first note record, on-the-fly erase, & note repeat

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
kuniklo

first note record, on-the-fly erase, & note repeat

Post by kuniklo » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:55 am

Three features I miss from hardware sequencers:

1. "first note record" mode
Like loop recording with overdub off, but doesn't "punch in" until you play a note, then erases notes until the end of the loop/clip and punches out at the end. This way you can just hit record and keep recording takes until you get one right without deleting anything or stopping playback.

2. on-the-fly erase
While recording, hold down a function key or something and a note and that note will be erased as the playback position moves through the clip, mpc-style. This is great for dynamic laying down layers of beats without ever moving away from the keyboard or fiddling with the transport. Much more immediate than going back and forth between editing with the mouse and trying to work into a rhythm on the keyboard.

3. note-repeat
Hold down some modifier key to make incoming midi repeat and quantized interals, again like the mpc. Great for laying down detailed hi-hat patterns, for instance, that you'd have a hard time playing by hand.

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:18 pm

yes indeed

liquidfx

Post by liquidfx » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:21 pm

i second this, unless its already possible...in that case i somehow missed out on a totally great feature!

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:21 am

these are great suggestions!