Live 4 midi editing...

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
sweetjesus

Live 4 midi editing...

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:07 pm

Hello mr Ableton's.
I would like to request that you make the feel and functionality of your midi editor as close as you can to Fruity Loops. Not because I prefer it, but it has the Piano roll that is the most suited to quick, simple or even detailed programming.

Their step sequencer is okay, but the piano roll as far as piano rolls go is the best of them out there. You have no idea how jealous Cubase users are of most of FL's piano roll ease.

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:43 pm

no offence mate, but i reckon Ableton's midi editor, if it's anything like the audio editor will totally rule.

surely if you like the FL piano roll so much, you could just use FL? :wink:

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:31 pm

duh,
that's why I use FL... and obviously, would like to have an equally great experience when it comes to editing midi.
If your logic were true, editing MIDI in Pro Tools would be a dream, since their audio editing is so great, but hey, guess what...!! It bites the big one.

I do see the point you are trying to make, and that is Ableton developers have proven they can make an awesome interface for a task and they will continue doing so.

Btw, Melbourne is in the same timezone as here... what the hell you doing reading forums on a friday night...?!? :twisted:

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:02 pm

i guess what i'm getting at is that i'm a bit sick of midi editing traditional ways... the look of the midi editing in live4 from the descriptions on this site look kinda cool to me.... you know warping midi like you warp audio...

too be honest i havn't used fruity loops in years...
and as for protools! ... yeah midi and that suck bad.

RE: the friday night posts.... well i just found out that i'm an uncle!

actually waiting on word from my brother from hospital... though it is getting pretty late now... may have to wait until morning to hear all the details....

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:28 pm

Fuck Piano roll editors!

Take a look at step sequencers like the Notron, Doepfer. Sooo much more instant!

I'd like something that had tracker-like depth of editing (list view) but with an interface like a proper step sequencer.

-Paws
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

vengeur masqué

Post by vengeur masqué » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:38 pm

have a look at the amazing five12's Numerology

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:44 pm

I'm quite happy with no!tron in Reaktor :)

But yeah, I know about it.

-Paws
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?

forge

Post by forge » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:50 pm

noisetonepause wrote:I'm quite happy with no!tron in Reaktor :)

But yeah, I know about it.

-Paws
hey Paws,

what's no-tron - is it an ensemble I can download?

I've been trying to get a decent step sequencer out of reaktor but all i found was that crappy step 16 which only lets you have 16 notes at one which is useless for battery - and they're both by the same company!

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:57 pm

Yeah it's in the Userlib. Search for tron and I think you'll find it. It's by Richard Durham, I think his name is.

When you first open it, you'll most likely not understand it at all. There are instructions in the folder however, and it really is quite simple. May not suit all styles of music, but I like it.

Also, check out iCandy and CL909 for good takes on the step sequencer concept (though they're both aimed primarily at percussion, unlike the no!tron which is made for melodies).

Hope you like :)

-Paws

forge

Post by forge » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:12 pm

cool thanks

there now!

Vectrex

pianoroll flash mockup

Post by Vectrex » Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:07 am

yeah I'm really interested in the pianoroll. So much so I did a flash mockup for another program! (www.ioneo.com).

it's flash 7 I think
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8221

All current pianorolls are pretty weak afaik so I'm hoping ableton can breath some live into them.
One vital thing for me though is ghosting of patterns so you only need to change one pattern to change all the references to it throughout the song. I can't see how people use programs without it :)

Re: pianoroll flash mockup

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:01 am

All current pianorolls are pretty weak afaik so I'm hoping ableton can breath some live into them.
One vital thing for me though is ghosting of patterns so you only need to change one pattern to change all the references to it throughout the song. I can't see how people use programs without it :)[/quote]

I love the one in Logic, it's mindbogglingly fast to work with for me, and has the alias function you talk about.
I find the piano roll in FLoops to be almost a piss-take of the one in Logic, key features, like quantizing to (x) instead of 16th notes, are tucked away so well, it seems like the FurityLoops people tried to keep it a secret!!!

-but the hyper editor in Logic is by far the coolest s/w sequencer for drums I've ever worked with - Blistering glitches, rolls and syncopes can be programmed sooo fast.

-- But if the Ableton sequencers don't turn out right, I'll still buy v4, and use my Doepfer Schaltwerk... :D

Vectrex

Post by Vectrex » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:39 am

yeah the logic one is probably the best. But a combo of logic/some functions in fruity and tracktion would make a good pianoroll
I think the scrub line thing in fruity is really important for me (previewing chords etc without playing)

Re: pianoroll flash mockup

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:30 am

Anonymous wrote:but the hyper editor in Logic is by far the coolest s/w sequencer for drums I've ever worked with - Blistering glitches, rolls and syncopes can be programmed sooo fast.
Have you got some screenshots of this happening in Logic? The site has some but I can't tell if it's what I'm after, and you've got me salivating... I have ProTools and I'm dying!