Multiple Sound Card Support

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
d7z896

Multiple Sound Card Support

Post by d7z896 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:40 am

The greatest feature I'd like to see is multiple sound card support.
I'd like to be able to use my Guitar Rig 2 Controller with a multi output sound card in the same session in Ableton Live.
Anyone else see this as being useful?

zaphodb

Re: Multiple Sound Card Support

Post by zaphodb » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:31 pm

d7z896 wrote:The greatest feature I'd like to see is multiple sound card support.
I'd like to be able to use my Guitar Rig 2 Controller with a multi output sound card in the same session in Ableton Live.
Anyone else see this as being useful?
This may be technically unfeasible. Remember, the audio interface in effect provides the MASTER CLOCK for the entire Ableton environment. Guitar Rig 2 would also "want" to be the master clock. It would be necessary for the GR2 to synchronize (via word clock or some other means) to the primary audio interface for something like this to work. GR 2 does not provide any kind of synchronization.

Add to that the low quality and thin driver implementation of GR 2 (I have one, I know..) and you've got nothing but trouble. I would like what you're talking about, and I have wished for it myself, but after thinking about it I realized that it probably simply is not possible. This is probably why it has not already been done.

d7z896

Post by d7z896 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:05 am

Thanks for the response.
So is there another way to use both devices in Ableton that you know of. Would the asio4all driver provide this functionality?
http://www.asio4all.com/

alvaro

Post by alvaro » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:08 am

d7z896 wrote: So is there another way to use both devices in Ableton that you know of. Would the asio4all driver provide this functionality?
http://www.asio4all.com/
I am using asio4all because that. It works. I need to use my PODxt Live and my m-audio both at the same time and asio4all was the unique way i found to make it works.

Of course would be great if Live could handle by itself more more than one ASIO device on preferences box (although i dont know if that is technically possible).

So +1 here.