Linux version

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
fzero

Linux version

Post by fzero » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:24 pm

I know this probably will never be done, but i'd really like to use Ableton Live on linux. Windows XP is stable enough *most of the time*, but i want the most stable environment possible on a live situation.

Audio has come of age on Linux. Most professional hardware is supported through ALSA and there are really decent graphic interfaces and toolkits that could be used (GTK+ 2.2 being the most obvious). Besides, probably half of the hard work is already done, as Live runs on OSX which is also unix-like.

Pretty please? ;-)

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:30 pm

this isn't exactly what you want to hear, but Live on an XP has been extremely stable for me in scores of live performances. I don't want to start a flame war, but XP can be really reliable. have you had specific problems, or are you just concerned by all of the pc slagging that users of a certain "other" platform do? Trust me, many, many Live users perform with PC's with no problems at all.

stew

Re: Linux version

Post by stew » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:17 pm

fzero wrote:Besides, probably half of the hard work is already done, as Live runs on OSX which is also unix-like.
That's a common misconception. There are a few parts that Linux and OS X have in common, but that's mostly only the POSIX-level command line stuff and has nothing to do with graphical applications or the audio frameworks. CoreAudio and VST, both of which Live is using, are not available on Linux.

atom_b

Re: Linux version

Post by atom_b » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:34 pm

fzero wrote:I know this probably will never be done, but i'd really like to use Ableton Live on linux. Windows XP is stable enough *most of the time*
I can't see the point in using some POSIX for giving LIVE more stability. It has shown to be extremely reliable on several different WindowsXP installations for me. So I have been using it over seven weeks in a live situation (theatre) without experiencing the slightest touch of a problem. More, I can't remeber a single time when it would crash even in an extreme studio situation (except in beta state).

BTW XP makes, by now, the most reliable base for a DAW, that you could wish for. For sure OSX will catch up.

However, it always depends on how reliable and stable you are, when it comes to configuring hardware and OS. It might take some time and discipline to get it done properly, but this isn't by far to be expected an easy task on any OS.

The only thing really annoying is, that on XP I can't switch of hyperthreading (wich is not supported by LIVE, it kills performance and crackles when turned on) as a startup parameter, not a big thing with a POSIX.
Vaio AR11S
XP Pro SP2
2GB RAM
intel T2500 2GHz
200GB RAID-0
RME FF400

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:37 am

Atom B wrote:
"The only thing really annoying is, that on XP I can't switch of hyperthreading (wich is not supported by LIVE, it kills performance and crackles when turned on) as a startup parameter, not a big thing with a POSIX."

Can you not turn hyperthreading off in your bios? I have an asus board and its the only way you can disable hyperthreading on my system.

Jbo

hyperthreading

Post by Jbo » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:14 pm

is hyperthreading of any use at all? (audio recordist like most here)
I own a P4P800 ASUS deluxe MB I had planned on building an upgrade pc for my DAW purposes, but I am wondering if I need to sell it and wait for PCI express or what. I had bought it to enable the use of native type raid support, but i am disillusioned with the application of disk speed to audio for any improvement, after establishing my raid O array, and hearing no effect, due to my lack of knowledge about incorporating the stuff, and configuring as well.

I am asking for suggested reading material on the subject of pc music production, perhaps with some focus on the universalisation of audio tracks for diverse playback scenarios with positive consistency in resulting sound of playback.

thanks friends

pc soundcard xphome AbletonLivev4 midikeyboards China Strat..... Garritan vst instruments ........(midi-me)

KnTo

Post by KnTo » Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:15 am

What about Live on the new MorphOs/Amiga OS4 platform ,
this is builted on a powerpc 1go processor with a modern mother that can have up to 8 go of ram .
this should be enough to run an audio pro software such as Live , and by the way making that platform popular to new users

http://www.pegasosppc.com http://www.genesi.lu/ http://www.morphos.net/
{°rOcK iS dE@d°}

Jbo

thanks for all response

Post by Jbo » Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:28 am

truly appreciated is your input.

pc soundcard xphome AbletonLivev4 midikeyboards China Strat..... Garritan vst instruments ........(midi-me)

KnTo

Post by KnTo » Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:38 am

i don't own a pegasos but i think there potential to send windows back to his old office usage .....................
i already sent mails to both society ( Genesi , Ableton ) to see if it's reasonable to work on such a projects ,
it seems also that OsX can work on that platform ....... so everything is possible , let's see what's next to come : Atari Coldfire ( stopped project but not buried )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/sdfmusic.htm
{°rOcK iS dE@d°}

Jbo

LISSONING

Post by Jbo » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:22 am

S AL RIGHT what i am now hearing is .. I like it.. plenty rhythm, some melody , enough very dam interestin I dig the conga mans chops..cool link. I didnt see how many tunes there were there, ddyou do this ? If so in part or all, I still hope the makers get paid if only sometime in the future,hopefully way better..
its good.
functional
I may be in a less "open" mood or something in a different period,, duno.. I hope listening to links gets to be a more common occurence. I listen to them all I can when I can.
I am trying to get real by using Garage Band.com's setup, seems to be naturally helpful in many ways, some unexpected.So I venture to try and instigate by doing, some co- listening on these forums, but since Live is real special to me, especially this forum. I am not one to bully, or any of its cousins, or online actually give evidence that I couldn't care less about my fellow musician or any such shit as that, the stuff you know players to be habitual characters of, no online where it can be proven I 'll only INSTIGATE in a way a person might mistakenly imagine I am insulting him, or some crazy mess like that.. But anyway.... people should listen and comment more, that is if they can say some good things, and I try to behave like I appreciate seeing other folks do, maybe I will willfully try to influence people to do certain stuff online I mean.dam some people got dirty fukn minds

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:11 am

i'm soory but english is not as good as it used to be . i didn't understand all your reply . anyway , sounds cool .
i don't listen to lots of music from these sites, don't havu much time to .
i didn't knew these sites . seems pretty cool to .
i went to garageband that's nice too .
do you know this ? www.lowproaudio.com ? from San Francisco , that(s a cool collective , and here is mine : www.psychoprod.org
there r these ones too but they r a bit more commercial .
http://www.vitaminic.com/main
http://www.peoplesound.com/index.htm
:wink:

Jbo

yours is as about as good as mine

Post by Jbo » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:56 pm

I speak in odd ways online sometimes, who doesn't?
Thanks for the links

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:06 am

please count my vote for a linux port! :D

cheers
rsl

typecast

linux to run cheap hardware - say no $$$ to MS windows

Post by typecast » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:54 pm

infact i'd be happy running live (and an audio editor) from a command line

Ideally with some vst's ie. reaktor or pd

It'd be nice to just pay for the software I want to use for the task at hand

I'd keep doing all my other work on my powerbook - I've run out of cpu% but i'm not ready to upgrade yet waiting for G5 powerbook

so i'm going to buy a cheap AMD processor + Asus mboard etc...

Please Ableton, don't make me buy Windows!!!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:22 pm

Maybe if they do the g5 imac in two pieces (screen-chipboard) it might be great thing for live performance.
I believe they will reveal it in september. They must have something up their sleeve for the 20th aniversary of the mac?

I dont know much about linux. but i thought the whole point of it was, that you dont have to buy 500$ apps. And also to have cheaper hardware.