Overlaying two MIDI clips

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
Poster

Overlaying two MIDI clips

Post by Poster » Fri May 04, 2007 8:28 pm

It would be very useful to be able to overlay 2 clips..

For creating scales, programming beats and such..

Maybe it could be an option to copy notes and then paste them as ghost notes in a 2nd layer?

Or drag/copy one clip onto another while holding down a modifier key?

I heard Logic has such a feature, don't know how though..

Would be great..

ground_control

Post by ground_control » Sat May 05, 2007 1:37 am

I would really love to just be able to copy midi data from one clip to another. I find myself wanting to do this all the time, mostly when editing drums.

For example, copying just the hats from a clip into another clip with a different kick snare pattern.

So +1.

J

Poster

Post by Poster » Sat May 05, 2007 1:41 am

:? copy/paste notes from clip to clip is possible..

marra

Re: Overlaying two MIDI clips

Post by marra » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:44 am

bump!!

would make quantizing across multiple tracks a lot easier..

Richie Witch

Re:

Post by Richie Witch » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:47 am

ground_control wrote:I would really love to just be able to copy midi data from one clip to another. I find myself wanting to do this all the time, mostly when editing drums.

For example, copying just the hats from a clip into another clip with a different kick snare pattern.

So +1.

J
This can already be done....

In the original MIDI clip, click on the piano button associated with that drum sound. This selects all the hits on that note. Press Ctrl+C

In the destination MIDI clip, click on the piano button associated with that drum sound. Press Ctrl+V, which copies the pattern to the new clip.

If the same drum sound is on different MIDI notes in the two clips, you can use the up/down arrows to move all the drum hits as a group to the desired note.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Stromkraft

Re: Re:

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:20 pm

Richie Witch wrote:
In the original MIDI clip, click on the piano button associated with that drum sound. This selects all the hits on that note. Press Ctrl+C

In the destination MIDI clip, click on the piano button associated with that drum sound. Press Ctrl+V, which copies the pattern to the new clip.
Well, the clip row will not start at the exact same time once pasted unless you take care to really place it at the exact same time yourself.
I usually add a muted note at 1.1.1 to avoid timing distortion. I really think the default should be to paste into the exact same time as the clip being copied from, unless I hold down a modifier key or something.
Make some music!