform for producing music. that is not to say that you'll have problems running your stuff on XP - if you know what you're doing. ableton's live is such a cool and sassy tool. it should really perform better on cool and sassy computers...

again, would pay.

Greets from Berlin

yon

Re: would pay too...

Post by yon » Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:32 pm

SUB wrote:I also would pay for a major update that consists of some performance optimisations for g4. in case ableton is still wondering whether to do it or not - how many pros did you see doing a performance on a win-based laptop?
At the sonic lights festival in amsterdam this weekend, in the main space it looked like roughly 50/50 to me, give or take 10 percent, among those making sound with computers.

yon / ableton