Impulse Improvements

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
liquidfx

Re: impulse features

Post by liquidfx » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:31 pm

alvaro wrote:
mezzmerized wrote:[1] slots capable of multilayering

[2] the ability to interchange samples between slots, and drag and drop them to the browser view

[3] ability to route individual or grouped slots to effects

and of course...[4] more slots
Totally agree, IMHO that's the definitive Impulse Improvement wish List to Live 6.

Except issue [3]: you can do this creating one audio track and setting its input to the individual Impulse slot once selected its track... although you can not select multiple slots per channel.

About the issue [4]: i think the best flexible way to achieve that feature (for all users needings), is to add the capability of racking multiple instances of Impulse in one single track. That would be wonderfull, as i said in this post:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Impulse is cool!!

regards

Alvaro G.
whoa! totally agree about the racking impuleses idea! that would be great, so you can spred out like 10 impulses over an 88 key midi controller! That would be HOT HOT HOT!!!!

Also agree on the multi layering!

I wish you were able to throw a two bar loop into Impulse and have it neatly chopped in 1/4 notes or something to that sort....just dreamin, heh

onslaught

Post by onslaught » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:19 am

* The option to save an Impulse set-up with all accompaning routed tracks as one instrument. Call it .lis (Live Impulse Set) or something - it would save all the track names, effects, midi assignments, everything.

^ An alternate to this I guess would be the ability to save multible Template sets - which one could set up various impulse set-ups

tylast

Post by tylast » Sat May 13, 2006 9:41 pm

Live 7.0.14 / Vista SP1 / Intel QX6700 / 4GB DDR2 / ReMOTE 25SL Compact

onslaught

Post by onslaught » Sun May 14, 2006 3:58 am

onslaught wrote:
Silicon/Silicium wrote:solution, having routing option in a single track, eg to route an impulse out to an effect straight in the track, that should be a lot of rewriting but could be very handy with multiouts plug ins, as complex routing could be saved with track.
Mmm, interesting idea, but could also get messy. As in the list of all the effects in the routings options and knowing which drum pad you are tweaking with when using the effects in the device section. Having the drums route to different tracks keeps it visually clear of whats going on.
You could set up your template set-up with all your routings and effects set up and then just have a heap of drum kits ready to go. Also you could group sets of effects that go with particular drum hits and save them into your library.
Definately more pads is good though :)
Actually, scrap that. Internal routing is needed! For single pads and groups of pads.
So say whatever pad you are editing, the effects show up to the right of Impulse, just like the controls in Impulse are specific to each pad. To the left of the Volume, time & transpose controls (Impulse's universal controls) there could be routing, groups and effects options - maybe something like the I/O section on Live's tracks.

TequilaKez

Post by TequilaKez » Thu May 18, 2006 3:44 am

First I would like to say that Impulse is totally killer the way it is now, nice and streamlined and simple. I have a feeling Albeton proabaly think so too. Overbloated multilayerable, 64+ pad drum sampler plugin's are a-plenty these days (here's a free one)so they'll take care of your fancy pants stuff.

1. Chaining multiple Impulses is a brilliant way to get more channels without complicating Impulse too much.

2. Being able to move the samples around once loaded is a must. (This is especially annoying if you just remebered the choke only works on 7 * 8 and you put your hats on 2 & 5 for example).

3. Drag and drop samples (from the browser and each other) straight into the piano roll (pad labels).
When messing with beats and the sounds used to create them. it's annoying to have to swap between the piano roll and Impulse all the time.

4. FX sends would be great. For minimal screwing with the interface I suggest a 'Send amount' dial and a little drop box with A,B..C ect.
These would be 'per pad' of course.

tylast

Post by tylast » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:21 pm

Yikes, no choking in Impulse with Live 6. :? At least there are a few other improvements. Perhaps there will be a 6.1 that addresses the other requests?
forge wrote:
one of the first things I did was load up 3 samplers in a group and import 3 kontakt kits (electro kit 1,2, & 3) and make a kit from them but using the pitch plugin to transpose them all so i could have a kit that went right up the keyboard

to my knowledge there's no choke
But I was playing about with it a fair bit and did get a response from one of the abletons who was obviously invloved alot in the sampler and his comment was that sampler was not intended to be used as a big drum module

so it doesnt ,matter because I have been using it as one, but things like choke I wouldnt hold your breath

AFAIK the only change at all to impulse is there are now hot swap buttons on the slots

but of course the main thing is you can stack a bunch of them together to make a bigger kit

I actually whinged a bit because you cant apparently change the midi assignements for the impulse slot, so if you want to make a big kit you have to use a scale or pitch plug-in to get them on the right keys - otherwise they all are on C3-C4

but this is actually pretty easily worked around using scale I'm told - I used sampler with pitch plugs in the end because I still dont know how to use the scale plug-in - for some reason I'm scared of it

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:25 pm

impulse does have choking on the last 2 slots

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:26 pm

hoffman2k wrote:impulse does have choking on the last 2 slots
yea. always has.

tylast

Post by tylast » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:40 pm

Yeah, but 2 isn't enough. :wink:

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:43 pm

tylast wrote:Yeah, but 2 isn't enough. :wink:
when i need more i just load up a multisample in Sampler, complete with about 10 samples for a single high hat., 3 or 4 opened, a couple closed, and a few choked.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:54 pm

tylast wrote:Yeah, but 2 isn't enough. :wink:
racks :wink:

tylast

Post by tylast » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:03 pm

Yup...as soon as I can use Live 6. 8)

jamester

Post by jamester » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:54 am

tylast wrote:Yikes, no choking in Impulse with Live 6. :? At least there are a few other improvements. Perhaps there will be a 6.1 that addresses the other requests?
forge wrote:
one of the first things I did was load up 3 samplers in a group and import 3 kontakt kits (electro kit 1,2, & 3) and make a kit from them but using the pitch plugin to transpose them all so i could have a kit that went right up the keyboard

to my knowledge there's no choke
But I was playing about with it a fair bit and did get a response from one of the abletons who was obviously invloved alot in the sampler and his comment was that sampler was not intended to be used as a big drum module

so it doesnt ,matter because I have been using it as one, but things like choke I wouldnt hold your breath

AFAIK the only change at all to impulse is there are now hot swap buttons on the slots

but of course the main thing is you can stack a bunch of them together to make a bigger kit

I actually whinged a bit because you cant apparently change the midi assignements for the impulse slot, so if you want to make a big kit you have to use a scale or pitch plug-in to get them on the right keys - otherwise they all are on C3-C4

but this is actually pretty easily worked around using scale I'm told - I used sampler with pitch plugs in the end because I still dont know how to use the scale plug-in - for some reason I'm scared of it
Yeah, I think Forge meant no choking in Sampler, not Impulse.

I am psyched about Impulse having swap-able slots, but this mess about having to use a scale plug to be able to rack effectively is bullcrap! I'm a little torked on this one...seems like a needless PITA. To have such a cool feature as the racks, and then to not think it through all the way with Impulse is...saddening. (is that a word?)
:cry:
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:59 am

I would like to see a parameter for adjusting the sample start itself (the actual start parameter adjusts the startpoint in the sample).
If you load as ex. 2 bassdrumhits wich by default are clashing in phase against each other , you easely loose the punch.
With this additional parameter you could adjust without moving the notes themselwes, could be handy when you want to replace a sample in a project wich already has lots of clips, without having to fix all the notes in all the clips.

Greetings
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

Soma

Post by Soma » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:28 am

I'd like to see negative amounts for velocity to pitch and velocity to filter frequency.

But no one who works here ever reads this forum I don't think. At least I'd be suprized if they were right now ...