overlapping midi notes of the same note number

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Angstrom

overlapping midi notes of the same note number

Post by Angstrom » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:39 am

I often want to write notes that are the same note value but overlapping, I cant do this currently.

unless someone can enlighten me to an option I have missed

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:03 pm

is this for parameter control or for musical notes? what exactly are you doing?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:29 pm

sustaining musical notes.

SHORT EXAMPLE
so I can put in a two-bar long note at c3, this to trigger a rising pad. Now after half a bar enter another c3. I should now have two rising c3 pad notes. Live will delete one note, other sequencers allow note layering.

LONGER EXAMPLE
I have a drum voice in impulse assigned to 'gate' mode, an open hi-hat which will sounds as long as the note is down. There is a very short release on the open hi-hat for use in 'cymbal grabbing' IE choking or cutting off the cymbal voice requires a short decay.
Now, if I want an open hi-hat to play on beat one, then another an 8th later I would want the first to stay open and ringing - of course I could use a long release for this .. but in this case I cant - live only allows one not. so I get a stacato effect.

hope that makes sense

I didn't post an example before because people will say "use a long release", but thats not the issue, there are lots of cases when I need a key to hold down and trigger a sample, then to be able to start another (same value) note while the first sustains .

this cannot be solved by adding long releases to the voice, because this is a sustaining voice issue.

to see what I want simply draw a couple of half bar C3 notes in cubase or fruity or whatever program you like , then drag the later note start over the end of the first note. They will overlap in other applications
In Live one is deleted!

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:49 pm

the long release would help on the first example right?

i guess you use two impulse channels, one for each hat release setting

not knocking your idea though

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:19 pm

it wouldnt help, because I would need a long release of 1 and 3/4 bar.
If I wanted to play a note on the pad that was less than that length I couldn't do it.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:43 am

i agree, this is weak

Scoox

Re: overlapping midi notes of the same note number

Post by Scoox » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:55 am

This is a stupid limitation. Similar problem in Bitwig. I don't get it. AFAIK polyphonic synths allow triggering the same note twice, this is quite a common thing to do when playing patches with long decay times.