LONGER FADERS!!! Need for musician

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Longer Faders

LONGER FADERS!!! Need for musician

Post by Longer Faders » Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:34 pm

I have been told that Ableton is designed by musicians. How can this be???. I dont know any musician who enjoys mixing with a mouse on the smallest and most akward faders around.

I record automation manual with the mouse I use the mouse and push the faders or plugin paramaters in my other softwares, IN LIve its impossible. Totally impossible. Whats need in having faders at all? I use Live for six months now and it has become soooooo bad for mixing with the feel and THAT is what is supposed to be good for.

Also when the are moved just to get levels ok. it is to difficult to get the exactly right. very fiddly indeed. THEY NEED TO BE BIGGER like CUBASE or PRO TOOLS. I dont use Logic is because it has small faders!!!!!!

Come on Ableton, you give many unimportant things for the loop music players in Live a lot of space

Yes, maybe non musicians that just use other peoples looped music might think there is no need for proper faders but i bet that many of them also do.

please dont leave the musicians out. We will still be here when the no music writers have long gone when the dance music around gets more bad and bad. I have friends who used to release dance music fulltime up to 2 month ago. They stop becaus ethey cant get paid for the records they release because dance labels are all stopping business (Sad). They now work in factory and cant buy any more music equipment (Sad to). They know many others who have to do the same. But real music come up again and this is market for Live. I am 1000% sure. But NOT with the small faders no proffessional.

You must take proper musicians in to the account or they will not use the product . The loop player days will be gone in time then its up to the real musicians and you can be part of it.

I have no want of buying a controler. I need a proper mobile setup

apology for the bad english!

PS
I order my G5. I hope for a better performance than i get from my dual Mac. Hoping very much, and much.

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:31 am

huh? I'm a giggin musician that uses Live for performance, and have no problem with the fader size, and I even use the mouse. As you mentioned, other programs have faders that small, REason, logic.... maybe the problem isn't the software out there...Live's interface is all about packing as much into a single screen to have everything at your fingertips for performance, not like all the floating windows and layers of sonar, pt, cubase, etc. A big clunky mixer filling up half out screen is NOt what we need on stage. Maybe Live could let you hit alt or ctrl while manipulating a fader to go into fine tuning mode (to dial up the right level). you can always type it in. One thing that would be nice in Live is more ability to adjust the sizes of windows on the screen--maybe someday you could stretch (or shrink!) the faders. Or just get a knob or fader box, or a bigger monitor :D

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:01 am

Longer Faders

:!:

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:14 pm

i think the x-fader should have more room. after activating it i normally use it with the arrow keys and it only takes 20 steps to go all the way from A to B. the jumps between steps are usually clearly audible.

sam

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:43 am

This guy is being a complete dick.

First of. He is making a pointless argument about "musicians" and "non-musicians" - what the hell is sooooooooooooooooo unmusical about arranging "loops"!!

Treat people like that and you'll get no help and advice.

Oh, and i play piano and perform too, i'm not simply being defensive - just open minded, try it!!

:roll:

3phase

Re: LONGER FADERS!!! Need for musician

Post by 3phase » Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:14 am

moving faders with a mouse sucks anyway...i dont see what gets better with longer faders....
and anyway..live E-musicans usually use laptops...and its pretty girlish to connect a mouse to a lap ;-)

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:50 am

He has a point, I do find them to small myself. in the studio (wher i use Live) I would like the option of longer faders as I dont really use Live in a LIVE sense and change the view so that no clips are viewable. I always use the arrange page and switch back for adjusting levels.I would like that view to simply be the mixer.

I know we cant have everything..

Or at least of they were resizeable perhaps.

Re: LONGER FADERS!!! Need for musician

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:53 pm

3phase wrote:moving faders with a mouse sucks anyway...i dont see what gets better with longer faders....
and anyway..live E-musicans usually use laptops...and its pretty girlish to connect a mouse to a lap ;-)
How many performers using Live NEVER use a mouse--I doubt there is one. COme to my gigs and look at my mouse and call me a girl, then go back to the third grade class you came from before you get detention.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:46 pm

:lol: you should learn to use the trackpad..its freedom...
It needs some time, like learning to play a guitar but basically its worth it.
you can work in airplanes...and on hotelbeds..or just walking around operating your lap (in case you have on with a handle). In jobs i did in the past using a mouse on a laptop was seen as girlish... but if you prefer..lets call it nerdish..ok?