pattern sequencer

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:20 pm

Machinate wrote:
Soma wrote:What do you see as the main differences between a step sequencer and a midi clip? Isn't a midi clip just a pattern in a sequencer (the session view).
+1. ;)
+2

i see these step-sequencer posts pop up all the time here... and i go... 'but isn't it already there???...'

note on/note off: use pencil

length: drag the end of it out

change step size: command 1, 2, 3 (for triplets) 4 (for none)
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

deva

Post by deva » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:02 am

What Live could use is a pattern based arpeggiator (polyphonic). Which is a step sequencer that takes its root nate from playing notes, which would be the important difference from a midi clip.

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:07 am

I'm still hoping for step record mode for the pianoroll though, just a bog standard step record mode, you hit record, then play your sequence on your midi keyboard each time you hit a note it advances one step based on the step size and one note could be assigned as a rest, I hate tapping notes into the pianoroll by hand, I allways come up with melodies or hooks just by playing them at my own pace on the keyboard, these are allmost allways to fast to play properly at the tempos I work in so they require multiple takes or going in and hand editing or slowing down the tempo, that's where step record mode saves so much time.

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:16 am

deva wrote:What Live could use is a pattern based arpeggiator (polyphonic). Which is a step sequencer that takes its root nate from playing notes, which would be the important difference from a midi clip.
Yeah that would be nice to, I don't use arppeggios much since I useually edit them in manually, but it could be implemented for multiple clips, each clip could have a property called something like global transpose[x]

Then when you activate global record mode any note played on a keyboard would transpose all clips set to global transpose, this way you could quickly come up with a cadance, I was actually trying to do something like that with my triggerfinger so each pad would transpose a clip, couldnt get it to work properly though :x

deva

Post by deva » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:20 am

ILTK wrote:
deva wrote:What Live could use is a pattern based arpeggiator (polyphonic). Which is a step sequencer that takes its root nate from playing notes, which would be the important difference from a midi clip.
Yeah that would be nice to, I don't use arppeggios much since I useually edit them in manually, but it could be implemented for multiple clips, each clip could have a property called something like global transpose[x]

Then when you activate global record mode any note played on a keyboard would transpose all clips set to global transpose, this way you could quickly come up with a cadance, I was actually trying to do something like that with my triggerfinger so each pad would transpose a clip, couldnt get it to work properly though :x

Interesting idea. Sounds like a fine feature in its own right. It would work differently than a polyphonic pattern based arp like in Zebra2 or the Korg Z1 and would not replace them. Which notes you play and the order you play them can drastically change the arp output. With those arps, you can play them like an instrument, not just a steady repeating pattern.

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:07 pm

deva wrote:Interesting idea. Sounds like a fine feature in its own right. It would work differently than a polyphonic pattern based arp like in Zebra2 or the Korg Z1 and would not replace them. Which notes you play and the order you play them can drastically change the arp output. With those arps, you can play them like an instrument, not just a steady repeating pattern.
Oh I see what you mean now, so the pattern does not retrigger for each note you play, meaning you could delay the start of one note and it would play the pattern but it would play delayed from the other allready playing, creating polyrhytmic arps.

That would be nice, I create these kinds of arps using Sonars step sequencer, I'll play the bass notes of the arp first using a pattern of 16ths going say 1011, then overdub the 2nd and 3rd notes using another pattern that runs offbeat to the bass pattern to create those kind of arps, would be nice having realtime control.

I'll have to check out the Z1, Zebra2 doesn't run on PC, know of any pc vstis that has this feature?

Soma

Post by Soma » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:02 pm

ILTK wrote:I'm still hoping for step record mode for the pianoroll though, just a bog standard step record mode, you hit record, then play your sequence on your midi keyboard each time you hit a note it advances one step based on the step size and one note could be assigned as a rest, I...
I'm with you on that 100%

toeman

Re: pattern sequencer

Post by toeman » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:25 am

sounds pretty cool yeah

1.A.M.

Post by 1.A.M. » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:31 pm

after six more years the topic is revived.... :lol:

toeman

Post by toeman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:25 pm

hehe yeah lol....Nostalgia made me reply once more to this topic, even though I have been away from this forum for 6 years ;-)