Support for Polyphonic Aftertouch

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
groumpf

Re: Support for Polyphonic Aftertouch

Post by groumpf » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:31 pm

Just to mention that Reaper, a $60 software (for small business) supports polyphonic aftertouch.
-- den makes music

HamHat

Post by HamHat » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:18 am

If they do all the updates you want they won't be able to sell a new product!!

Gnuus

Post by Gnuus » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:20 pm

+1

So I can use my Roland drumset :!:
http://myspace.com/aftronics
Live 10 Intro | iMac 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16 GB Ram | Samaon Graphite 49 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | iPad air | ZOOM TAC-2 | Roland TD11

xer4111

Post by xer4111 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:45 pm

I spoke to the developers of Bitwig at the NAMM show. I got a look at the current version (which will be released in March 2014) and they already have several "lanes" of automation that will work with Poly AT when it is implemented. I put my two cents in with them that they are "this close" to fully supporting Poly AT - all they need to do is implement the specification on inputting/recording the data, and then connect the output to the various features they already have supported, which include a timbre/per note (assignable to many options of a synth), panning per note, and a few others I'm not remembering at the moment.

The point being that, along with several other features and problems Ableton users have been pissing about for several years (automation latency and bounce in place to name a couple), it will relatively easy for the Bitwig crew to implement poly AT.

Thus we now see a viable competitor entering the market that will push Ableton to up their game or lose some customers.

That's refreshing. The Bitwig devs are cocky and ready to enter the market as serious players. They are small and willing to listen hard to their customer base.

They've waited a long time to release this product, partly to establish a viable distribution partner in the US, and this is now all in place.

Personally, I'm not overjoyed about jumping ship to have to learn a new software package, but Bitwig has a similar workflow, and it looks really fun.

But I'd still rather see Ableton fully address some of these issues.

It is totally understood that Live was originally an audio program and that midi was added later - this was due to continual pressure from the user base. AND it has broken ground on features NO OTHER program could do. Ableton really does rock that way, but they have a few tough situations to deal with to update their system, whereas Bitwig could take advantage of not having to break new ground and built their platform with features from the ground up that Abelton has to "retool" in order to implement.

Same old game of software development.

I'm rooting for Ableton to play up to the feature set that Bitwig is rolling out. Let's see how well Ableton listens and how well they respond.

In the mean time, I'll just bump my own request to add support for poly AT or at LEAST to allow pass-through.

AFranke

Post by AFranke » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:56 am

+1

adamj

Post by adamj » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:21 am

After wanting one for years, I finally got a keyboard with polyphonic aftertouch. Only to find out Abelton Live completely blocks me from using it because it ignores all poly AT messages. Seriously? Argh...

Between this and the lack of MIDI channel support, Live's MIDI implementation is sadly lacking to the point that I get incredibly frustrated with it. I have lots of cool ideas for things that can be done with MIDI FX and Max for Live, which I simply cannot do because of these limitations. Makes me want to rip my hair out sometimes.

Ableton, I hope you are listening and will consider supporting the MIDI standard properly before too much longer.
Adam Murray
Live 9 + Push on OS X 10.10

vic_france

Post by vic_france » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:13 pm

Having only recently purchased my copy of Ableton Live (which I think is a really excellent piece of software), I too was horrified to discover that polyphonic aftertouch is not supported (it doesn't even pass it as MIDI Thru). Even though there aren't many keyboards that offer this function (but I am lucky enough to own a couple of them ;) ), there are surprisingly many instruments, both hardware and virtual, that do implement it (sometimes, even if their modulation matrix shows only "Aftertouch", it is "smart" enough to recognize whether the incoming aftertouch is channel ~ or poly ~, and respond accordingly).
I do realize that this is no small feat to accomplish if it wasn't implemented during early development of the program, but please reconsider this! Thank you :)
(although I do see that the requests for this go back several years!).
Mac Pro Quad-Core (2009) 2.66 GHz | 16GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3|MOTU Midi Timepiece AV | Mac OS X 10.9.5 | Cubase 8.5.20| DP 9.0.2| Logic Pro X 10.2.2| ProTools 11.3.1| Ableton Live 9.6.1 | Reaper 521 | Studio One Pro 3.2

KainProject

Post by KainProject » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:47 am

+1

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:37 am

+1

Polyphonic Aftertouch is part of the MIDI standard since the 80's and predates Ableton Live 1.0. What's the rationale for not supporting it? To be able to switch it off or thin it out for saving on resources would be nice.
Make some music!

Jdudeo

Post by Jdudeo » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:00 am

+1

manimal

Post by manimal » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:51 pm

How happy i was when i realised i could get a CME XKey 37 and get the most out of my Prophet 12 Module, I didn't even question if Ableton could deal with it..... :evil:

So it's got to be a +1 from me

Sort it out Ableton!
I sell Synth presets
https://sellfy.com/BoBSwanS

GroverGrooves

Post by GroverGrooves » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:35 pm

Come on, guys! We've been asking for this for years. Please have it in version 10.

metasymbol

Post by metasymbol » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:16 am

2015 and still no Polyphonic Aftertouch?

Shame on you, Ableton.

Peter, your turn.
Live Suite 9|27" i7 iMac late 2010 - 10.9.5|15" i7 MB Pro late 2011 - 10.9.5|Saffire Pro 24 + 14|APC80|A-800PRO|Push|HD-3|FCB1010|UltraNova|KeyLab25|M4U|UMI3|Graphite M8|Launchpad|Guitar Wing|BCR2000|Kontakt|GuitarRig|Reaktor|EZdrummer|Diva|Zebra2|MiniV|MidiGuitar|

groumpf

Post by groumpf » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:07 pm

This great "Linnstrument" is using polyphonic aftertouch:

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/linnstrument.html

Unauthorized for Ableton users !
-- den makes music

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Anyone remembers any reasons for not having polyphonic aftertouch in the first place? What could have been behind this omission?
Make some music!