Live 7 definitely needs flying plugin windows

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
poshook

Live 7 definitely needs flying plugin windows

Post by poshook » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:36 pm

Spectrum plugin on master track (basic way) is useless when I need to see spectral graph of whole mix while changing levels or EQ on particular tracks in the mix. this is because Spectrum is attached with master track and is hidden everytime I select different track. :evil:

Poster

Post by Poster » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:23 pm

yeah.. but I don't think that flying windows are going to happen any time, soon..

what could be interesting though is the ability to have 'side chain' in on Spectrum so you can see a 2nd graph, in relation to the other graph, in one instance of Spectrum..

sjeeez.. that would actually make alot of sense.. :idea:
one for the wishlist forum..

simon803

Post by simon803 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:34 pm

or...
the ability to expand a track and see spectrum in the same way you can see the mixer, i/o etc... might be more useful that way as a cross reference. especially when trying to discern what track is causing a frequency peak at the master. I'd prefer to see it integrated into the mixer controls rather than a plug in.
17" macbook pro (2.33 ghz / 2 gb ram) osx 10.4.10
m audio quattro or (more often) the onboard card
midisport 2x2
some outboard synths and a lot of big black boxes that weigh a lot and make loud noises.

globalgoon

Post by globalgoon » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:17 pm

More control over lives own windows and panel would be great (especially if you have more than one monitor), but it does break the original design paradigm though!

I have this £$free VST open on my auxilliary monitor:

http://www.voxengo.com/product/SPAN/

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:25 pm

globalgoon wrote:More control over lives own windows and panel would be great (especially if you have more than one monitor), but it does break the original design paradigm though!

hehe...

Guess 'Span' is still the way to go.... kinda sad actually.. :?

poshook

Post by poshook » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:46 pm

globalgoon wrote:More control over lives own windows and panel would be great (especially if you have more than one monitor), but it does break the original design paradigm though!

I used SPAN for several years but now I am Mac user and free 3th party software support for OS X is a nightmare

gustavo bravetti

Post by gustavo bravetti » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:40 pm

What about a "stick" option on the Spectrum GUI dedicated windows (also should include a spectrum placement description)

Another approach could be to implement the "SIDE CHAIN" feature on Spectrum, in that way you can place a Spectrum where you want to play with parameters values and use the "SIDE CHAIN" to select from where you want the audio to be analyzed.
When.

I think the "Stick" method is better, I just suggest the "SIDE CHAIN" because may be it is easier to implement as it is already programmed.

Alex

Post by Alex » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:56 pm

Hi folks,

I moved that thread into the Wishlist forum.

Regards,
/Alex

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:01 pm

Fledz

Post by Fledz » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:57 am

I agree. I need flying windows for the same reason when using spectrum analysers (I use SPAN too ;)) and it gets very annoying how it disappears when you select another track. Makes having another screen kind of pointless. Well not entirely but it significantly reduces the efficiency of your work flow, even on a single monitor.
Nokatus wrote:Image
:lol:

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:14 pm

wow thats stupid.

alvaro

Post by alvaro » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:54 pm

Many of us here indeed choose Live to get far away from this cluttered / mosaic-like daw GUIs.

Flying windows is absolutely against Live GUI design philosophy. It would be
plain horrible that Live becomes another kind of Adobe app.

There are other (and much better) ways for ableton to deliver us a customized gui view.

roby

Post by roby » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:11 pm

alvaro wrote:-1

Many of us here indeed choose Live to get far away from this cluttered / mosaic-like daw GUIs.

There are other (and much better) ways for ableton to deliver us a customized gui view.
True, but taking into account the way people use spectrum analyzers, the flying window idea would be one of the best ideas. That's because peopl like to set a spectrum analyzer on the Master track, and then like to EQ individual tracks while observing what happens to the graph. The problem with Live is that you cannot view different plugin/devices for different tracks at the same time. So when you're looking at the spectrum in the master track, then click on a different audio track, you loose view of the analyzer....

if it's not that, then to be able to view multiple tracks at the same time would be an option, but would clutter thing up too. I think flying windows is the way to go. We already have flying windows for VST plugins, so no harm can be made with making flying windows out of Live devices. This would be so great also for EQs and compressors, specially in situations where you want to EQ a kick drum in relation to a bass guitar, or two vocal tracks.

Also flying windows for VSTs with no GUI would be so great.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:36 pm

roby wrote:

True, but taking into account the way people use spectrum analyzers, the flying window idea would be one of the best ideas. That's because peopl like to set a spectrum analyzer on the Master track, and then like to EQ individual tracks while observing what happens to the graph. The problem with Live is that you cannot view different plugin/devices for different tracks at the same time. So when you're looking at the spectrum in the master track, then click on a different audio track, you loose view of the analyzer....
yesyes, completely idiotic if you ask me. what where they thinking?

roby

Post by roby » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:03 pm

friend_kami wrote:
roby wrote:

yesyes, completely idiotic if you ask me. what where they thinking?
They could introduce something like docking too, though with Live's current GUI, I wouldn't be a fan of this idea. But still, the idea of being able to dock Live devices to a space on the right side of the GUI, where the Lessons usually go, would be an option too. Maybe even have the docker on top of the clip view/plugin view. You could dock any device and plugin on the docker, regardless of what track they belong to....