Looping without warping

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
The Mysterious Flying Pum

Looping without warping

Post by The Mysterious Flying Pum » Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:39 pm

Hi,
It could be useful to loop a clip without having to activate the warp functionality. That would allow to loop a clip in its original tempo without consideration to the master tempo. Could be interesting for some efects or special clips...

bitmap

Looping without warping

Post by bitmap » Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:09 pm

this would be great.
I would love to see this in the next update to LIVE. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult for them to do. it would be great to be able to use it to make some wonderful Steve Reich-ish phasing loops that fall in and out of sync. Please Abletons... how about a little new year gift?
~bmp

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:24 am

and not to forget that not having to warp a loop retains the original audio quality. Im still amazed this feature isnt included actually.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:28 pm

Yes

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:03 pm

Has my vote.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:39 pm

I too second this of all my heart ;-)

I use to play a lot with two midi clock synced hardware looping devices and then I'm doing exactly what this thread is about. By changing the master device's timing reference for midi clock output I can bring the slaved device into another, mathematically related, tempo. It's so cool ;-)

Here are some related suggestions to the Abletons:

1. The "Warp divider" is now only possible to set to deviders of "2". Get some more option into it. I like also having access to running different loops by the realtions 3/4, 5/4, 7/8. (we're talking warp deviders here - not global tempo settings)

2. Please make all sample/Clip parameters controllable over external midi!

3. Overdub, sound-on-sound, layering sound into the same looping clip. Data recalculated on each round according to a feedback setting (like the feedback on a delay unit).

These things would just make Live invincible!
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

P King

Post by P King » Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:49 pm

yes please!!!

GRUFF

Post by GRUFF » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:10 am

yes!!! yess!!! yessss! :D

the fact that this is not implimented yet is the reason that i do not use Live as my main audio sequencer.

Live is wicked for doing live and improvised stuff.. but i have never seriously concidered using it to write standalone tracks with becuase of the fact that my sound quality will be degraded.

if there is an option to loop clips without warping (maybe even just when the bpm of the clip matches the global bpm... i dont care) this problem would be solved, and i would feel good about using Live for much much more things than i currently do.

espedif

Post by espedif » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:42 pm

set clip-original-tempo to song tempo...
use warp-modus ´repitch'...
now you can loop ...

can u hear a degredation in quality like this??

i agree though that looping for non-warped clips would be nice!

Roland Espedif

brasco1234

This is a must...

Post by brasco1234 » Sat May 08, 2004 11:08 pm

I would love to see looping without warping in Live. This has nothing to do with sound quality, only with the freedom of not having things stuck to a timing grid. Loops can swell up and over each other and you get a lot of happy accidents. I can do this with a sampler and some clever MIDI messages but it would be so much better in Live. Please please please.

aviavi

Post by aviavi » Fri May 21, 2004 1:49 pm

Amen to all the above. I've wanted this feature from day one.

Avi

DirtySkillet

Post by DirtySkillet » Tue May 25, 2004 3:33 pm

that would be a HUGE improvement!!!

genome

looping without warping

Post by genome » Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:36 pm

:? Does anybody new if "looping without warping" will be available in Live 4? I'm fairly new to this, spent some time with Live 3 demo and would be very happy to buy in if it's going to happen! Seems to me pretty crucial to be able to loop at original pitch independent of tempo - I for one don't like to be locked to 4/4 - especially with the inevitable degradation (however one adjusts it) !! It seems crazy that the Ableton's have locked this out - please give me good news!

gen0me

Post by The Mysterious Flying Pum » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:44 am

espedif wrote:set clip-original-tempo to song tempo...
use warp-modus ´repitch'...
now you can loop ...

can u hear a degredation in quality like this??

i agree though that looping for non-warped clips would be nice!

Roland Espedif
Thanks Espedif for the workaround :-)
... but it doesn't prevent Ableton to make an effort and give us loops without warping!!!

Cheers.