pre-selecting clips to be played

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
peeddrroo

pre-selecting clips to be played

Post by peeddrroo » Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:43 pm

hi,

first of all, THANK YOU ableton for your software. it's GREAT!!!

now my point: i'd like to be able to select (in session mode) a range of clips, make them ready to be played (with the "play triangle" on the left green but not blinking), without triggering them.
what i'd like to do is to have several songs in a single set, play the first one, stop the sequencer, select the clips for next song (all in the same scene) and launch them using tap tempo.

other points: it would be nice to be able to resize tracks (still in session mode), as in excel: i would like to see all the tracks on a single screen, even if buttons are too small to be set with the mouse: i use a midi controller, but i need to see which track is muted or not without scrolling.

last but not least: to be able to assign a midi control value to several parameters (say a note on for several track mutes, a fader for several volume faders, and so on...)

that's it for my requests!
hope to see it soon in 3.0.4!

gaspode

Can you...

Post by gaspode » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:38 am

Describe your first point a little further, it sounds interesting, but I'm not certain what this would get you over just setting your global setting to none....

I disagree with your resizing tracks... if you use your F1-F8 keys then you can clearly see which tracks are muted by the fact that the mute light is on. If you need more mutability then you can assign more keys to your other tracks/sends.

Look into Midi Ox or similar for creating custom midi maps that will allow you to set one midi note/cc to multiple notes/cc's.

Greg

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:24 pm

about resizing the tracks, it's just that I have about 20 tracks simultaneously, and I can mute each one with my midi remote control, but I can't see them all without scrolling.

for the first point it's hard to be more specific: my goal is to be able to change tempo between two songs in a single set. so when the first song is over, I want to be able to synch Live to musicians that have already started playing the next song with a new tempo. the problem i have is that i can't launch a new scene using tap-tempo.
the ideal thing would be to be able to select a scene (or individual clips) to be played (with the green triangle on each clip lit but not blinking), having the sequencer stopped, and then tap 4 times, and here it goes.
i don't know how you can achieve this, maybe by pressing shift and selecting clips/scene, though i'd like it to be possible with a midi command.

if you need more explanation, please let me know.
thanks for your feedback and advice.
cheers, pierre

gaspode

Ah now I understand...

Post by gaspode » Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:21 pm

I was assuming you were trying to indicate different functionality... so let me try and rephrase your request and see if it is more in line with what you are looking for.

Ultimately you want to be able to tap in a tempo... say 4 times, 8 times or whatever the number of times are, and then have song kick in at the right time... which given this case would probably be your 'fifth' tap... and not your fourth, since generally you would tap in at the beginning of the first measure... you'd want to start at the beginning of the second measure.

As a few suggestions to try this...

Maybe what you could do would be to tap out your tempo... keep tapping until you sync up... and then use the cross fader to cross fade your loops in.

You could lead in the song yourself and have the band play to wood blocks or something that live outputs to keep everybody on time to begin with so that you dont have this headache...

Uhm... beyond that I guess I am brain dead on ideas for the moment... there are plenty of suggestions on the forums dealing with this topic however.

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:52 pm

I think his main problem that I tried to help with, but can't figure out is this: play some session scenes, then hit the transport stop to keep the last scenes trianles green. Then if you tap the tap tempo 5 times, it kicks in on the fifth (on the one) and starts playing those clips from the scene you stopped at your new tap tempo. cool. But he wants to trigger another scene (makes sense, no need to play the same song twice in a row) with the tap tempo. The problem we're having is getting the new scene ready to go (with green triangles lit but not playing) then being able to tap tempo start it. There seems to be no way to get the new scenes' triangles green short of starting and stopping the scene (which in conjunction with a mute on the master is the best work-around I can think or), which is not ideal or time-efficient in a live situation. Thus I think this is a valid request--maybe there could be a new feature to cue up session tracks (make their triangles green but not playing)--maybe the alt key or something in conjucntion with a mouse click could allow you to select multiple clips (or even just the whole scene) to be ready to go.

Ryan