Selecting multiple clips - huh?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
accoy

Re: Selecting multiple clips - huh?

Post by accoy » Tue May 04, 2021 6:08 pm

This is SOOOOO UNBELIEVABLY STUPID. I spend hours trying to figure out what is wrong and i find out that the Ableton designers are just sadistic mofo's sucking the life out of us! FIX THIS!!!!! We are in 2021 and people are asking for this primitive function since 2007. For God's ache!!!!!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue May 04, 2021 6:39 pm

Could you clarify a bit about what it is you don't like? Just a rant doesn't really help get your point across.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

accoy

Post by accoy » Tue May 04, 2021 6:51 pm

Forgive my language in the previous post, i didn't mean to offend you or anyone...i am just soooo frustrated!

When you have multiple slices of a clip (audio or midi) and you want to select some of them, for instance the 1st and the 5th slice, you cannot do so because using ctrl+click is the same as using shift+click, it just selects everything in between. Have you noticed it?

ozinga

Post by ozinga » Tue May 04, 2021 8:28 pm

Wow 14 years and counting :)

accoy

Post by accoy » Tue May 04, 2021 8:50 pm

Exactly!!! This is probably the WORST "bug" in the history of all software! And indeed the WORST support by a technical team!

Scoox

Re:

Post by Scoox » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:01 pm

Goran@Irrupt wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:58 pm
Every day i pray that this will be changed in the next version of Live.
Didn't pray hard enough.

I also think the way Ableton have implemented this is very unhelpful.
Last edited by Scoox on Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

accoy

Post by accoy » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:08 am

Tarekith wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:39 pm
Could you clarify a bit about what it is you don't like? Just a rant doesn't really help get your point across.
I have already replied more than a month ago to you Tarekith and still nothing from you! Do you only reply when you get offended or is it that you people don't care about the users at all? I'd like to know!

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:12 am

Tarekith wrote:
Did you actually read the OP?? It's crystal clear. It seems this is obvious to everyone except Ableton...

accoy

Post by accoy » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:24 am

[/quote]

Did you actually read the OP?? It's crystal clear. It seems this is obvious to everyone except Ableton...
[/quote]

Yeah..silly me! It goes to show you how much I want this simple outdated thing though! :-D

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:00 am

I suppose someone should mention that this is about non-contiguous clips. It would be nice if Ableton would follow standard usage of shift and CTRL/cmd.

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:03 am

jonljacobi wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:00 am
I suppose someone should mention that this is about non-contiguous clips. It would be nice if Ableton would follow standard usage of shift and CTRL/cmd.
I contacted support about this a while back because they got Ctrl and Shift the wrong way round in the piano roll. After a lot of email back-and-forth they still couldn't see it and insisted it was correctly implemented. You can check this yourself, in the PR Shift selects non-contiguous and Ctrl does nothing. Not meaning to be condescending but the fact that 99.99% of users don't report things like these is no excuse. If anything, it shows most people either lack attention to detail or are too lazy to report issues.
Last edited by Scoox on Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

accoy

Post by accoy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:27 am

Scoox wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:03 am
jonljacobi wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:00 am
I contacted support about this a while back because in the piano roll they they got Ctrl and Shift the wrong way round. After a lot of email back-and-forth they still couldn't see it and insisted it was correctly implemented. You can check this yourself, in the PR Shift selects non-contiguous and Ctrl does nothing. Not meaning to be condescending but the fact that 99.99% of users don't report things like these is no excuse. If anything, it shows most people either lack attention to detail or are too lazy to report issues.
Well said! But it seems Ableton don't give a rat's ass about the remaining percentage. I'm not surprised they insisted to be right though. After all Germans are infamous for their stubbornness. And I guess they are sadistic as well if i were to judge from this post! Also, why the heck don't they add more colors for the "Collections" feature? Everyone i know wants more categories! Why everything has to be so damn difficult to them Ableton people only? Thats why Reaper and Logic are wining over customers, including myself!

MuddyPawprints

Post by MuddyPawprints » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:53 am

Hi,

I might have figured out a solution. You must reverse the process. First, select the clips you want to move and than deselect the clips you don't want to move with "cmd" + click ("ctrl" on windows?).

Hope this will cue the frustrations))

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:30 am

MuddyPawprints wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:53 am
Hi,

I might have figured out a solution. You must reverse the process. First, select the clips you want to move and than deselect the clips you don't want to move with "cmd" + click ("ctrl" on windows?).

Hope this will cue the frustrations))
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think that works, sorry.

sckbtz

Post by sckbtz » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:49 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Maybe I can have a go, too, in case it is still not clear: there are 10 separate clips in a track. How do we select clips 1, 4 and 8, but not the clips 2, 3, 5, 6 and 7?

I'm in the 90-day trial version and this is one of the things that make me want to cancel the trial. I posted 4 or 5 other things that are hard to understand how live cannot have this implemented... Like a simple skip forward button. Every Walkman had this, but not the most advanced audio editing platform in 2022. Or a play cursor that stays where it was after I move a clip. Incredibly annoying to the point that it's unusable.

I can understand there are hundreds of other features that ableton thinks are more important. But this one is at a very simple high level where most users will find it annoying at some point.

Or maybe we should put it in a bug thread?