ghost / alias / linked clips

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Alexis Forge

Post by Alexis Forge » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:35 am

nuperspective wrote:
forge wrote:
barstu wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, not sure. My problems when I update a clip in the session view I'd like all places it exists in the arrangement to be updated too.
that's what I want
and vice versa. if you dont want that as core functionality at least have it as a check box option in the prefs 'clip edit takeover' anybody?
I envisage it working more like the master/slave thing on a per-clip basis

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:29 am

Alexis Forge wrote:
nuperspective wrote:
forge wrote: that's what I want
and vice versa. if you dont want that as core functionality at least have it as a check box option in the prefs 'clip edit takeover' anybody?
I envisage it working more like the master/slave thing on a per-clip basis
cool. i like that idea. you could have something on the clip settings box that way.

geo

Post by geo » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:04 am

Personally, I would prefer to see changes like that than the introduction fo Sampler and video support for instance...

reax

Post by reax » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:56 am

Was about to post my own request for this, but figured I'd just bump this old one instead.

Ever since Live introduced MIDI, I'd download the latest demo with each update to see if they finally introduced alias clips. And each time I was disappointed and decided to pass on the program.

Finally, with version 6, the awesomeness quotient rose so high I couldn't resist not buying the program anymore. So I'm a happy Live user now, but still constantly wish I had alias clips to work with.

It's by far the most frustrating omission in the program. It makes me paranoid to separate clips in the arrange view, and if I do, it makes me too leery to make any tweaks, since I know I'll have to go update a bunch of clips again.

Please Abes. Programming wise, its a piece of cake (references to an object instead of copies of an object). The only tough part is the UI implementation. And I don't see anything wrong with copying the usual paradigm of just making the alias copies slightly grayed out, or sticking a "+" on the corner.

mortenperriard

Post by mortenperriard » Thu May 24, 2007 5:56 pm

This feature is a must... Here is my vote.

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Fri May 25, 2007 11:20 am

yes please, this is a must.
This + wacom support + folder tracks in Live 7 would make me extremely happy :)

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:23 am

im on a bump frenzy as this is a must

pat the dog

Post by pat the dog » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:46 pm

so is there any sign of alias clips in live 7?

forge

Post by forge » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:49 am

pat the dog wrote:so is there any sign of alias clips in live 7?
nope :(

glenc

Post by glenc » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:32 am

If you want to see this feature done right, look at how Cubase does it:

ALT + drag: create unique copy
ALT + SHIFT + drag: create linked copy
CTRL + R (my keybinding): unlink an existing linked copy

Super fast editing and caters to all the different situations listed here. Anyone who has worked like this will find working without it a freaking nightmare, and consider any DAW that doesn't provide it a bit of a toy.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE put this in Live 7. There are so many unbelievable features in Live now that no other DAW has ... the level of integration for param tweaking and the new Drum Patch thing look incredible. Please give us this feature so we can look at serious arrangement tasks in Live.

forge

Post by forge » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:48 am

glenc wrote: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE put this in Live 7.
you mean Live 8?

brunob

Post by brunob » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:15 am

I think this feature makes sense, I had a few instances where I would use it. Maybe it could simply be a different mode selected when recording the arrangement...

ap2

Post by ap2 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:46 pm

glenc wrote: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE put this in Live 7.
+ 1

hostilefork

Post by hostilefork » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:45 pm

reax wrote:Ever since Live introduced MIDI, I'd download the latest demo with each update to see if they finally introduced alias clips. And each time I was disappointed and decided to pass on the program.
I was amazed at first by the demo, but I've been making an effort to put together a whole song and see what snags I hit. This is THE snag. How could an otherwise nearly flawless program be missing something so fundamental, and after so many versions? I don't think I'd be able to stand using Ableton for sequencing work until this feature is added...

The fact that I can't break open the code and add this feature right now is frustrating, and it reminds me of this bit from Richard Stallman's essay on Why Software Should Be Free:
richardstallman wrote:Imagine what it would be like if recipes were hoarded in the same fashion as software. You might say, "How do I change this recipe to take out the salt?" and the great chef would respond, "How dare you insult my recipe, the child of my brain and my palate, by trying to tamper with it? You don't have the judgment to change my recipe and make it work right!"

"But my doctor says I'm not supposed to eat salt! What can I do? Will you take out the salt for me?"

"I would be glad to do that; my fee is only $50,000." Since the owner has a monopoly on changes, the fee tends to be large. "However, right now I don't have time. I am busy with a commission to design a new recipe for ship's biscuit for the Navy Department. I might get around to you in about two years."
So I suggest the whole world chip in and buy Ableton Inc, and then open-source Live. I'll pledge the purchase price of 5 copies of Ableton to such an effort... anyone with me? No? Sigh.

--
hostilefork.com

mortenperriard

Post by mortenperriard » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:25 pm

+1

For me, ghost clips is the single most wanted/missing feature in Live.