Keeping settings when replacing AU plugins with VST plugins

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Timur

Keeping settings when replacing AU plugins with VST plugins

Post by Timur » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:58 pm

When you load a Live-Set on a Windows PC that was setup on a Mac using Audio-Units Live will tell you that the Windows PC does not support AU. So far so good. But since most plugins come in both flavors AU and VST (like all NI plugs) I would like to be able to replace the AU with the corresponding VST while keeping all settings of that plugin. That could either be on the Mac itself or on the PC.

So if someone builds a Live-Set with say Reaktor AU and later wants to change that to VST on the Mac, or you load the AU build version on a PC it would be great if Live offered a way to just exchange the AU Reaktor with the VST Reaktor and keep all Reaktor settings/preset intact. That way you can switch platforms between Mac and Windows more easily and kind of "import" Mac AU build Live-Sets. I had that problem sometimes that a Mac user gave me Live-Sets including AUs and I couldn't use them eventhough I had the plugins installed as VST.

Thanks and Regards! 8)

wayfinder

Re: Keeping settings when replacing AU plugins with VST plugins

Post by wayfinder » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:57 pm

Is this possible by now? If not, I would like to add my support for this wish!

papasonic

Post by papasonic » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:55 am

We have exactly this problem now. Used to have it last year and spend some time readjusting all settings on VST-Reaktor when we put the mac-made liveset on the windows-machine of a theatre that (as most do) plays sounds and music with live for the show.

If any body knowns an answer, we would be very happy for a hint.

bst regards,

p.

papasonic

Post by papasonic » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:22 pm

I talked to someone of ableton when we had this problem, they said they could not do this because of the differences in the VST and AU standards. :-(

I put up every single setting again in the windows-version (I started to use screenshots of the AU-Vs so did not have to switch all the time).

The problem was: it still did not sound the same.

As mac supports both AU and VST, I better start with the VST-Vs. of the NI-PlugIns when I know I have to put it on a PC afterwards. It's the only way!

Cheers Timur!

p

HamHat

Post by HamHat » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:39 pm

I don't know of any DAWs with this capability, but it would be kewl.

djkevinmajor

Post by djkevinmajor » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:16 pm

having that same issue. what you can do is save your presets in the plug-in that needs to be transformed.
in a copy of your file, replace the plug-in in question and then load the saved preset. that works.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:44 pm

djkevinmajor wrote:having that same issue. what you can do is save your presets in the plug-in that needs to be transformed.
in a copy of your file, replace the plug-in in question and then load the saved preset. that works.
This is my current method if I do need this.

I decided some years ago to only use an AU version when a VST version wasn't available, so now I even delete AUs if an installer gets me both (As well as AAX and occasionally VST3, but be careful because it happens that the AU is getting code from that one).

Sometimes I get a project from someone else that has an AU, and if so I either refuse the project or just replace that sound with my own. Life's too short.
Make some music!