Your Top Three FR for Live 8

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:20 am

hoffman2k wrote:
Cryptic UK wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:What price has gone up? Its still 99€ for the upgrade.
go an boil ya head
You're right. Brain Juice like this needs to be made into a soup.

Mmmmm.... Soup....
whoop whoop it's da sounda the police
Drums

evoid

Post by evoid » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:39 pm

hoffman2k wrote:1) O

2) S

3) C
http://www.ruigato.info
Live Suite 8b16
MacBook Pro 2.4ghz / 4 Gig RAM / 7200 rpm - Quad Q6600 / 8 Gig RAM - OsX 10.5.6
RME Fireface 400 - Jazzmutant Lemur - Nord Modular - Mercurial STC 1000
Reaktor 4 - Reason - Max/MSP 5.0.6

glu

Post by glu » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Improve stability, workflow- small 'features' that help speed up production

CC automation in session- Abes- if you want me to buy your additional instruments, make them as functional as 3rd party VSTs.

more control: more macros, single key commands, Wacom/tablet.touchscreen support, etc - I want to throw my mouse away
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:03 pm

1. looping help (some way to sound on sound record/loop, and first recorded clip sets tempo)
2. modularity (route audio to sampler, use lfos to modulate whatever you want elsewhere, etc.)
3. session automation

forge

Post by forge » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:20 am

glu wrote: CC automation in session- Abes- if you want me to buy your additional instruments, make them as functional as 3rd party VSTs.
here here!

going by this thread, it looks like the universal number 1 request! :wink:

so Live 8 will be the automation in session edition!!!!

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:13 am

^^ it brings up a rage thinking we have to wait another fucking year for that. :evil:

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:07 pm

nowtime wrote:^^ it brings up a rage thinking we have to wait another fucking year for that. :evil:
I really do hope they for once break from the annual update scheme and release a 7.5..
a year is so long..

Chicle777

Post by Chicle777 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:41 am

hoffman2k wrote:
Cryptic UK wrote:
Chicle777 wrote:All these feature requests could/should be done in a Live 7 update. I´m not paying
100 bucks for this.
Yeah well said, why aren't there more people like you.
Thats why the price has gone up, because of the fools on here kissing their arse.

You inbred bastards :)
What price has gone up? Its still 99€ for the upgrade.
Up?! Hahaha...You can´t even keep track of the dollar. Sorry Hoffman, I´ll make it clear for you. That´s about 65 pölses per upgrade. If you want toping, wait one more year. But then it´s called the "new pölse". Keep paying, L

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:32 am

1. Revamp a good portion of the Quantize interface (mainly talking about the input quantize). Input Quantize should be more key bindable. You should also be able to input quantize at 1/32nds and 1/32(3) for that matter.

2. You should at minimum be able to apply different swing percentages to different tracks like having track 1 at 50% groove (16ths), track 2 at 45% groove (16ths), track 3 at 40% groove (32nds).

3. Better control of predetermining lengths of new clips. Should be able to change to default clip lengths to 4 bars, 8 bars, 16 bars etc (at any time during the project easily). 1 bar loops is pretty limiting. I have to create templates with 8 bar loops, 4 bar loops and all.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:11 am

Chicle777 wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:
Cryptic UK wrote: Yeah well said, why aren't there more people like you.
Thats why the price has gone up, because of the fools on here kissing their arse.

You inbred bastards :)
What price has gone up? Its still 99€ for the upgrade.
Up?! Hahaha...You can´t even keep track of the dollar. Sorry Hoffman, I´ll make it clear for you. That´s about 65 pölses per upgrade. If you want toping, wait one more year. But then it´s called the "new pölse". Keep paying, L
Have you ever been to Denmark? 99€ will get you 25 pölses at the most. This place is expensive.

I replaced a 2000€ groovebox with Live. It'll take Ableton another 5-10 years till they made that kinda money from me.
Try asking Roland for a bugfix. Their answer was a new model costing 2300€ which wouldn't appear for another 4 years. The old model got discontinued.
2000€ down the drain...

I'll take Ableton's upgrades over Roland's upgrades any day.

fragchamp

top 3

Post by fragchamp » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm

linked clips
clip automation record
track groups
arrangement view crossfades

in that order (ok so it's four).

Live 7 was a bogus upgrade. It had nothing I needed apart from the audio engine which is mostly imperceptible. Now it's time to give users what they want. Who was asking for sidechained effects and a bunch of instruments? Nobody. Who asked for drum racks? Nobody. Who asked for track groups? So freaking many.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:16 pm

jlgrimes wrote:1. Revamp a good portion of the Quantize interface (mainly talking about the input quantize). Input Quantize should be more key bindable. You should also be able to input quantize at 1/32nds and 1/32(3) for that matter.

2. You should at minimum be able to apply different swing percentages to different tracks like having track 1 at 50% groove (16ths), track 2 at 45% groove (16ths), track 3 at 40% groove (32nds).

3. Better control of predetermining lengths of new clips. Should be able to change to default clip lengths to 4 bars, 8 bars, 16 bars etc (at any time during the project easily). 1 bar loops is pretty limiting. I have to create templates with 8 bar loops, 4 bar loops and all.
Agreed

rydan

Re: top 3

Post by rydan » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:38 pm

fragchamp wrote:linked clips
Live 7 was a bogus upgrade. It had nothing I needed apart from the audio engine which is mostly imperceptible. Now it's time to give users what they want. Who was asking for sidechained effects and a bunch of instruments? Nobody. Who asked for drum racks? Nobody. Who asked for track groups? So freaking many.
Live 7 had, apart from updated midi and audio engines, one HUGELY important feature. Safe solo. Anybody mixing seriously in live will use group tracks, and without safe solo, mixing using loads of groups/stems was pretty much hopeless.

Also, another biggie for me was the rex support. Great, and well implemented in combination with slice/drum racks.

posssu

Post by posssu » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:52 pm

1) Track folders - with the possibility to add effects to the folders too
2) Vocal combing (ie. combining multiple vocal takes into a single clip with only the best parts of each playing) ---- OR maybe this could be done by allowing nesting Live sets by creating a Live set within a Live set? Also in Session view you could load a whole Live set into one clip
3) Recording automation into session clips
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

fragchamp

Post by fragchamp » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:15 am

Ask Sonar users (or any other probably) why they don't like Live and they will probably say "workflow." They'll then cite such missing features as I noted above. If Live seriously wants to compete with other DAWs (and AFAIK only Cubase now is more expensive) then this is where the improvement needs to be. Live has enough key features already, but if I can't use them efficiently then the negatives outweigh the benefits. Some (or all) of these workflow improvements have been requested by lots of people for many years (they are all amongst the most requested last year). I didn't have a problem with Live 6 because the things they did instead were useful and I can't live without them (racks, file management, dual core). Live 7 provided nothing of that calibre. I'll stick with Live 6 for the time being and hope for workflow improvements in Live 8. If they aren't forthcoming, I switch DAW. That is clearly not my preference, so please listen to your users Ableton. Excuses like "if we had a 48 hour day" don't cut it. It's where you direct your coding effort that matters, and I think it would be easy enough to implement all these things in a year. To me, none of them seem as difficult to implement as racks or file management.