Alternate MIDI note assign method

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
bsom

Alternate MIDI note assign method

Post by bsom » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:21 am

An alternate method to assign a loop to a MIDI note would be nice, instead of the 'MIDI learn' style it is now.

I like the 'MIDI learn' style, but it is difficult to program my PC1600X/Live to change loops using a string send of MIDI Note On commands. I use the sliders to change between the loops in a column, and I have to reprogram this for every song, which is tedious, requires me to have the PC1600X and MIDI interface hooked up, and is difficult to get it to work without one note cancelling the assignment of another...

Please give me a pop-up option to pick the note!!

//bsom
bsom
the 'b' is not silent and neither am i
www.bsom.org

fugu

re pc1600x and Live

Post by fugu » Sun Mar 23, 2003 7:50 am

hi,

I've got a PC1600 and just got Live, i'm playing with both for a bit before writing a few scene definitions for the PC1600 and setting some default templates for Live.

Wouldn't you have an easier time making a different scene for each Session track (or 2) or perhaps spreading a channel per scene (with fx and levels and sends and pan, that's almost all the faders. and then 16 Session sample triggers per Channel.. anyway, yeah it'd be nice to have Ableton add granular MIDI control of all sorts but i donlt think it's necessary, the PC1600 is already enough of a pain to setup, i'd rathern do that a few more times then have to reporgram Live (or manage a stack of template files for particular project starting points) with little more then a click and a slide.

anyway, i'm in no rush but once i have some deecent controller maps I'll post em somewhere..

fugu

clarification

Post by fugu » Sun Mar 23, 2003 7:53 am

heh, the 'scenes' mentioned above are PC1600 'scenes' NOT Ableton Live 'scenes'.. .

iavine

Post by iavine » Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:28 pm

It would be ideal to be able to associate midi controllers / notes to the loop slots e.g. note c2 fires loop in channel 1 slot 1, d2 fires loop in channel 1 slot 2 so on.

There is also a similar problem with the effects. I'd like to set up my controls so I can mute/unmute effect 1 ,2 ,3 etc. but this also has to be done for each song.

IanV

sunless

alternative way to enter in Midi Information for triggering

Post by sunless » Sat Mar 29, 2003 5:22 pm

I think it would be nice to be able to enter in a Midi Note number, or perhaps an actual note number (A4, C3, etc.) instead of using the learn feature.

When using Max/MSP to trigger midi within Live, I would find it much much easier when setting up my session in Live, to just go ahead and type in the Midi information instead of having to switch back and forth between applications, triggering one, and going back to Live to make sure it did it correctly, and held the information. I built a huge Midi Controller for a recent installation project at a gallery, and the Midi Controller was actually in another room, so to program the Midi information, I had to run back and forth from room to room, or if someone was with me...scream over to them and try to explain which controller I needed to be triggered. It was a lot of work, however, I already knew the note numbers and already knew where I wanted them to go. Perhaps with more foresight I could've just built a simple "triggering application" with Max...however, I did not have Max on the computer that was with me.........

thanks for listening.
adam