What Live 6 Needs to Compete as a True DAW

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
huffcw

What Live 6 Needs to Compete as a True DAW

Post by huffcw » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:58 am

In order of priority:

1. Improved MIDI capabilities (e.g., more in depth editing capabilities, option to view and work with the piano roll in a larger area, etc.)
2. Better mixing and metering capabilities (perhaps as a third view)
3. Integrated dithering (and other audio quality enhancements)
4. Video integration

Livewire

Post by Livewire » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:51 pm

i agree, except for the mastering. i think instead of adding a third view, ableton just needs more mastering effects. i'd like to see a noise reduction tool. the system for mastering is already there: the master track. put the right effect in there and you're set, literally, your "set"

also some analysis effects would be nice too

peace
: XP Pro Sp2 : 3.2GHz : 1GB RAM : Dell 8400 :
Live:Mawzer:Lemur:X-Station 25:I wish

gomi

Post by gomi » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:56 pm

Livewire wrote:i agree, except for the mastering. i think instead of adding a third view, ableton just needs more mastering effects. i'd like to see a noise reduction tool. the system for mastering is already there: the master track. put the right effect in there and you're set, literally, your "set"

also some analysis effects would be nice too

peace
it would be nice if the eq had a graphical analysis of your input/output
so you can see what you are eqing.

Jackal and Hyde

Re: What Live 6 Needs to Compete as a True DAW

Post by Jackal and Hyde » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:31 am

huffcw wrote:In order of priority:

1. Improved MIDI capabilities (e.g., more in depth editing capabilities, option to view and work with the piano roll in a larger area, etc.)
2. Better mixing and metering capabilities (perhaps as a third view)
3. Integrated dithering (and other audio quality enhancements)
4. Video integration

No, please dont waste one millisecond of time on any video crap/code. Keep tricking out the DAW itself. Thanks.

gomi

Post by gomi » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:00 pm

Jackal and Hyde wrote: No, please dont waste one millisecond of time on any video crap/code. Keep tricking out the DAW itself. Thanks.
another person whose never had to score anything before!

abletoff

Post by abletoff » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:10 pm

after live 6, a video app or better modular extension could well be in live 7... but not until that, we need better arranging first. If they manage to pull it off in v6 along with great arranging I won't complain though
Live 9 Suite, audio trackles (several audio tracks that crackle)

Q&A

Post by Q&A » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:25 pm

I don't know, I think I'd like to be able to trigger video clips right from Live. Not even for scoring reasons, but for performance.

That is not a priority though, and should take a back seat to perfecting audio stability.
More synths, and FX,....bring it.

huffcw

Post by huffcw » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:51 pm

Q&A wrote:
That is not a priority though, and should take a back seat to perfecting audio stability.
More synths, and FX,....bring it.
I agree - and that why I listed video as last in priority. It would be nice to have, but I would also much rather have them focus on improving audio and midi aspects first.

rsarja

Post by rsarja » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:11 pm

Dithering would do it for me.

Ron

huffcw

Post by huffcw » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:43 pm

huffcw wrote:In order of priority:

... option to view and work with the piano roll in a larger area ...
Of course you can drag the window open to make the area you are working with larger, but it isn't exactly the best workflow. Maybe inline editing like ACID 6 would be the way to go???

Nod

Post by Nod » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:48 am

BUMP! :D

Off the top of me head...

1. Efficiency - gotta get that code faster along with improved RAM management? Perhaps even specific assignable 'resource profiles' dependant on user needs/set loads?

2. Improved mixer view (as in a better Ctrl+Alt+P that was in 4.14) along with groupable faders/folder tracks? The collapsed track feature in 5 would've been great if we could've kept decent sized faders - an ergonomic use of screen estate it ain't.

3. LiveFX/VSTi/AU MIDI cc set ups - set your controller up for the main cc's ONLY once for each intrument/effect. Instant control - instant gratification. Live's MIDI implementation is already brilliant - hence it's amazing that something so useful, and simple to implement given you guys already have recallable MIDI cc's/keystroke, hasn't been already.

4. Bezier and S curves for editing. Right click on automation between points brings up dialogue box with presets. Selection of any edit point should also bring up a dialogue at the bottom where exact values can be entered as the current values seem somewhat discrete.

5. Large clip copy/paste operation speed increase in both Session and Arrangement. Perhaps some kind of 'virtual' or 'ghost' clip system that references the original, assuming no changes, rather than a direct copy?

6. Improved Freeze function, including movable clips from arrangement and session along with freezable subgroups that then freeze all tracks routed to them?

7. Better file system/pool management? Self contain files to Sounds folder but allow differing arrangements from the same Folder?

8. Export all/selected tracks as 'stems' function

9. Dual Monitor support. F10 - Clip Edit/Piano Roll Pane To Fullscreen, F11 - (as is) FullScreen, F12 - DualScreen?

10. Cup holder, third party spliff roller and copy of Mixerman diaries :)

I'm sure others will feel differently but I ain't remotely interested in 'bolt on' payware instruments or radical new features (preset management/FOD in 5.x - seriously WTF?) that could slow refinement or wreck what already worked perfectly - I'd rather Live improved it's postition to be the most stable, efficient and creative audio DAW on the market. It's already nailed the last. C'mon all - regardless of how you use the app this thread's a biggie and deserves more notice - no point bitchin' on the release of 6 when we can do it now...what would improve your workflow?

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:09 pm

And please get rid of the piano roll zooming, it´s a pain in the ass.
Just give use 2 or 3 fixed zoom, levels wich make sense in terms of size of the notes and useability.

Greetings
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

Basha_Downs

Post by Basha_Downs » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:52 pm

midi midi midi, 8 slots wtf need more i'll be usin cubase for production from now on.....take a hint from battery 2
P4, mackie onyx 400f/1620, TC powercore, Cubase sx3.1.1, ableton 5.2, Battery 2.0, motu mach five, bx8a's, oxygen v.2

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:52 am

Basha_Downs wrote:midi midi midi, 8 slots wtf need more i'll be usin cubase for production from now on.....take a hint from battery 2
8 slots ? 8 slots of what ? Are you sure you're using Live ?
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:53 pm

serotoninsteve wrote:And please get rid of the piano roll zooming, it´s a pain in the ass.
Just give use 2 or 3 fixed zoom, levels wich make sense in terms of size of the notes and useability.

Greetings
What happens when you want to use it without the grid?
Drums