LATENCY COMPENSATION!!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:47 pm

spookydirt wrote:are you all talking about plug-in delay compensation?
Well, I took that for given. Since hardware latency can not be dealt with by software.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:49 pm

heres a tip,

if u smoke some weed the latency goes away!

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:04 pm

Yeah, and if you drink wine the treble goes away ;-) -->BASS!!!!
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:49 pm

sweetjesus wrote:heres a tip,

if u smoke some weed the latency goes away!
DUDE, you don't know the half of it.

That stuff kills your sense of timing. I had an aquaintance who smoked a lot and was a Live PA. He used all hardware mostly, but notably a pair of Roland SP-808s. HIS LOOPS NEVER were cut right. I used to think it was his hardware, but there was often (like 30% of the time) a few milliseconds of timing off on the loop point, usually too long, sometimes too short.

Then he bought a computer (a Mac G4). He started cutting his loops on the mac and re-recording them to the SP-808s. No difference, loops still sucked. He quit the green and soon noticed the probs himself.

Not that I have anything wrong with the stuff, but it DOES affect your precision.

L8er
Montrealbreaks

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

quandry

Post by quandry » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:01 am

Montreal, give us a break! I have totally dug every post of yours I've read til this one. Marijuana effects everyone in a different way--some people get quiet, some talkative, some get sleepy, some get energetic. Not to mention that there are two main types of marijuana, indica and sativa, each of which are very different. Goes without saying that there are nearly as many types of pot as there are people, with major differences in quality. Bottom line, watch out making those generalizations!

Louis Armstrong, one of the founding fathers of Jazz, who wrote and charted many standards, proudly smoked marijuana every day, in large quantities. Feel free to listen to any of his stuff and say his timing or phrasing sucks (it doesn't). There are countless other jazz greats who play high on pot all the time--this is not to condone anything--Bird and Miles were high on herion when playing many a time, I'm not saying that anyone should do that. But nonetheless, they sounded great. I play high oretty much every time, as do most of my bandmates in 4 different bands. One drummer I play with is (and always has been) straight as an arrow, and has NO problem with the other 3 of us smoking, he even agrees that he likes my bass grooves better when I'm high. I'll shut up now, but marijuana effects everyone differently, and to say that one can't play music well high is totally laughable. Odds are very high that the musicians at many good concerts you've seen are high on marijuana. For some people, it makes them more relaxed and focused on the music, rather then self-conscious on stage and worried about the crowd. ymmv, imho, etc. Obviously, the latency/weed comment was a joke, and I know you're just sharing your weed/music experience, so I'm sharing the other side of the coin, from someone who's played in many a band over the years.

Ryan

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:31 pm

quandry wrote:Montreal, give us a break! I have totally dug every post of yours I've read til this one. Marijuana effects everyone in a different way--

. ymmv, imho, etc. Obviously, the latency/weed comment was a joke, and I know you're just sharing your weed/music experience, so I'm sharing the other side of the coin, from someone who's played in many a band over the years.

Ryan
Yah, I getcha Ryan. Not a smoker myself, and I was wrong to generalize. You're right, there's a LOT of budz of mine (pun intended) who smoke and make badass wicked music. My amigo in the story was only one example. I guess I should have related the anectdote without the generalizations...

Pobody's Nerfect.

8)

L8er
Montrealbreaks

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:27 pm

its all good, canadians do it right up thur in bc fo sheezy. To be sure there are dudes I've played in bands with who the group has banned from smokin 'cause it throws off their time (mainly drummers). everyone different, I'm reminded of that everytime I check out these forums--its amazing how many ways people are using Live!

Ryan