Step sequencer

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
YILA

Step sequencer

Post by YILA » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:47 pm

A way to make the midi window look like a step sequencer - for when you are using impulse.
Scan i5 in the studio. Dual core Pc laptop, 13inch macbookpro,RME fireface 800,live 8.1,operator. drum machines Myspace Soundcloud Youtube Twitter

Poster

Post by Poster » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:08 am

what kind of stepsequencer?

- to draw in notes as Reason's Matrix? (cause that's what it allready does)
- or 'classic' stepsequencing with knobs controlling the pitch of a note?
- with a patternmatrix and other enhanced options?

YILA

Post by YILA » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:27 am

for drums - like the old 909 style.

I hate having to double click to add a note in.
Scan i5 in the studio. Dual core Pc laptop, 13inch macbookpro,RME fireface 800,live 8.1,operator. drum machines Myspace Soundcloud Youtube Twitter

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:33 am

YILA wrote: I hate having to double click to add a note in.
try [command] + or click the pencil icon at the top to activate draw mode for notes..
no need for double clicking

Elaed

Post by Elaed » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:31 pm

Yes!

I'd like to see this too - 909 / redrum style, the patterns stored in the stepseq plugin too would be a great alternative to clips (just as another choice). They could be easily midi triggered without scene changes disrupting anything. It's possible to do this with Impulse and clips, but it's an annoying workaround, I won't go into it now.

Each step being midi assignable would mean anyone with a midi controller with some led buttons and 2 way communication (Behringer) could use it as a real hardware style drum step sequencer!

PEOPLE WANT THIS!!!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:10 pm

I understood 'step sequencer' to mean like a 'step mode' as in the old cubase mode ... or any hardware sequencer. You set your quantize grid to 16ths or whatever - then every time you press a note that note gets entered and the entry point moves forward one 16th (or one quantize unit)

that's whats usually refered to as a step-squencer, the moog-style is usually called an analogue-style sequencer or moog-style.

I would be possible to write a vsti stepsequencer like I just described (note in - note advance) , then use the output of that to route to another Live midi track and record its output.

I have a really badly made moog-style analogue-knob sequencer which I use for messing about. I'd link it but I'm in the middle of hosting issues.

it's kind of fun, I should do a finished version some time. You can probably find one on KVR though

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:38 pm

Step sequencing mode is what we need, activate it and notes gets recorded straight into the pianoroll.

Sonar does this right, I'd kill to have Sonars step sequencer in Live, I even bought ERA, but it doesn't work fully and requires workarounds to work with Live allmost defeating the whole purpose :(