wish: midi CC automation parameters in external instrument

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
dinchak

wish: midi CC automation parameters in external instrument

Post by dinchak » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:35 am

this thread has been created in response to andy's message here: http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78018

i would personally find it very convenient if (at least) midi cc's up to 128 were available as automation parameters on the external instrument device. what i mean by this is that when i go into arrange view and select 'External Instrument' in the dropdown for a midi track's automation parameters, midi cc's would be available as selections in addition to 'Device On' and 'Input Gain'. obviously not all instruments would require this type of automation, so maybe this would be a toggle-able feature somewhere (preferably in the device itself). anybody with me? :)

Maldo

Post by Maldo » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:00 pm

I'm very disapointed to read that live 7 is not better than live 6 on that point. Having only midi clip enveloppes to send midi cc to external machines is a real pain in the *ss.... ;-)
So I vote for that feature too!!! :wink:

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:56 pm

I would love this improvement.
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

husker

Post by husker » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:59 am

I was looking for exactly that in the External Instrument in Arrange - CC automation...somewhat surprised it wasn't there. So +1 for sure.

Synthbuilder

Post by Synthbuilder » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:47 pm

Most definitely a +1 from me.

Right now, I have to consolidate clips into one large one and then edit in the midi editor. Not so easy.

Actually, we could do with midi CC automation in the arrange window even without the External plug in. Vaz modular and others have no VSTi automation as such and need CCs to work.

fdevil

yes !

Post by fdevil » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:01 pm

top improvement, please for those who have external synths ...
peace

gvh

Re: wish: midi CC automation parameters in external instrume

Post by gvh » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:21 pm

dinchak wrote:this thread has been created in response to andy's message here: http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78018

i would personally find it very convenient if (at least) midi cc's up to 128 were available as automation parameters on the external instrument device. what i mean by this is that when i go into arrange view and select 'External Instrument' in the dropdown for a midi track's automation parameters, midi cc's would be available as selections in addition to 'Device On' and 'Input Gain'. obviously not all instruments would require this type of automation, so maybe this would be a toggle-able feature somewhere (preferably in the device itself). anybody with me? :)
I'd also like to see a fader and pan knob added to MIDI tracks that would send MIDI channel volume and channel pan, so that the volume and pan of individual MIDI channels on multitimbral instruments could be easily automated.

An additional--and I think significant--benefit would be that individual MIDI channels could then be mixed using external control surfaces. As of now, the faders and pan knobs on my Mackie Universal are "dead" for MIDI tracks assigned to channels of multitimbral devices (which is 90% of what I sequence...).

ytsek

Post by ytsek » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:31 pm

+ 1 + sysex

mintarinan

Post by mintarinan » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:33 pm

I think it's fairly incredible that this didn't make it into 7 - I really hope it is added soon. This is important functionality that is missing. controlling an 'External Instrument' is fairly useless if you can't actually control it!

Until then I will continue to rewire to flstudio (shudder) which has been able to do this for years...

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:03 pm

+1 for me.. ALSO - MIDI CCs attached to clips, so that triggering a clip (audio) would send CCs to an external device.. this would be so handy for VJ applications and also for controlling external synths..
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer