ghost / alias / linked clips

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
danger

Re: ghost / alias / linked clips

Post by danger » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:36 pm

well said, also when a ghost is selected in the arrangement view it should select the parent in the session.

highly needed!

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:09 am

Yes.
Life is Good

ap2

Post by ap2 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:51 am

+1

opuswerk

Post by opuswerk » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:52 am

+1
that would really improve live's arrangement workflow and would also improve session view imo. At first glance it seems feasible to me, but i only tinker with code so I will say I really hope it's possible :D
Forthcoming:
[AR02] 1883 EP (wax)
[CSF027] Mamacass EP (wax)

Opusspace
Opuscloud

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:41 pm

The original post is from 8 years ago. :(

pcf

Post by pcf » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:23 am

And Cubase has had this function for over 20 years, if I remember correctly. :)

Jdudeo

Post by Jdudeo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:46 pm

Hi all,

I've made a Max for Live device that offers a workaround for achieving alias clip functionality in Ableton, check it out and let me know what you think:

http://jgarcia.hungry.jp/project/alias-clips/

(Disclaimer for the starving artists: it's $10 USD)

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:41 am

Nice! I just purchased it, and it's working really nicely. Not as good as a native implementation of course, but still good enough to use. I would suggest updating the demonstration video's audio though, as the treble is really sharp.

Seeing as you're able to keep track of MIDI clips on different tracks, do you think it would be possible to create a simple "Transpose Selected MIDI Clips" device?

Jdudeo

Post by Jdudeo » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:00 am

Thanks for the feedback!
Idonotlikebroccoli wrote:Seeing as you're able to keep track of MIDI clips on different tracks, do you think it would be possible to create a simple "Transpose Selected MIDI Clips" device?
It's possible to a degree but Max for Live can't recognize more than one selected clip at once, so it would have to be a system of doing them one by one or adding them to a group like Alias Clips and then transposing them in rapid succession

uniphonic

Post by uniphonic » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:31 am

I'd like to see ghost / alias / linked clips in Live as well! I'm amazed that it's been so long and they haven't implemented it yet, seeing as Logic and Cubase had this ages ago...

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:12 am

I just had an idea how this could be implemented IMO quite elegantly. Basically similar to the way 'groove' works, where you have a pool of clips that you can reference throughout your project.Within each clip there would be a 'Source' field where you can pick the source clip, or simply drag from the pool onto the existing clip or onto empty space in the arrangement. To make a clip unique, you can 'commit' just like you can commit groove. To add a clip to the pool, you simply drag and drop from the arrangement. To edit a clip already in the pool, you would select it in the pool or in the arrangement. Pooled clips can also be used in clip launch view. Only clips you drag onto the pool are available as clip sources. To un-link a clip from a pooled source clip, you simply commit it or select a different source, or select a special source called '(none)' from the Source picker. If a clip that's not linked to a pooled clip contains some notes, and later it's source is changed from '(none)' to a pooled clip, and then back to '(none)', the original notes are restored.

marcora

Post by marcora » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:51 pm

+1000!!! What about also having an Arranger Track/Blocks system as in Studio One and Reason, so that songs could be arranged by adding/moving/deleting Scenes in Arrangement View that are linked to the Session View (similar to NI Maschine for example) and additional arrangement tracks can be added for transitions, fx, and other elements not in Session View. When a clip is changed in a Scene in Session View then that clip also changes whenever that Scene is used in Arrangement View! Super fast workflow