split in regular intervals

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
{gleeman}

split in regular intervals

Post by {gleeman} » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:27 pm

i would like a function that will split a relatively big sample into pieces of given width. i would like to take a drum improvisation of an hour then clicking "Edit -> Split in regular intervals" or something similar, then being able to select my interval, (e.g. 8 bars or 1 bar or 1/16 of bar or 5 seconds) and having my sample of 1 hour splitted ready to be mixed.

greets.
Proud Live User since version 1

Re: split in regular intervals

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:45 pm

{gleeman} wrote:i would like a function that will split a relatively big sample into pieces of given width. i would like to take a drum improvisation of an hour then clicking "Edit -> Split in regular intervals" or something similar, then being able to select my interval, (e.g. 8 bars or 1 bar or 1/16 of bar or 5 seconds) and having my sample of 1 hour splitted ready to be mixed.

greets.
Unless you (as a drummer) have robot precise timing, I would say that the even splits would not fall on beats, but elsewhere. So...

What about making it a two step process, where you put in a few warp markers, and THESE become your slice points?

L8er
Montrealbreaks

{gleeman}

Post by {gleeman} » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:34 am

i often treat various type of samples cutting them in slices and mixing parts in a random way to obtain confusing and inspiring results, but when i have an 8 bars pad and i cut it in 1/16 then i need to do 128 clicks and 256 option + E...

i was just looking for a way to save my time.

slicing using markers is a good idea, but is not what i meant.

cheers
Proud Live User since version 1

gaspode

How about...

Post by gaspode » Thu May 06, 2004 6:59 pm

This would be a handy function with or without warping. If you didn't need to warp or previously had warped a sample and wanted to break it into 8 bar chunks it would be handy. I've been working with a friend on some very standard house music that is so regular that having to break it into 8 bar measures by hand is kind of tedious.

I do agree though, asking live to piddle with the unwarped and most likely out of time samples is probably a bad idea. I know I'll play on my keyboard for 5-10 minutes and sample out what is best from the take, but when playing for that length or longer, 95% of what is there is most likely not gold. Automating live to break my crap up into smaller pieces of crap doesn't seem quite as useful, and possibly destructive, and as my government teacher used to say "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken manure, no matter how much mayonaise you put in"