recording automation to clips

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
aMUSEd

Post by aMUSEd » Sun May 27, 2007 4:24 pm

Kodama wrote:Basically, I guess Ableton thought that we would only be recording audio and midi notes in our "Sessions", then have them mixed down, arranged & automated later.

The flaw with this is that for many of us, the recorded automation is as (or more) important than the notes themselves and are integral with the initial creative effort, rather than only a finalizing step.
Exactly. Moving filter knobs, XY's, sliders etc is as much a part of the Live performance as playing the notes - not something added on later. I too bought Live assuming it could do this - that it would capture everything I played Live. After all so many of the effects etc even have nice XY controllers just waiting to be tweaked while playing. So frustrating that you can't do this in the open, non linear space of the session view but only in the closed linear space of the arrange view.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun May 27, 2007 5:50 pm

One I encounter everyday isusing a controller pedal assigned to a rack-macro dial for 'wah' or whatever.

it's useless. I can play whatever notes i want, but Live won't record the performance. It just records the notes, but not the articulation of the pedal.

stupid.

Per Boysen

Drawing Clip Envelopes broken in 6.0.7?

Post by Per Boysen » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:37 am

A somewhat related question:

Is the function of drawing Clip Envelopes for automating the effect send knobs broken in 6.0.7?

I used this function successfully with Live 5 back in 2003 but now it seems to not work any more. Is this a documented bug?

EDIT:

Please don't bother. I just found out that I had forgotten that you need to open up the send knobs in order to have the clip envelopes "open them up" for the set level. Working fine now.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:44 am

I still don't want to...

bounce

forge

Post by forge » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:40 am

this whole issue usually turns my brain to mud because what seems simple is apparently not

correct me if I missed something, but I'm not sure we need any extra modes in preferences or anything at all - just another option in the clip envelope section 'absolute' - like an extra drop down menu

basically, at present clips in the arrange view are completely different clips to those in session - once they are recorded into arrange they become new clips (although I've often requested an option to bypass this and use 'alias' clips..but that's another issue)

so I dont really see why there is any confusion over it at all as to which one to use - if you trigger the clip and it contains 'absolute' automation then the back to arrangement button turns red and you hear the session clip and its automation, then if you hit the global record button it records the session 'absolute'automation over the current arrange automation - this is exactly how it works for clips now

and if you start tweaking a midi knob then that also invokes the BTA button to turn red unless you record it - as it does now

1. clip is red (record armed) - it records the automation to the clip
2. global record button enabled but clip not record armed - only records to arrange
3. global record button enabled and clip record armed - both get recorded

if this requires a big rewrite then in the meantime some IAC/MIDI yoke style internal routing might be a good temporary compromise

as for the issue of envelopes that are longer than the clip - why doesnt is just play for as long as the clip does? so if only a bar of that clip is played then only a bar of the automation is played? so if you copy/paste the whole clip to arrange then the clip is as long as the automation

I really cant help thinking I am missing something crucial here because it seems very simple how it should be implemented

abletonian

Post by abletonian » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:29 am

hell yeah

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:09 am

+1 for switch between relative/absolute.

-M

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:30 am

All 5+ page topics in the feature wishlist forum should be implemented imo

edit: ah what the heck: all 3+ page topics

Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:14 pm

forge wrote:if this requires a big rewrite then in the meantime some IAC/MIDI yoke style internal routing might be a good temporary compromise

as for the issue of envelopes that are longer than the clip - why doesnt is just play for as long as the clip does? so if only a bar of that clip is played then only a bar of the automation is played? so if you copy/paste the whole clip to arrange then the clip is as long as the automation

I really cant help thinking I am missing something crucial here because it seems very simple how it should be implemented
The L7 announcement is taking it's time,I,m hoping a big rewrite has already started.

If record automation to session and some sort of track/folder/group solution is not put into L7 I will break my 3 year upgrade habit and give it a miss.

These two shortfalls are making my sets a mess to deal with,having dozens of tracks/midi yoke routings(the workarounds) and loosing undo doesn't make for a smooth workflow. live just looses it's agility which was one of its initial advantages.

Fingers crossed xx

Soma

Post by Soma » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:27 pm

Yeah. +1 again.
Any rumors about Ableton at Summer NAMM? (Or did that already happen?)

forge

Post by forge » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:58 am

Soma wrote:Yeah. +1 again.
Any rumors about Ableton at Summer NAMM? (Or did that already happen?)
NAMM is next weekend

it's been a tradition this far, but maybe they'll break with it this year?? 8O

not long now

Soma

Post by Soma » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:35 pm

What has been a tradition th is far?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:43 pm

Soma wrote:What has been a tradition this far?

The release has failed this year, so they need a sacrifice.

cabletone

Post by cabletone » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:36 pm

+1

pat the dog

Post by pat the dog » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:40 pm

so, any news on this feature making it into live 7?