dual monitor support damnit!!!!!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Timbeaux

Re: dual monitor support damnit!!!!!

Post by Timbeaux » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:38 am

timesaving makes the worklow better.

dms is a nice to have, but (of course) not a must have.

3osc

Post by 3osc » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:44 am

bootykowski wrote:
Promote What You Love Instead Of Bashing What You Hate!
Nah, srsly dood. I just have a horribly corrosive sense of humor. No offense meant, just dicking around!

gnurf

Post by gnurf » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:49 am

infernal.machine wrote:Don't know if this has been posted and I don't care.

Floating mixer:
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... loat-mixer
You could spam the forums with it, and I wouldn't report you. It's that useful :)
Timbeaux wrote:to desire something and to complain is not the same
Yeah, I think dual/multi-monitor support would be a very nice thing to have. It would make the software better. I'm not whining or complaining (although the thread title is a bit whiny ;). What I don't get is how vehemently AGAINST a nice little feature some people can be. Is it that important to shoot down people's wishes and ideas?

bootykowski

Post by bootykowski » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:14 pm

gnurf wrote:
Timbeaux wrote:to desire something and to complain is not the same
Yeah, I think dual/multi-monitor support would be a very nice thing to have. It would make the software better. I'm not whining or complaining (although the thread title is a bit whiny ;). What I don't get is how vehemently AGAINST a nice little feature some people can be. Is it that important to shoot down people's wishes and ideas?

No one is against a nice little feature, no one shoots down peoples wishes. but we all have to accept, that DMS and maybe other features are not available in Live 9. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "NICE TO HAVE" AND "DAMNIT!!!" there is very often a lot of negative energy in feature request posts. today, if people don´t get immediatly, what they want, they gonna be haters very quick! Why? do we have no other problems these days? ... take a look at the ableton facebook page. the people are impatient and beefing against abletons policy, ableton did some errors with this release and they did errors in the past, but abletons people are just humans like you and me - and they have to manage a lot of beef in the past ... how to fix issues effective, while you have to manage your angry customers the whole day? people often tend to concentrate the negative aspects, that they are uncapable to see the waaay more positive aspects. i just wanted to get some answers for some technical issues on the FB-timeline and everything i saw was beef. for me and a lot of my friends, that is really annoying. we always try to communicate in a constructive way, we just started to help out, where it is possible...
Last edited by bootykowski on Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bootykowski

Post by bootykowski » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:15 pm

gnurf wrote:
infernal.machine wrote:Don't know if this has been posted and I don't care.

Floating mixer:
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... loat-mixer
You could spam the forums with it, and I wouldn't report you. It's that useful :)
Very useful!

bootykowski

Post by bootykowski » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:22 pm

mbakirov wrote:
bootykowski wrote:
I had the same problem a long time. i was really curious about all the new software releases, i bought everything with no success after.
no better music after every new piece of shit. after the first euphoria with new software, i was really unsatisfied with all the stuff out there. after switching back and keeping it simple (just ableton instead 73 plugins), my personal success growth. i developed a ultrafast workflow in months, getting better and better with ableton. and suddenly there is no reason anymore, to complain about any computer (if i think about all the apple or pc haters) or any instrument.
Great point!
I am a Software DEV and I am configuraholic and always read about new soft\hardware,etc. But now I am starting to think that I have my essential set of instruments, and maybe I need to concentrate more on the music itself. In my active rack I Use Ableton Standard, Sonatina symphonc library for strings, grand piano, hammond plugin, Alpha-ray for synth, and a hardware guitar with Digitech RP355 and this already can produce cool stuff..
BUMP! Live can be so easy - with or without DMS! :lol:

bootykowski

Post by bootykowski » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:38 pm

another word: they released live 9 and developed Push now - with the main goal, that you can play ableton without watching the screen. for me it seems, that a DMS is against their philosophy! why the hell i should waste human recources on implementing a feature for watching on more than one screen, if my main focus is on playing without watching on screens? :idea:

tom.luft

Post by tom.luft » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:41 pm

bootykowski wrote:another word: they released live 9 and developed Push now - with the main goal, that you can play ableton without watching the screen. for me it seems, that a DMS is against their philosophy! why the hell i should waste human recources on implementing a feature for watching on more than one screen, if my main focus is on playing without watching on screens? :idea:
That's a good point - for all the users who use live live. When I use it in a studio environment I might want to have the freedom to create some kind of overview using more monitors.
Live 11.0.2
Windows 10
i7 6700k, 16GB
Scarlett 18i8

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:30 pm

bootykowski wrote:i have a puppy dog here at home, no time to make music, because the baby needs a lot of silent hours, every free second i wanna use for finding a better workflow with the really great upgrade of live 9, instead thinking of features, that are not there!
make sure not to keep the place too quiet with the baby. in fact, the more noise the better... don't let the baby get spoiled by silence... it's a recipe for pain. it is so much easier in the long run to get the little person used to hearing/ignoring extra noise.

bootykowski

Post by bootykowski » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:21 pm

tom.luft wrote:
bootykowski wrote:another word: they released live 9 and developed Push now - with the main goal, that you can play ableton without watching the screen. for me it seems, that a DMS is against their philosophy! why the hell i should waste human recources on implementing a feature for watching on more than one screen, if my main focus is on playing without watching on screens? :idea:
That's a good point - for all the users who use live live. When I use it in a studio environment I might want to have the freedom to create some kind of overview using more monitors.
Yes, that´s right. Understood! but ableton always worked on Live in the direction "keep it simple as possible", i´m sure, they made a lot of hard decisions, always following their own philosophy, sometimes you must decide against some user requests to stay loyal to the own way. Live will stop being Live, if they change their path to much. Later, the whole community will say, Live is not Live anymore, because it´s getting bigger and bigger and necessarily more complicated. If you follow their policy, You see, that the main focus of Ableton is the use as an instrument. For Ableton as Company, the studio environment is more subordinate in my opinion. What about a decision between green and red? green is much more important for you, mixing the red color is complicated in your stadium. so, if green is more important for you, than you usually use your recources for this, instead lose power on the secondary... Automation in Session View, curved Automation, that was the green for Ableton! And thats the green for the most users to. imagine, what happened in the community, if they did DMS instead curved automation? all new features are more musical orientated, that´s better for every user of Live, instead having nice DMS.

When I remember interviews from the makers of ableton, they always said, Ableton is a software for laptop use. and laptops are mobile solutions, that´s the benefit. Remembering my days with logic, i always had 20 windows in the background, it was horrible confusing, not a little bit time saving, because i always was searching for the right window.

I totally agree, that DMS is a cool feature, but the one-window-UI is convenient by its own. you can focus on the detail you are working on. the human brain is constructed for working on tasks one by one. if you have to much input, the brain starts to sort out unnessesary parts and you are getting stressed and unconcentrated earlier. some people say, the new grey is really ugly, but they forget, that simple grey interface is the best against getting tired. whats the use anyhow, if you have a fancy interface, but you are unconcentrated and stressed after a short period? who knows - maybe, it´s much more ergonomic to have a single view instead a lot of information on big screens. in my dayjob, i have a nice workspace with big screens, photoshop stage on the main screen, tools and settings on the 2nd. The benefit is the more space, but i´m really getting tired before lunch 8O . at home i have a 2nd screen too for photoshop and co. but i don´t use it, because I feel much fresher after some hours, I don´t have to move my head in unnatural position to watch on the second monitor. It´s just my personal feeling, i know, but in my company every year i have a ergonomic training, where the instructor shows you the best sitting position. one important part is the view direct in front of you!

maybe the abletons had some psychologists on board to create the user interface. to have a complete overview might be good, but remember, it´s better to make music by your ears, not your eyes!

some people are pissed off, because they take it personal, that Ableton did not fulfill their wishes. but ableton did every decision for the user and for good reasons too.
Last edited by bootykowski on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

bootykowski

Post by bootykowski » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:43 pm

H20nly wrote:
bootykowski wrote:i have a puppy dog here at home, no time to make music, because the baby needs a lot of silent hours, every free second i wanna use for finding a better workflow with the really great upgrade of live 9, instead thinking of features, that are not there!
make sure not to keep the place too quiet with the baby. in fact, the more noise the better... don't let the baby get spoiled by silence... it's a recipe for pain. it is so much easier in the long run to get the little person used to hearing/ignoring extra noise.
Hey, thanks for the tip, you are absolutely right, but the best for the dog is starting slow. 1 1/2 weeks ago, she lost siblings and the mother, she started her live at a small village, now she has to go walkies in a big city with a lot of noise. i did restart making music already, but for the moment just by the piano. she loves opera already - OMG ... :mrgreen: , the beats will follow soon, one by one. it´s my 2nd dog, by my first one, i was too fast, she was getting really nervous... :lol:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:30 pm

Re-arrange-able panes, with snapshots

Is the solution for one screen laptop and multi screen studio setups.

Re-arrange-able panes, with screenset snapshots means multiple midi editors on one screen. It means two mixers one one screen. It means hide the things you don't need while on stage on your one screen. It means customise your one screen for live laptop use.

It also means placing panes into more than one screen.

Same interface as now, but you can move the panes about, and save the positions into snapshots.

bootykowski

Post by bootykowski » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:41 pm

Angstrom wrote:Re-arrange-able panes, with snapshots

Is the solution for one screen laptop and multi screen studio setups.

Re-arrange-able panes, with screenset snapshots means multiple midi editors on one screen. It means two mixers one one screen. It means hide the things you don't need while on stage on your one screen. It means customise your one screen for live laptop use.

It also means placing panes into more than one screen.

Same interface as now, but you can move the panes about, and save the positions into snapshots.
yes, sounds good... maybe they had no time to build that into 9. a lot of people were moaning about the long delay of the release of 9. nobody knows, what was going on at ableton. what about M4L? I´m sure, you can do things like that. the earlier posted patch works really well! and i think thats just the beginning.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:50 pm

personally i would rather make music than bitch about the software
but that's just me :roll:

bootykowski

Post by bootykowski » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:50 pm

i remember the euphoria about bitwig a year ago. now the most people are really pissed of, because of the delay. You can only do once at a time. bring the shit quick to the people and spare with some features or take the time to fulfill all wishes. both ways seems to be wrong, when i take a look at both companys and their community ...
Last edited by bootykowski on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.