MIDI Mappings - Still REQURE a current MIDI device?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
vanceg

MIDI Mappings - Still REQURE a current MIDI device?

Post by vanceg » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:03 pm

Is there no way to assign MIDI Mappings when there is no MIDI device connected to the computer? Yes, it is DELIGHTFUL to be able to drop into MIDI Mapping mode, select a parameter, and then wiggle a MIDI controller to assign that controller to the selected parameter. But, there are times when I don't have my MIDI controller handy and I would like to work on a project, assigning MIDI controllers to parameters should not REQURE me to have a MIDI controller attached.
I'd like to be able to creat a MIDI map and just TYPE IN the MIDI controller/note number that I want, rather than HAVING to move a physical MIDI controller.

I could have sworn that I hear there would be a way to do this in V6. Maybe I'm whacked...

The lesson on MIDI mappings didn't cover this... obviously it's too early for a full manual.....
Anyone have an idea?

V

vanceg

Re: [jab] MIDI Mappings - Still REQURE a current MIDI device?

Post by vanceg » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:18 pm

So - Is there no way to edit MIDI mappings (for example, change the MIDI CC number that is being assigned to a fader) without actaully sending that CC number? Wouldn't it be useful and very logical (and quite simple) to allow users to edit the MIDI mappings by simply typing them in? Ideally I'd like to be able to create new mappings and edit exisitng ones this way, but I can't seem to do either.

It appears that The only way to tell Live which MIDI command you want to assign to a parameter is to actually send that MIDI command. This causes some problems when using some types of MIDI controllers - for example: I have a set of joysticks that I map to parameters in Live. Each joystick sends out one CC message for Up/Down and another for Left/Right. When I assign these to a parameter in Live, i have to move the joystick to send a messsage to Live. The problem is that when you move a joystick, you often move both up/down and left/right. So when I try to assign a parameter to the CC that is sent when I move Left/Right, I often also send the Up/Down message by mistake (because my hand isn't perfectly steady). So Live 'sees' the last message that was sent to it - and this often means that I accidentally map to the Up/Down CC message when I intend to map to the Left/Right message.

Or- I have a footpedal that sends 13 program change messages every time I press one pedal. I want to assign a Live parameter to the program change message that is sent third....but I have no way to do this.

What I have had to do is write a MAX patch or use MIDI Pipe to filter out all other messages when I am doing my MIDI assignments. This is a big pain in the ass and would be rendered totally unnecessary if I could at least click on the MIDI mapping assignments in live and edit them.

Now, someones supposed to say "Hey, hold down the command key and this works perfectly" ;-) And then I shrink away embarassed that I didn't find that...

vanceg wrote:Is there no way to assign MIDI Mappings when there is no MIDI device connected to the computer? Yes, it is DELIGHTFUL to be able to drop into MIDI Mapping mode, select a parameter, and then wiggle a MIDI controller to assign that controller to the selected parameter. But, there are times when I don't have my MIDI controller handy and I would like to work on a project, assigning MIDI controllers to parameters should not REQURE me to have a MIDI controller attached.
I'd like to be able to creat a MIDI map and just TYPE IN the MIDI controller/note number that I want, rather than HAVING to move a physical MIDI controller.

I could have sworn that I hear there would be a way to do this in V6. Maybe I'm whacked...

The lesson on MIDI mappings didn't cover this... obviously it's too early for a full manual.....
Anyone have an idea?

V
Latptop:
MacBook Pro 2.33, RME Fireface 400, iPad running TouchOSC, VG-99 processor, SoftStep foot pedal (2)

Desktop:
MacPro 3.15Ghz, 8GB RAM, Maudio Profire, Eventide H8000, Eventide Eclipse.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:21 pm

use this to send interapplication MIDI to live 6 http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10541

Alex

Post by Alex » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:33 am

Of course an editable MIDI / KEY mapping would be nice and desirable but it will not make it into Live 6.
So I moved this one into the Wishlist forum.

Regards,
/Alex

deva

Post by deva » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:21 pm

It is the same for my XY pad - no matter how I touch it, it seems to send X then Y so I can never map X to a parameter. As a workaround, what I have done is map an extra knob to the same value as the X axis so I use that to set X then just don't use that knob except for that.

If you have some extra knobs, you could try doing that too. I find it the most convenient since it is right there. It does take up a knob.

vanceg

Post by vanceg » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:10 am

deva wrote:It is the same for my XY pad - no matter how I touch it, it seems to send X then Y so I can never map X to a parameter. As a workaround, what I have done is map an extra knob to the same value as the X axis so I use that to set X then just don't use that knob except for that.

If you have some extra knobs, you could try doing that too. I find it the most convenient since it is right there. It does take up a knob.
Thanks. Yes - What I have been doing (for ages now) is writing a MAX/MSP application that allows me to send and CC command I want. I map using this application as a "virtual" controller, and then I start using my actual physical controller. It's too bad this didn't make it into 6 - seems like a logical extension of the vastly improved MIDI implementation that did make it.

Thanks for your thoughts

Vance
Latptop:
MacBook Pro 2.33, RME Fireface 400, iPad running TouchOSC, VG-99 processor, SoftStep foot pedal (2)

Desktop:
MacPro 3.15Ghz, 8GB RAM, Maudio Profire, Eventide H8000, Eventide Eclipse.

saiteron

Re: MIDI Mappings - Still REQURE a current MIDI device?

Post by saiteron » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:42 am

vanceg wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:03 pm
Is there no way to assign MIDI Mappings when there is no MIDI device connected to the computer? Yes, it is DELIGHTFUL to be able to drop into MIDI Mapping mode, select a parameter, and then wiggle a MIDI controller to assign that controller to the selected parameter. But, there are times when I don't have my MIDI controller handy and I would like to work on a project, assigning MIDI controllers to parameters should not REQURE me to have a MIDI controller attached.

Anyone have an idea?

V
Dear Ableton,

people have been requesting manual MIDI mapping since 2006 (Ableton Live V6). yet another reason you might want to manually enter MIDI mappings: not having your controller currently attached. if you're on a plane and wanna do some prep work for a show you're flying to without dragging out your monster MIDI controller, you currently are unable to do so without downloading external software or M4L devices. please, implement this feature ASAP.

S4racen

Re: MIDI Mappings - Still REQURE a current MIDI device?

Post by S4racen » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:25 am

Hi, you could use CLyphX Pro and it's Bindings add on to write the mappings independent of Live's MIDI Mapping functionality...

https://isotonikstudios.com/product/cly ... -bindings/

Cheers
D