If Live 6 has this I will upgrade

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
astar

If Live 6 has this I will upgrade

Post by astar » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:57 pm

in no paritcular order, here they are:

Record midi automation in session view
Groove quantize
better arrange view performance
better envelope drawing (ability to draw curves, etc.)
better vst performance
better freeze function (i.e. freeze VSTs in RAM as well)
folder tracks
better solo function: (ability to solo groups of tracks easily)
better midi mapping, (ability to save midi maps on a per instrument/effect basis)
instant rendering of clips (as an alternative to using Freeze)
consolidate in session view

more modifiers that let us choose between different behaviours (e.g. live 5.0.1 clip scrubbing vs live 4 scrubbing)

and most important of them all:
ROCK SOLID STABILITY

supster

Re: If Live 6 has this I will upgrade

Post by supster » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:21 pm

imo you have hit on most of the main must haves.

- yes, sorely lacking, would open up so many new soundesign techniques. please

Groove quantize

- a feature im just learning to really use in Acid but already i can see how important this is

Better arrange view performance

- :lol: ya think?? umm .. .yyeahhhh

better envelope drawing (ability to draw curves, etc.)

- yes absolutely .. current envelopes are a nice start but we need not only drawing ability but also pre-determined curves (context menu?)

better vst performance

- of course

better freeze function (i.e. freeze VSTs in RAM as well)

- yes ... freezing multi-out VSTis. also ability to "permenant freeze" and convieniently rename our freezed files. saves having to re-render when we are ready to print the track

folder tracks

- YES

better solo function: (ability to solo groups of tracks easily)

- PLEASE ... huge omission imo .. very annoying currently

instant rendering of clips (as an alternative to using Freeze)

- absolutely .. right click MIDI clip, does a render on the clip with all effects and allows you to name it.

consolidate in session view

- PLEASE ... such a simple thing we have been asking for for a couple of years now. please guys .....

more modifiers that let us choose between different behaviours (e.g. live 5.0.1 clip scrubbing vs live 4 scrubbing)

- yes, also something we keep pushing and pushing for. options are good. not bad.

and most important of them all:
ROCK SOLID STABILITY

- werd

adding:

full custom key command system

finally ... weve been needing this for a few years now, please let us set up our keys the way we need them to be for efficiency. autohotkeys is external, cant always buffer correctly and sometimes interferes

everything keymappable

somethings that are not currently mappable need to be. all browser and window buttons for instance. there are more i cant think of offhand. map everything possible

more shortcuts

for instance ... Select Current Clip Brace. many more. will make my own list later

nice one.

--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

astar

Post by astar » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:49 pm

also throw in a beat slicer!
Asus A8JS, Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2GHz, 2GB DDR2 667Mhz, 100GB 5400RPM SATA, Echo Indigo IOX, Windows XP SP3, Live 8.0.5

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:53 pm

only things I could add to this....

Selectable zoom +/- lens in the Arrangement and audio clip views, like you have in Logic, SX3, DP etc. Sure it's nice to be able to go to a hot spot on the screen in terms of simplicity I suppose, but when you are editing in Live, you sure notice how much slower it is than in the others, and that's a bummer.

User editable skins! :mrgreen:

astar

Post by astar » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:27 pm

... and there's more!

more slots in Impulse plus velocity layers
.rx2 support
velocity layers and key splits in Simpler
ability to control multiple parameters with one midi control
support for more than 128 VST parameters
multi monitor support
rendering option to render separate file for each track
ability to change time signature in middle of track

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:46 am

Also, something like the super bad ass feature in Logic called "capture last Take as Recording"! Basically you're playing a synth or drum pad part, and if the DAW is running, Logic will keep the MIDI notes in a buffer, so if you really nail a part, you can simply hit your assigned key command, and MIDI appears on that track as you just played it!
Probably too much to ask for, but damn that feature gets missed every time I usee another DAW? :?

astar

Post by astar » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:04 pm

So let's see how Ableton did on my Live 6 Wishlist Report Card :lol:

Groove quantize: Pretty close with the master clips in arrange view so I give it a Image
better arrange view performance Image
better vst performance: dual-core support! Image
better freeze function Image
folder tracks: pretty close since we can now shrink multiple tracks at once so I give it a Image
better solo function: (ability to solo groups of tracks easily) Image
better midi mapping, (ability to save midi maps on a per instrument/effect basis) : loving the automap Image
instant rendering of clips (as an alternative to using Freeze) Image
consolidate in session view : cropping clip samples works for this Image
velocity layers and key splits in Simpler : hello instrument racks :) Image
more slots in Impulse plus velocity layers: hello again racks Image
ability to control multiple parameters with one midi control Image
rendering option to render separate file for each track Image
ROCK SOLID STABILITY: So far it is very stable already and we're still in beta Image

So all we need are these and it's perfect:

.rx2 support
support for more than 128 VST parameters
multi monitor support
ability to change time signature in middle of track
better envelope drawing (ability to draw curves, LFO shapes, etc.)

Not bad though, they batting over .500 so I think I'm sold.
Asus A8JS, Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2GHz, 2GB DDR2 667Mhz, 100GB 5400RPM SATA, Echo Indigo IOX, Windows XP SP3, Live 8.0.5

aMUSEd

Post by aMUSEd » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:21 pm

astar wrote:
I just found out it doesn't do this - I expected it as standard in 5.2 - what host doesn't record automation these days? It certainly should be in 6 - why on earth is it left out at all?

anti-banausic

Post by anti-banausic » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:14 am

aMUSEd wrote:
astar wrote:
I just found out it doesn't do this - I expected it as standard in 5.2 - what host doesn't record automation these days? It certainly should be in 6 - why on earth is it left out at all?
Before you go blowing your top, realize that most hosts record automation in linear style sequencing, which LIVE can do easily.

Very few, if any, hosts have session view like characteristics, with clips that you can fire at any time, with automation.

As I would love to have this as well, I am not trying to undermine you, just realize what you are saying before you say it.
Macbook c2d 2.0, 2G RAM, 160G HD 5400 RPM, OSX(10.5.5), XP Home, LIVE6, BCR 2000, UC33e, Yamaha P-200, Logic Studio, KRK V6 II

deva

Post by deva » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:12 am

astar wrote: folder tracks: pretty close since we can now shrink multiple tracks at once so I give it a Image
I would not give a check for this one...

otherwise they did do quite well on your list...

aMUSEd

Post by aMUSEd » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:15 pm

anti-banausic wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
astar wrote:
Before you go blowing your top, realize that most hosts record automation in linear style sequencing, which LIVE can do easily.

Very few, if any, hosts have session view like characteristics, with clips that you can fire at any time, with automation.

As I would love to have this as well, I am not trying to undermine you, just realize what you are saying before you say it.
I'm not in danger of "blowing my top" - I do realise that. But I was rather surprised and disappointed seeing as its the session view where people do most of their jamming and as such being able to record tweaks to knobs is pretty essential. I still think it's a great app but I can't see why such an ommision - especially in a mature version and considering it is possible in the arrange view.

anti-banausic

Post by anti-banausic » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:57 pm

Look, there is a long debate on this with the Abes. It basically comes down to the implementation of relative vs. absolute MIDI data. I do not know everything about this, but rest assured that they know what is up and I am sure they are trying to do something about it.
Macbook c2d 2.0, 2G RAM, 160G HD 5400 RPM, OSX(10.5.5), XP Home, LIVE6, BCR 2000, UC33e, Yamaha P-200, Logic Studio, KRK V6 II

astar

Post by astar » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:26 pm

aMUSEd wrote:I just found out it doesn't do this - I expected it as standard in 5.2 - what host doesn't record automation these days? It certainly should be in 6 - why on earth is it left out at all?
Implementing recording automation in session view is a LOT harder than some people think. People claim other hosts can do it, but that's not true since other hosts don't have a live looping session view, they only have an arrange view type interface. Live can already record automation to arrange view....

This isn't justification for it not being there and I sure hope thye find a way to add it soon. Just pointing out that this can't be fxied with one line of code or something... it's actually quite difficult. Maybe if we are constructive with our threads and brainstorm some ideas on how to actually implement it, we can help the Abletons come up with a sure fire way to make it work.

Check out my other thread for some ideas:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44474

Soma

Post by Soma » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:40 pm

NEED IT. (hope you are including envelope changes here too)
multi monitor support
Want it!
better envelope drawing (ability to draw curves, LFO shapes, etc.)
Would use it all the time.

The only other Must Have for me is a better work around for dummy clips. I NEED a way to trigger effect/parameter envelopes seperate from the audio/midi clips.

geo

Post by geo » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:20 pm

...and for god's sake. folder tracks, is it so hard to implement?