Performance view

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
serotoninsteve

Performance view

Post by serotoninsteve » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:40 am

It´s called Performance view now +edit+ (I´ve changed the name so read Livearrangement = Performance view) +edit+ , it´s additional to session and arrangement and fills the gap between the user and machine better than session view imo.

I would like to see detacheable windows for fx and more than one clipview (one per track), a bit like Traktor but more configurable in Live´s style with the same timestretch and clipenvelopes as only Live offers.
Combined with multiple cue points, switches to change between different clips in one track you could set up to "what your
screen can take" different clipviews and fx windows on one 3th, called the Livearrangement view where you could see everything essential you need and want to tweak on one screen.
Especially with a midicontroller but with a touchpad too it would make Live a lot more hardware like, as you are more
connected to the session, you always have direct feedback to the clips without having to trigger it via midi or mouse to see or tweak an fx.
With the touchpad and x-y fields you could have nice kaos pad without having to click around to get to the wanted fx.
In each one of the fx windows you could switch then between the different fx in the respective track.
The whole thing could look like a mix of session view (ass clipwindow at the left) and arrange window with the respective tracks fx (on the right).
An arrangement layout with a few clipwindows at the left instead of the clips with there waveform. You have always focus on all the needed parameters and save the space at the bottom.
That would make the fusion between the human and Live a lot thighter imo, more like hardware. Imagine that with a large touchscreen.

I hope we will see something like this in the future, then it would be the real killer live app.

Please give me your feedback on this.

Greetings
Last edited by serotoninsteve on Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:32 am

I'm with ya, man. Some way of dynamically assigning plugins and such to be viewed in a separate view altogether. I believe Angstrom has proposed this once.

Maybe somehow connected to the Key/midi assignments - assign a controller, see the plugin in a separate view? So that every tweaked control will show up there - allowing easy access during a performance.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:19 pm

Yes exactly,
perhaps only the controllers you designated (via rightclick) could appear on the 3th screen to save screen space.

To the left the waveform like in clipview, a configurable cliptransport with just the controls you use (to keep it small), a few assignable buttons for instant looping or switching between different clipenvelopes and a fix playmarkerposition for all the tracks.
Then to the right a mixer and all the designated controllers in small named fx boxes.
In each clip you could browse and switch with simple up & down buttons between all the clips in their respective track, that could show up exactly as clips look in session view, the clips in this new Livearrangment would always reflect the clips and settings as in session view and vice versa.
For the number of tracks on the screen you could simply scroll up and down to browse through all your tracks.

I think that could be the real Livesession view, the normal one lacks of feedback as you only have sight on a few param always. It´s definately better to use as select on midilaunch.
I know it´s a bit traktor style, but in this case it´s a plus that traktor has and Live not, perhaps the only one.

Thanx for your input, I´m working on some screenshots to show how it could look, but it takes some time.

I´m pretty sure we are not the only ones who want that, so common all please give your opinions.

Greetings
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:21 pm

I bump this until I have some shopped screenshots!
Common, 120 views and only one replies?

Greetings

Benshik

Post by Benshik » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:15 pm

Hi,
Im not really able to imagine how it would look like and I certainly like to see a screenshot, but my first impression is that making Live more hardware-like is a huge step back. Sorry but compared to Live, most hardware on the market right now sucks big time. Let's have hardware to adapt to Live, not the opposite

Ben
Macbook 2.2ghz, OS 10.5.2, Focusrite Saffire, Microkontrol, Lemur

JeffX

Post by JeffX » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:19 pm

Benshik wrote: Im not really able to imagine how it would look like and I certainly like to see a screenshot,
Ditto...
Mac Pro Octocore 8x2,16GHz "Nehalem"
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Novation X-station 25
APC40
Live 8

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:37 am

Ok, here I´m back with my first chopped Livearrangement.
I´ve planed a more descriptive version but don´t find the time for the moment, busy at work.
Feel free to change it if you have better ideas, in my opinion this is really a needed feature.

Here it is: Livearrangement b0.1

Greetings
Last edited by serotoninsteve on Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TonySoprano

Post by TonySoprano » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:32 am

I like the way you added a third button for the new view in the top-right. Attention to detail! :D

myztmuzic

Post by myztmuzic » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:58 am

serotoninsteve wrote:Ok, here I´m back with my first chopped Livearrangment.
I´ve planed a more descriptive version but don´t find the time for the moment, busy at work.
Feel free to change it if you have better ideas, in my opinion this is really a needed feature.
Very nice work!!! Would love that feature indeed :D
be-be - an eL, an eS and be a Dee
- the orb -

supster

Post by supster » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:29 pm

yeah this is a good one. nice.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

acidman

Post by acidman » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:56 pm

yeaaah

please implement this !!

Former Pharaoh

Post by Former Pharaoh » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:18 pm

I could definitely use this feature especially when using EQs. I use buttons for kill switches so it's hard to remember when a kill switch is activated/deactivated. This would help alot.

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:56 pm

great idea!

k

boomklik

Post by boomklik » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:04 pm

when i first read through the post i thought this was..well, not a great idea.

after looking at the screenshot, i think its a great idea. this would help
me tweak settings on multiple tracks really fast.

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:58 pm

Thanx for your feedback!

All the controls (or small blocks) showed up here could be easily created/deleted in sessionview via rightclick->show this control in Livearrangement and then simply change the color to inform.
For each track is shown one slot, the sends and master included.

I don´t know how difficult it is to implement as it´s only an other way to show the same as now in session. Perhaps a bit heavier for the graphics ass it has to show more waveforms together (and Live is not the smoothest for the moment :wink: ) but the screen could be really minimal, only the needed, simple and fast loop functions would be great too.

Greetings