Rack Improvements (Input Selection 4 Multi-Out Inst. Etc)

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
kineticUk

Rack Improvements (Input Selection 4 Multi-Out Inst. Etc)

Post by kineticUk » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:24 am

The ability to tap multi-outputs from a single instrument and assign each seperate output to a chain for Fx. (Each chain :Input Selector, Volume, Pan)
Support for receiving Multiple midi inputs and routing these within the rack using the keyrange. (For handling multi-timbral instruments within the rack)

You have a multi-output instrument (Impulse) inside a rack,
First select output1/bd (Using the selector), insert Fx. Chain I
Next output2/sd, Insert Fx. Chain II
Etc

Once you have tapped the seperate outputs and routed them into their seperate Fx using the rack chains, set the levels and mix for the rack (Volume, Pan for each chain) as you would inside a drum machine. The rack is then a self-contained and very space saving way of creating these types of instruments.
I hope someone understands what I'm getting at, but the possibilities would be massive (For me anyway:).

I hope everyone understands what I mean anyway.

Ableton "please sir more ..." :wink:
Last edited by kineticUk on Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

jamester

Post by jamester » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:31 am

I heartily second this!

In fact, I assumed this could be done, and was disapointed when trying to build my dream drum Rack today. Being able to build an effects chain off of each output of Impulse, all inside a Rack, would be amazingly cool!
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:29 am

This would be amazing!

I hope other people realise what could be done or understand what you are saying.

They'd better recognize.
Drums

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:53 pm

Do ya get me ?
Maybe I need to explain this better (jamester and cryptic get it though)...
We want to be able to use one instrument with multi-outputs.
Instead of loading loads of instruments because you can only use the one output within a rack.

jamester

Post by jamester » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:25 pm

This would also help the fact that we didn't get TRACK FOLDERS in the arrange view. I could have all eight Impulse outputs going to effects chains, all self-contained in the Rack without having to have NINE seperate tracks in the arrange view. right?
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:35 pm

jamester wrote:This would also help the fact that we didn't get TRACK FOLDERS in the arrange view. I could have all eight Impulse outputs going to effects chains, all self-contained in the Rack without having to have NINE seperate tracks in the arrange view. right?
Exactly ... :)

Ball Sack

Post by Ball Sack » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:32 pm

This is a great idea.

+1

paradiddle

Post by paradiddle » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:06 pm

yes this sounds really good.

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:35 am

The other example where racks seem limited (I think), is with regards to multi-timbral Instruments (Kontakt2).
I would like to exploit all the features of these plugins within the rack.
That means multiple outputs (discussed above), plus the ability to use only one instance with multi-timbral action fully supported within the rack.
For now forget multiple sim/amplers for creating racks of sounds and lets use one kontakt2, load our samples into it assigning them midi 1,2,3,etc inside k2's interface. Next I'll map these sounds to the keyrange of the rack, so that the sounds cover the whole keyboard and different zones=different k2 midi channels.
(Eg Octave1=midi 1=dirtybass, Octave3=midi3=pianokeys etc)
The idea would be to contain these multi-timbral instruments (k2 just an example), and treat their multi-outs to the same routing as we discussed above, while getting rid of the usual 8-16 midi tracks that would be cluttering up our live set, if k2 was used in a regular midi track.
(Like with the contained instruments outs, but containing+routing the midi to multiple k2 channels for control).
Damn this is hard to explain (But the ideas simple really), still with me ?
Probably not...ok (I tried)
d.

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:21 pm

Cool as Fuc* Fuc*ers (who cannot see me cause I am invisible 8O and ignore anything I say in their "too cool 4 me" threads...yes it fuc*in' bothers me btw) are fillin up pages and pages for track groups.
We want impulse's and all other multiout instruments, to have their multiouts active and all grouped within a single track...
You see having a rack with support for tapping multiouts would be a very good thing? Very similar to track folders (See jamesters reply)?
If you can then reply to this (Otherwise sorry to hear that you are blind, oops...no its me I forgot to turn my invisibility off :wink: )

Don't be a bum bandit or an Ignoranasaur, be a fuc*in' m8...support multi-out enabled racks please (Racks need your help and just one reply a month can help set racks free)

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:28 pm

I already added multiple request in that direction, also the possibility to have a send module with return outside the rack, or return chains.

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:22 am

Silicon/Silicium you can post a link to your thread here if you like, its on topic.
d.

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:16 am

Bump up the jam, bump it up...come on rack headz :wink:

forge

Post by forge » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:49 pm

sounds sensible to me