recording automation to clips

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Rosko

Post by Rosko » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:40 pm

+1 most important feature

Alien Leg

Post by Alien Leg » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:21 pm

+ another one!!!
Win XP Pro SP3, Live 7
Q9450@3.2Ghz, 4 GB RAM,
BCF2000, M-Audio Audiophile 2496, Mindprint TRIO

Simon Waters

Post by Simon Waters » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:56 pm

+1

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:31 am

+1 ESSENTIAL

m:o

Post by m:o » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:51 am

Definately a must have feature!!!

+1

the girl next door

Post by the girl next door » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:12 pm

Hi all,
I'm new to Live..
I gave up reading (lazy) after about the 2nd page so not sure if this has been mentioned..
I also would love automation to session view..
Maybe if in Session view you have two options of Viewing session View..The normal way and a Linear session view basically the session view turned 90 degrees anti clockwise but can be used exactly the same way,but the clips would also be linear and when you clicked your next clip in your track the automation would be carried from the clip after the last one that was played so you would have a smooth transition to the clip next activated..
So if clip 1 was playing and you clicked clip 5 the automation from clip 2 would be carried to clip 5..(but this would be an optional setting)
Also in a Linear type Session view you could arm/write automation just like arrangement view...
I am new to Live so go easy on me if this is a silly idea !!

cr8fish

Post by cr8fish » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:02 pm

+1

This is a critical feature.

Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:01 pm

Like a turd that refuses to flush.

salanimi

Post by salanimi » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:02 am

+1

this is really important feature!

kb420

Post by kb420 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:14 pm

+1 here. It's a must have feature for sure. I would like it to be a parameter that you can toggle on or off so that if people like the current configuration, they still have the ablility to use it in that fashion.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:56 pm

Bump - Please don't forget Abletons!
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

akust

Post by akust » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:52 pm

It seems I didn't search carefully enough.
i just wrote an extra thread...
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63351

sorry ...and nice that I'm not alone!
+1

jwhiting

Post by jwhiting » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:57 am

I think Live has the opportunity here to get something right that no other sequencer I've used has done, which is to actually solve the problem of multiple control envelopes overlapping at the same time for the same target.

An envelope is just a curve between a minimum and maximum. I think each envelope should have a few options to determine how this curve interacts with others:

- floor value
- ceiling value
- interaction type, which is either "add", "multiply", or "replace"

Multiple envelopes set to "replace" would have to have some arbitrary means for establishing which envelope wins, though presumably a user would not reasonably expect two envelopes set to "replace" to interact meaningfully at the same time.

As for displaying these in the arrange view, I think this is a matter of providing an overlay of curves: original curves and final cumulative result. Originals are editable via click/drag/etc, final result is not. If a clip envelope is set to "replace," the session automation is simply not not displayed/editable for the duration of that clip's existence. Presumably some little GUI hint also would indicate what's going on.

As for recording arbitrary midi control envelopes into clips, this should work just like recording the other midi data (notes, modulation, etc). The default envelope type for recording this way should be "replace" while the default type for adding a new envelope via GUI drawing should be "multiply" for regular pots and "add" for bipolar pots.

If someone knows a sequencer that has really gotten this right, shout out, so we can go look at what it's doing.

Although it's pretty late and I can't claim total sanity, as a software engineer I understand the difficulty in problems like this espcially when the codebase is already architected to do something else. The unfortunate aspect of my proposal is that it means decoupling midi control data from its target (the VST pot, the external output etc) and introducing an abstraction layer that enables multiple control curves to "sum up" to the ultimate target. No small task there, but this feels like "the right thing to do" to me.

How else will midi control curves bridge the arrange/session duality, which is so core to Live's success as a creative sequencing tool?

Anyway, big kudos to Ableton for everything they've acheived with this remarkable application.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:54 am

+1 for all this stuff.

Somehow I missed this thread

I'm slipping, obviously

Josh Von

Post by Josh Von » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:29 pm

Somewhere back there mentioned this, can't find it right now ....

However ..

What would prevent a "Record Session Clip Automation" mode (OFF/ONfor the record functionality

Does the following:

- shuts down recording to arrangement (ie. disables it)

- funnels all incoming automation data to the Clip envelopes of selected clip

- allows you to keep recording / overdubbing etc on the same clip until you are finished

- allows you to subsequently click on any other clips while in RSCA mode and record thier automation.

On switching back to "Normal" (OFF), you are left with some nicely automated clips to do what you like with - edit automation further manually - leave it running live - or bounce it down to audio

What would prevent this?

Recording to the clips in session is essential for free sound design, this is why so many people are asking for it imo.