Beat Repeat 2

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Poster

Beat Repeat 2

Post by Poster » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:20 pm

small collection of suggestions for BR2
hoffman2k wrote:Why not add a reverse button and grid resolutions that make sense?
Call it beat repeat 2
Poster wrote:or a Grid Decay.. that would blow me away..
call that Beat Repeat 2.1
hoffman2k wrote:And a variation knob for the offset

mark h wrote:how about having "minus" values on the Pitch Decay and Volume Decay parameters, allowing the sample to build in volume/decay as it repeats.
mickeybabaji wrote:and some user designed repeat patterns abilities.
gomi wrote:yah and the ability to play repeats backwards.. randomly or all the time
etc...
peeddrroo wrote:i have another suggestion for beat repeat. more about the way it works right now:
i'd like the "grid" parameter to be linked to "interval", so that the grid value can't be lower than the interval value: when this is the case, beatrepeat just doesn't alter the sound at all, this doesn't make sense to me.
this is especially annoying when performing live and setting this parameter with controllers, you always have to be careful to not have the grid value lower than the interval one.

or at least, a nice way to achieve this, would be to have an entry "interval value" as a possible minimum value for the grid parameter when you midi-assign it to a knob. i hope this is clear.
mikHATz wrote:Would really like to see an envelope for the repeated portion of the sample, instead of just decay, have attack and release.
serotoninsteve wrote:Timestretching for the sample catched by the instant repeat button. For now if the sample is running and you change the project tempo it runs out of sync against other tracks.
serotoninsteve wrote:Triplets only in adition of the no triplets switch.
Last edited by Poster on Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:31 pm

Nice one :D

Poster

Post by Poster » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:49 pm

yeah..
I thought it would be nice to collect all reasonable suggestions..

so all feel free to add some 'realistic' features..

all 'slicer' requests will be ignored :wink:

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:50 pm

Thanx for adding my suggestions.

I would like to see a sli... errhm, sorry, wrong thread. :roll:

No seriousely,
I would like to have the repeat button rather linked to the offset value instead as to the grid value, like it´s now.
For grid values like full bar it´s no problem, the catched sample is always fine, a well cut one bar loop.
When you choose smaller values for the grid, you need to hit the repeat button exactly at the right moment (the repeat button is some sort of "quantized" to the grid value, but also does control the lenght of the repeated sample ) to get a usefull result, and it catches by far not always the same portion (means start to end) of the running audio stream.
If it was linked to the offset value you could catch always the same portion with an exactly defined adjustable startpoint.
You could still shorten or lenghten the catched sample using the grid value, but not have to care of the grids position before catching the sample.

And a longer repeat buffer, 4 bars would do the job for me.

Greetings
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:16 am

I had another idea,
If the mix, insert and gate buttons would be replaced by a knob, a bit like a wet and dry function,
but this time to the full left -> insert, middle pos. -> mix and full right -> gate.
Like this we could morph between the 3 states.
There still could be one optional button "disable morph" wich would let react the button as a switch, like it is now.

Greetings
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

Poster

Post by Poster » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:53 am

really nice idea...!
but if you don't want to wait for this you could set it up with the macro's..

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:47 am

Great ideas, thanks for collecting them!

Poster

Post by Poster » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:36 pm

my personal no.1 wish is a decay function for the Grid parameter..

The decay should go up or down, over the length of the Gate time..

Poster

Post by Poster » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:38 pm

and an unsynced grid resolution for those great bouncing ball effects..

Nixon

Post by Nixon » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:18 am

Poster wrote:and an unsynced grid resolution for those great bouncing ball effects..

Yes definitly! plus the reverse function 8O

Nice selection Poster :)

Soma

Post by Soma » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:46 pm

good ideas!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:57 am

Launch quantization for the repeat button.

eamoon

Post by eamoon » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:59 am

I don't know what "grid decay" would be (sounds cool) but does anyone mind if I start a punk band named that?

Picking a good level of control over grid resolution seems like a really hard problem. I do wish beatrepeat had somewhat finer control... the standard Live delay-by-beat settings are pretty handy that way (1 2 3 4 5 6 8 16). 3 and 5 are particularly useful. But then I try to figure out how to incorporate triplets into a scheme like that and my brain explodes...

Poster

Post by Poster » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:18 am

eamoon wrote:I don't know what "grid decay" would be (sounds cool) but does anyone mind if I start a punk band named that?
With grid decay I mean that the value for Grid will decay (up or down) over the length of the Gate time..

example;

let's say Grid is at 1/16 and Gate at 8/16..
If you would set Grid Decay to 1 bar,
the value for Grid would decay from 1/16 to 1 bar over the length of Gate time (8/16)

another one;
let's say Grid is at 1/24 and Gate at 1 bar..
If you would put Grid Decay to 1/64,
the value for Grid would decay from 1/24 to 1/64 over the length of Gate time (1 bar)

but I guess this feature would make more sense if there was an unsynced grid..

p.s.
don't mind if you name a punk band Grid Decay,
as long as you're willing to share the groupies :wink:

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:33 pm

more interval and grid values:

TRIPLETS FOR INTERVAL!!!!!!

and 3/16, 5/16, 3/8 values for the grid.
actually, it would be nice if all "time synch" knobs had consistent values all over Live.