make (everything) assignable

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
scientist

make (everything) assignable

Post by scientist » Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:02 pm

i see a lot of posts in here about making x assignable, or y assignable. i've even posted a few myself. so why can't we just kill all the birds with one stone and make every damn thing on the screen assignable? time signature, arrangement start marker, all that good stuff in the clip window...it wouldn't hurt anybody, and would open up a lot of options for many different ways of working. like in the sample display window assigning the transposition and a grid marker to a kaoss pad for all kinds of pitch shift and stretch mayhem...or the 'arrangement position' window (the digits next to the play button, so one could use an alpha dial to ff/rew. or having control over the sample offset grid in the clip view so you could skip around in a sample while its looping...diyaaaamn! the possibilities are limitless.
dooo iittt!
wrd.
scientific

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:08 pm

word. sounds great to me. Esp the assinging a dial to the song position--and you're right--with so many people using live so many different ways, may as well just give it all to us (or as much as possible).

Ryan

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:30 pm

or they could slowly add interface enhancements with every version, thus slowly making you addicted to upgrades for a long as it take for you to get every single feature you require.

how else would a software company make money? why doen't Ford make the supercars of the future now?? .. I'm sure people like Intel have CPU's that will be available in the market in 2-5 years from now, but there's a lot more in it for them by going from P1.4 to 1.5,1.6,1.7,1.8 than jumping straight to 3ghz...!

gaspode

technically....

Post by gaspode » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:19 pm

While yes... it would be possible for Ford to make a supercar of the future today... it would also be so cost prohibitive that only a few people would likely be able to afford it.

Don't forget... it isn't just about making it, but for every new car... there are regulations that need to be created for it... test run to determine what happens in an accident... emissions standards to follow.

There is something to be said for sticking with the tried and true and only offering minor enhancements from year to year. yeah you run the risk of somebody blowing you out of the water with such a giant leap that you couldn't catch up... but the cost of failure for taking that leap is too great for just about anyone but the little guy.

mattster

Post by mattster » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:39 pm

I would love to see all things assignable. The loop functions in the sample window definatly!!

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:42 am

I would love to be able to shift the start and stop points of the individual clips with a knob, so that would be high on my priority list. Kind of like what Jan Jelinek did on his loop-finding-jazz-records album with an age-old sampler. - This way you can "travel" through a clip/loop that is running, creating interesting, ever changing soundscapes, especially with the "clicks" incurred when you move the beginning/end to a non-zero position.

gaspode

hmmm...

Post by gaspode » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:44 pm

I could see this working... but only if you didn't have warp markers in use...

however... even being able to automate moving the little start 'flag' would be pretty cool. I could see the opportunity for some very neat stutter effects. the best case would be having this setup on a rotary knob instead of a pot :P

FORMAT

Re: hmmm...

Post by FORMAT » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:23 pm

gaspode wrote:I could see this working... but only if you didn't have warp markers in use...

however... even being able to automate moving the little start 'flag' would be pretty cool. I could see the opportunity for some very neat stutter effects. the best case would be having this setup on a rotary knob instead of a pot :P
YEAH! Make the start flag assignable! A dream come true! :wink:

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:55 am

Making the pitch adjustment in the clip window assignable would get me all-a-twitter.

SnackDaddy

Post by SnackDaddy » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:43 pm

Yes, yes, I'm all for *everything* being assignable too!

Especially the clip properties. Assignable transposition would be awesome for me!