Time signature changes

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
LiLStressor

Post by LiLStressor » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:19 pm

I agree with all of you. The only solution right now is to run Ableton as a rewire slave so that the other DAW handles the sequencng. It boggles my mind why they haven't implemented this since we're already in version 6! Maybe someone at Ableton was subjected to 10 hours a day of King Crimson and now has developed a phobia of time signature changes... :roll:

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:49 pm

Just had a brain fart about this. We already have marker capabilities in Arrange. Why not, just like we can do BPM changes with scenes, have time signature changes by renaming markers. And for that matter, why not have both?

So for example if a scene is named 133 BPM, it changes when triggered. We could have "3/4 SIG; 133 BPM" and when that scene triggers, the time signature changes to 3/4 and the BPM goes to 133. Same with markers in Arrange - rename them to the correct time sig and bpm.

Just a suggestion, Abes.

posssu

Post by posssu » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:05 pm

I don't like the current implementation of changing bpm by renaming a scene in session view.

First of all, it takes away the possibility to actually give some name to the scene. It seems like some quickly added solution to me.

Why can't there be some.. double clickable option tab that opens, containing "scene trigger settings". Anyway, I'm going out of the topic.

But: I don't agree with putting bpm/time signature changes to markers. For the same reason as the scene renaming.

I think a time signature track would be way better. Just like tempo track currently and it would be fully automated - just like tempo track.
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:15 am

Well boo hoo to you for poo poo-ing my idea. Were it not a reasonably well-formulated, nicely-articulated, and fairly respectful argument, I'd open a can of flaming woop-ass on your...umm...ass. Yeah, mofo!

gp23

Post by gp23 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:32 am

God, they could probably code this in an afternoon and release it tomorrow. Do it!

Please. :D

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:53 pm

gp23 wrote:God, they could probably code this in an afternoon and release it tomorrow. Do it!

Alex is probably *slapping* his forehead at this statement right now...

f.mjelkan

Post by f.mjelkan » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:47 pm

This thread is like fresh air for somebody who has been underwater for a good minute.

I completely agree with what people wrote here in the first place and I am going to start with the good things:

I've been a Digital Performer user since it came out and I've always worked well with it. Around the release of version 3 I found that Logic was some steps ahead and switched. I was FAR from being "hobbyst" even back then and switching from one application to another was not a matter of mature-toying or post-job anti-stress fun. It was a matter of getting my behind kicked if something went wrong.

Nothing did, however and here I am standing on my two, original feet.

A couple months ago I tried Live 6 out (yes, I didn't know much about it before then, only that it was a "great" app). End of the story: I bought it right away.

Live is, to me, the almost-perfect blending between Pro Tools and Logic approaches.

I had one complaint that was "video" but that's totally gone. Now I am left with this: time signature changes. I don't know if this is really some hard thing to program but considering the number of plugins that make use of the grid (e.g. beat repeater) it is no simple thing to just ignore the song signature.

I happen to be a lot into soundtracks these days and I learnt how to work with NO click at all. I don't like using the tempo editor to move (can be a GREAT method, anyway) the tempo around: I prefer to just play it the way I would like it to be conducted.

No problem at all for me - in this case. But in many others: yes, time signature changes MUST be present in any software application that deals with "music". Again, it must be a hard thing to program and develop and I am not aware of it. That will explain.

Is there any official explanation why this thing is still not present? Any plans for implementation? If no, we can always stop working in different signatures..I assume :D (=sarcasm).

Thanks for this thread! BUMP.
nebulae wrote:Why not, just like we can do BPM changes with scenes, have time signature changes by renaming markers. And for that matter, why not have both?

So for example if a scene is named 133 BPM, it changes when triggered. We could have "3/4 SIG; 133 BPM" and when that scene triggers, the time signature changes to 3/4 and the BPM goes to 133. Same with markers in Arrange - rename them to the correct time sig and bpm.

Just a suggestion, Abes.
This could REALLY be a solution, I would pay right now to have this possibility and honestly: It seems very practical like not just a workaround but a true easy and comfortable way of quickly working with time signatures.

Thanks!
Last edited by f.mjelkan on Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." _A.H.

f.mjelkan

Post by f.mjelkan » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:48 pm

gp23 wrote:God, they could probably code this in an afternoon and release it tomorrow. Do it!

oh and this post is simply awesome. I couldn't come up with a shorter way of saying this :)
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." _A.H.

albertors

piano p

Post by albertors » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:57 pm

Maybe someone at Ableton was subjected to 10 hours a day of King Crimson and now has developed a phobia of time signature changes..
oh God that might be the one and only explanation! :) Because, sincerely: I see no reason why a music sequencer by definition shouldn't have time signature changes. It's got audio, midi tracks, faders..BPM..why not signature changes?

I am no way close to be a programmer/coder but it sounds like an easy thing to implement..I've seen things in Live that made me (happily) drop my jaw.

It's like being a master pianist and playing like this:

You get the idea.

I've been asked quite a number of times "oh amazing software..and how can I change the signature for a couple bars?".

Maybe I should fire a smoke grenade and run :)
The only solution right now is to run Ableton as a rewire slave so that the other DAW handles the sequencng
I mean: to do that..seems much more complex than having it built-in. Still..no clue.

planetplosion

Post by planetplosion » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:12 am

Doi, I agree with everything here. Just keep posting! Maybe they'll see the huge # of pages and realize how dumb they are being.

ozone7

Post by ozone7 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:40 am

Please Ableton.

x

sebovzeoueb

Post by sebovzeoueb » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:37 pm

+58943047813097534980709834267529345
MacBook Pro 17", 2GB RAM; Live 6, Pod XT Live, MOTU Ultralite, M-AUDIO Axiom 25, Electric and Acoustic Ukuleles, Fretless Bass.

http://www.myspace.com/s2belectronica

krank

Post by krank » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:08 pm

I've brought this up several times myself. It's the one feature I'd most like to see, and it keeps me from upgrading.

blacknoisegenerator

absolutely yes please!!!

Post by blacknoisegenerator » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:28 am

There's no reason it can't be thrown in already. i mean, if you can go into the clip view and change the NAME of the scene to a tempo, (i.e. 98 bpm), why can't you just name the new scene "7/8 96bpm" and have the scene switch to 7/8 at 96 beats per minute???

This doesn't seem even remotely difficult. The code already seems to be halfway written. Just... ADD IT!!!! 6.0.6!!!!!!!!

err... Bump??

LiLStressor

Post by LiLStressor » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:24 pm

For what its worth, I'm going to keep adding posts to this thread until Ableton comes to their senses. No upgrades for me until its added...