SIMPLE AUDIO EDITOR

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
philter

SIMPLE AUDIO EDITOR

Post by philter » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:33 pm

Hi,

I would love a simple audio editor for cutting up loops from tracks. I use ableton to remix stuff live and need an easy way to cut useful sections.

I would like to be able to select say a 2 bar section right click and save to a folder. then move the selection along to another area of a track and save another 2 bar loop. It would be cool if i could click a button to extend the loop to 4 or 8 or 16 bars etc. some sort of hit point snaping or detection would be nice!

some file sytem trickery to save all the cuts from 1 track into a specific folder would be cool.

I am using peak at the mo and doing what i want seems really painfull. ive used wavelab on the pc which is much quicker but unfortunatly not available for mac.

Thanks Phil.

www.sonic-dj-academy.com

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:42 pm

CTRL-J
:D

philter

Post by philter » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:01 pm

please explain further?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:19 pm

What he means to say is:

manual->"consolidate".
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

philter

Post by philter » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:11 pm

im aware of the consolidate comand im just not sure what the relevance is to my original post?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:13 pm

gomi

Post by gomi » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:24 pm

philter wrote:im aware of the consolidate comand im just not sure what the relevance is to my original post?

drag your clip to the arrangement window.

cut it edit it do whatever you want to it.
consolidate it
drag it back to a clip

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:45 pm

philter wrote:im aware of the consolidate comand im just not sure what the relevance is to my original post?
once you have saved your track any consolidations you make are automatically saved to the right location, with the title it has in the arrangement view. This alone practically makes Live one of the fastest sound editors in the world.

Recorded a 128 bar improv/track for remixing? Cut it into 8 correctly named 16-bar loops, saved as .wav in about two minutes. that's awesome.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:10 pm

Yep, I've always had this problem with dedicated audio editors chopping to bars/beats which live does so well and much much quicker.

None of the audio editors for mac snap the selector to bars/beats so you have to get in there with a magnifying glass to chop up something in perfect bars. Some of them you have to count samples/ms & convert it to beats or some nonsense like that. Peak has bars/beats but it doesn't snap to them and there was a bug in Peak 4 on powerbooks where the bars/beats timeline was totally messed up, unusable when you zoomed in.

Live is great for precise, large scale edits like that. I have been without an audio editor for 6 months now, no problem. I might cave in & buy Wave Editor though. The layers and crossfading/blending of audio files is pretty wild. That part about the program is looking mighty attractive to me.

Quattro is a really nice program and much much better value than Peak, but it's pretty utilitarian too, didn't have new concepts like Wave Editor does. When I demoed DSP Quattro, I didn't see any feature I really needed to use at the moment in conjuction with Live. 2.0 has added a few features however.

philter

Post by philter » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:36 pm

The problem i find with using live to edit audio is that im usual going through say 50 tracks and want to cut lots of 1/2 bar loops quickly.

I sometimes use a pc and wave lab is great at this as you can select a round say 2 bars then just save selections then move the whole selection to another part of the track and save again.

its great for what im doing and live just can do it as quick. i cant find an editor for the mac which has these functions

Thanks for all the input guys!

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:30 am

philter wrote: I sometimes use a pc and wave lab is great at this as you can select a round say 2 bars then just save selections then move the whole selection to another part of the track and save again.
Thanks for all the input guys!
you can do exactly the same in arrangement view. If you the tracks are still not warped and you want to find your two bars-sample by moving the loop-brackets, just turn of the grid and move the loop brackets. Then cut your loop out of the file, select it, rename it, consolidate it and find it in the directory you have chosen before by saving the live file. Then move the loop brackets, you can use the arrow-up-key to move it in "steps". It's working exactly as in wavelab, only faster and easier, hehe