G4 Altivec support

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
muser

Post by muser » Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:36 am

Anonymous wrote:but then you're a mac user. Obviously thinking isn't your strong suit, or you wouldn't be using a mac and complaining about performance.
No, I'm not a moderator, but being a member of the community, I've got to point out that comments--whether silly, uninformed, or just diverging from your perspective--are no justification for rudeness, especially when that rudeness extends beyond the particular user you're addressing.

This is a legitimate thread, and uninformed comments don't change that. Altivec is hard to implement and sometimes results in code that is hard to maintain. Performance gains may also be negligible in some cases. Yet, it has also been pointed out in this forum that certain algorithms, for instance Live's reverb, would benefit greatly from a boost to vector processing.

The reason for the existence of this thread is the larger disparity between PC and Mac performance tests on Live compared to the disparity on pretty much ANY other audio application. This includes Unity Session 3.1 and Reason 2.01 (I own both programs) both of which involve some pretty CPU-heavy computations (especially Unity, as well as Reason's Maelstrom and NN-XT) so the comparisons are justified.[/b]

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Sat Apr 19, 2003 4:56 pm

Troll, troll, troll your boat....

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 19, 2003 6:14 pm

Mind you, the price of donkeys has fallen recently.

hmurchison

This thread is horrible

Post by hmurchison » Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:17 am

I don't know what's worse the blatant Trollism or the legions of "Guests" spouting incorrect information. <sigh>

It's my personal opinion that Ableton should be supporting Altivec on PPC and SSE on Intel. Live is their only product so it's not like users are asking for too much.

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:47 am

If Ableton sells a software for the win and mac platforms, I think G4 support should be here in the forst place. When the 1st version of Live was out, Altivec was already here for a while ! So, I don't consider paying more for a better mac support !!

dss

Post by dss » Sun Apr 27, 2003 6:16 pm

Ahhh...

"mac's suck"

and

"mac users are stupid"

these are the last refuges of the bitter, the selfish and the immature.

So it's like asking your mechanic why the tricked out carb he's installed on your bike doesn't use all 4 intakes like it is supposed to, and he replies "oh, because your bike sucks."

or better yet, he says "because you are stupid."

nice...

real helpful.

thank you for showing us all what an idiot you are, and how you are taking away from the world, and not contributing to it.

but tell us, would you really so easily change your tune and decide that we were now "smart" if we went out and bought ourselves a win-tel box?
surely you are not that fickle? nor, glib?

am i goiong over your head?

great! now c'mon! tell me how stupid i am!!!!

attaboy!

dss

...but still want altivec!

Post by Guest » Fri May 02, 2003 1:32 pm

i just switched to mac a while ago and spend something like 4000 EUR on a new powerbook. it's really scary to see live performing better on my 3 year old pentium3-notebook...

systek

Post by systek » Tue May 06, 2003 3:06 pm

Well I had to chime in to say that my new powerbook g4 1ghz 1gb of ram sucks for running live! I cannot believe my 3 year old latitude laptop kicks my g4's ass for plugins, number of tracks, etc... every other program is cool on the g4 like dp3, nuendo and logic but when it comes to LIVE it blows on the mac platform.

I am so sick of switching between osx and os9 for live. I am currently testing out dp4 and it runs great. However I cannot run live in slave mode + the performance sucks anyways so why should I even hope to try it? I feel like I have become a life long mac tester app for ableton just to make it work better.

I give up... I would much rather spend my money on pc hardware if that is the direction they are heading. I agree with a lot of replies on this thread that I love LIVE software but why the same version numbers without the SAME features.... rewire slave in osx, performance, performance, performance...

Unfortunately I only have the skills and time to play music. If I were into graphic arts I would have no complaints for my mac. But I wanted to use it as a road ready scratch pad of ideas... too bad those ideas can only lead to 4-5 tracks + 4-5 plugins until live just pops clicks.... anyone want to buy a g4 pb 1ghz? =)

i primarily use:

g4 pb 1ghz
osx
rme dsp
mpc 4k
nord 1

Thanks for reading my bitch session....
systek

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Tue May 06, 2003 4:02 pm

systek wrote:Well I had to chime in to say that my new powerbook g4 1ghz 1gb of ram sucks for running live! I cannot believe my 3 year old latitude laptop kicks my g4's ass for plugins, number of tracks, etc... every other program is cool on the g4 like dp3, nuendo and logic but when it comes to LIVE it blows on the mac platform.
Someone from Ableton please acknowledge that this is a problem for us users and that it is being worked on. This borders on ridiculous.

-Alex

soundsliketree

also curious

Post by soundsliketree » Thu May 08, 2003 11:52 pm

I must admit that I haven't read this entire thread, but I know enough of the jist of it to quietly chime in with my request to know about Ableton's Altivec intentions...

Many thanks from a new, happy 17" pwrbk user!

e o