Disable Warp, please

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
deBoo

I Agree

Post by deBoo » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:26 pm

I do find that you can't just be "unwarped" very annoying and would love to see that as an option in the prefs.

GUY SMILEY

Re:

Post by GUY SMILEY » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:25 am

mdb wrote:Why the hell it needs to warp a recorded track is beyond me. If its being recorded, its already in the right bpm so warping it does nothing but make it sound worse then when you recorded it.

I understand the need for warp when importing something to your song, but not right after i recorded something. Thats just silly..
Yes is is. Ridiculous

Stromkraft

Re: Re:

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:16 am

GUY SMILEY wrote:
mdb wrote:Why the hell it needs to warp a recorded track is beyond me. If its being recorded, its already in the right bpm so warping it does nothing but make it sound worse then when you recorded it.

I understand the need for warp when importing something to your song, but not right after i recorded something. Thats just silly..
Yes is is. Ridiculous
But it doesn't sound worse at all. All that is just in the head. Unless you change the tempo.

BTW, the post you commented was made in 2007. That's 10 years ago!
Make some music!

Tarekith

Re: Disable Warp, please

Post by Tarekith » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:30 am

Complex and Complex Pro can still alter the audio, even at the original tempo.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

bicho

Post by bicho » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:17 am

I am trying to use Live to mix two audio tracks from an audiovisual recording and I am unable to do it because of this

It is impossible to do this kind of job if the warp function can't be completely disabled. Even if both tracks were warped exactly the same, the length would change and the result would not match when I sync the audio back with the video

Tell me I don't have to download Reaper only to do this!

bicho

Post by bicho » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:26 am

bicho wrote:I am trying to use Live to mix two audio tracks from an audiovisual recording and I am unable to do it because of this

It is impossible to do this kind of job if the warp function can't be completely disabled. Even if both tracks were warped exactly the same, the length would change and the result would not match when I sync the audio back with the video

Tell me I don't have to download Reaper only to do this!
Well, it seems that by turning it off in the Preferences I can do this after all... :oops:

San The Artist

Post by San The Artist » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:52 am

Agreed, please add an option.

Actually it does have an effect even if you don't change anything. Not 100% of the times but it happens. Specially with vocals, you can hear small glitches sometimes.

The worse for me is when I already processed my vocals by Melodyne, detect the glitch and it comes from the automatic Warp which I forgot to turn off when I recorded so I got to do all the Melodyne work again.

So yeah

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:29 pm

The option exists in preferences. And it should be obvious why it is the default if you think in terms of live performance.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:39 pm

San The Artist wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:52 am
Agreed, please add an option.

Actually it does have an effect even if you don't change anything. Not 100% of the times but it happens. Specially with vocals, you can hear small glitches sometimes.

The worse for me is when I already processed my vocals by Melodyne, detect the glitch and it comes from the automatic Warp which I forgot to turn off when I recorded so I got to do all the Melodyne work again.

So yeah
This might be a bug then.

This should be reproducible by doing a null test.

A warped track vs an unwarped track at the same project tempo should null out. I always wonder what would happen if Live guesses the wrong tempo, I've seen that happen before.

I don't think I have ever noticed anything with Live though (leaving warphing on).

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:17 pm

You can also set short recordings to Unwarped one-shots.

83db

Post by 83db » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:23 pm

Sorry to dredge up an oldie, but I found this thread when searching.

I frequently record numerous tracks simultaneously (5 drum mics, bass, two guitars, occasionally vocals), so there are sometimes 8 or 9 armed tracks. We will play to a click sometimes but not always (genre dependent).

It is annoying to manually disarm warp for every track every time we record. I'm on Live 10...any was to disable this default on 10 or 11? I've disabled everything related to warping in the preference menu.

[art]

Post by [art] » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:45 am

+1

What gives?

Here I was changing every cable in my studio wondering why the recording sounded shit then realizing every track defaults to warp on

facepalm

makes me want to move over to pro tools for tasks like this

MallorcaMalle

Post by MallorcaMalle » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:24 pm

why facepalm?... Maybe we should consider that Ableton Live is coming from the Berlin Techno world and is maybe a one of the best DAWs for electronic music production, and looping and warping is a key feature of this software... If I where recording a rock song with a band I would prefer taking Pro Tools, Cubase, ... I know with the recent updates like comping Live gets features of the classic daws, and people ARE using it for band recording... but anyway i.m.o. it's main strength is putting together, editing and arranging electronic beats very fast... however a working preference to turn warping off by default wouldn't hurt for vocal recording etc.

thunderjaw

Post by thunderjaw » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:20 pm

Has anyone found a solution to this? I just want to live record, and everytime I need to cut/move a track (for example; if I record a track, but want to remove a few seconds from the beginning of the track, and then "slide" the track back to the beginning, it changes the tempo in the middle of the track).

Can someone tell me how to avoid this?

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:28 am

I’d go along with the option.